Remove this Banner Ad

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Oh mcc not sure whether that helps or not , does the condition of the structure influence decision from heritage trust
im no expert on this, but i know in Sydney its an old trick to allow buildings to fall into a massive state of disrepair to the point its impossible to renovate, so demo is approved.

also what they want isnt a dealbreaker, its what VCAT will impose

Rayzorwire

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Peggy said this at the AGM:

"We will be extremely conscious of historical elements of the Stand which can be preserved in the new facility and our Club Historian, Rhett Bartlett, will be heavily involved in meeting this objective. "

you could also ask him if he still checks in - rbartlett
"Last seen Today at 7:18 PM"

Probably wading through all the posts, be great to hear from Rhett on this issue. :thumbsu:

sregit

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2012
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Richmond
It is disrespectful to our history get rid of it unnecessarily imo.
I wonder what opinion Rhett Bartlett has.
Who gives a sh*t what Rhett Bartlett thinks! It's ugly, it's non functional and not financially viable. Let the national trust remove it and reassemble elsewhere at their cost. How many beautiful Victorian houses have been demolished to make way for appartments? Why did the national trust not fight harder to save them? It's a joke. We are building history for the future and this eyesore is not part of it. I am an old supporter who has passed PRO on my way to the G since 1966. I love what PRO represents. It's not the stand, it's the location that matters, its Richmond.

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
so to keep the stand you are relocating us (per your earlier post saying its inevitable), having the women train somewhere else, so we can preserve a stand for 30 people.

seriously?
Yes, it's of significant historical importance so forget knocking it down and think of something else.
If it's being knocked down so we can have MCG dimensions , that's not a good enough reason imo.
We should preserve our history or you end up like Collingwood.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Yes, it's of significant historical importance so forget knocking it down and think of something else.
If it's being knocked down so we can have MCG dimensions , that's not a good enough reason imo.
so whats the point of it? to sit there to be looked at?

if we leave, who takes over the management and maintenance?

who will want to maintain a stand noone can use?

sregit

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2012
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Richmond
End up like Collingwood, what do you mean? There is nothing that Collingwood has done that suggests they have done the wrong thing in changing their headquarters? You would never know if the pies would have been more successful if they had stayed at Victoria Park. Your argument here holds no relevance.

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Like Collingwood?
You mean like relocating your training facilities elsewhere
Isn’t that what you have suggested we do?

Serenity_Now

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
That’s doesn’t make sense, we’ll end up like Collingwood and move somewhere else if we keep the stand

sregit

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2012
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Richmond
so whats the point of it? to sit there to be looked at?

if we leave, who takes over the management and maintenance?

who will want to maintain a stand noone can use?
You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not the wreck of a stand.

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
That’s far from the main reason, it’s to accommodate a growing club that now includes AFLW in addition to the foundations the club supports , its why we successfully were granted 30mn in funding , and that wasn’t to extend the surface of the ruddy oval

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not wreck of a stand.
Probably see a club like Melbourne by the lot since their own plans got knocked back 🤢

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not wreck of a stand.
That’s a sound argument and it would be interesting how vcat saw it ,let’s pray the chair is a Richmond supporter

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
You don't appreciate it's historical and architectural significance but the experts do.
This is one of only a few grandstands of this vintage left in Melbourne. A small stand at Brunswick Street has been preserved as have stands at the Junction Oval and Glenferrie. The Sydney CG has beautiful heritage stands. Even Bendigo and Maryborough have significant heritage stands, and they are only country towns Our stand holds a commanding presence over the suburb and it resonates with people who just happenn to drive past it regularly. It in some ways symbolizes the suburb and football clubs.
It needs to be re-purposed and renovated. It will be a credit to club members in the future.

Underarm

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
This is one of only a few grandstands of this vintage left in Melbourne. A small stand at Brunswick Street has been preserved as have stands at the Junction Oval and Glenferrie. The Sydney CG has beautiful heritage stands. Even Bendigo and Maryborough have significant heritage stands, and they are only country towns Our stand holds a commanding presence over the suburb and it resonates with people who just happenn to drive past it regularly. It in some ways symbolizes the suburb and football clubs.
It needs to be re-purposed and renovated. It will be a credit to club members in the future.
What's the point of having a stand if you can't use it?

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
That’s a sound argument and it would be interesting how vcat saw it ,let’s pray the chair is a Richmond supporter
I
No. I suggest we tear it down and build a bigger better facility for the club and its members / supporters for years to come, not keep a outdated facility.
I'm tipping you're not an arts and history buff.
It would be embarrassing to fight the National Trust in vcat or court to destroy our own history.
Someone at the club has gone mad .

tigerdan

Premium Gold
Mar 18, 2003
Qatar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dolphins
I know you're joking but having the chair base his decision due to being a richmond supporter will see lawyers take it higher up the totem pole (high court I think), causing more delays.

I know this from a vcat appeal I was involved in. If you lose you can only challenge if it was based on an error of law, not because you didn't like the decision.

The moment someone lodges a vcat appeal it will be 18 months until the decision is handed down.

Tigers Time

Premium Platinum
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Renegades
We are NOT getting anymore land at PRO ever.

If keeping the stand means the club has to move, then fu** the stand. Staying at PRO means more to me then keeping a condemned stand that only holds 30 people ffs 🤦‍♂️. Where the fu** was the national trust when the plan was first released ffs.

Fat lot of good the stand will be when the club has to move to the boonies.

Remove this Banner Ad