News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

For all those in favour of keeping the grand stand if that’s the case are you happy with the club’s training facilities being relocated in the future?

“It needs to be removed to allow for the development of facilities that will ensure Richmond remains in Richmond long into the future,” a club spokesman said.

Would people still want to preserve it if it meant not being able to expand the playing surface to match the dimensions of the 'G?

Reading between the lines, that could well be the sticking point.
Would people still want to preserve it if it meant not being able to expand the playing surface to match the dimensions of the 'G?

I don't know why they train there with all that traffic pollution .

I don’t think it’s the playing surface, I’d say it’s more to do with upgrading the facilities. Would people rather Richmond move to a soulless place like Collingwood has in order to keep a stand that is serving very minimal purpose to the club in the current day?

If we don't get rid of it I don't see how the club can stay on Punt Road.

Do fans really want the alternative of a Tullermarine/bummers set up? No thanks.

Tear it down. The new facilities will do more for the community than the run down stand ever could.

For all those in favour of keeping the grand stand if that’s the case are you happy with the club’s training facilities being relocated in the future?

“It needs to be removed to allow for the development of facilities that will ensure Richmond remains in Richmond long into the future,” a club spokesman said.
Yes , train at a less polluted environment for big sessions and at Punt rd for recovery sessions.

Yes , train at a less polluted environment for big sessions and at Punt rd for recovery sessions.
No way on earth the club could finance and upkeep two facilities

If we don't get rid of it I don't see how the club can stay on Punt Road.

Do fans really want the alternative of a Tullermarine/bummers set up? No thanks.

Tear it down. The new facilities will do more for the community than the run down stand ever could.
Why do you have to 'tear it down' , it sounds like your enjoying it.
Jack Dyers ghost is not happy.

Why do you have to 'tear it down' , it sounds like your enjoying it.
Jack Dyers ghost is not happy.
Because it’s unfit to serve the purpose it was built for in the first place
No point keeping it for nostalgia and no other reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why they train there with all that traffic pollution .

Not ideal, that's for sure, but I guess it can only improve once most cars on the road are electric.

I don’t think it’s the playing surface, I’d say it’s more to do with upgrading the facilities.

I can't find the dimensions for Punt Rd, but I do vaguely remember a similar discussion back in the late 90's where someone said that the ground is so small that it would cost a mint to expand to 'G size because the facilities would have to go to accommodate it.

Thank god wiser heads may prevail over the bulldozer brigade. Incredibly significant structure, to the club and to the Yarra Park/Richmond community. And what justification to it's removal? Creative architecture all that is required to have a wonderful blend of the old and new at PRO, there is oodles of space as I have shown with maps posted previously.

We already see the furphy 'It goes or we go' getting rolled out in response...as if any club would leave the greatest real estate in football because the offices are getting cramped..cram in together and enjoy it, the club won't always be this big and successful, we will shrink again when we inevitably fall down the table. That's football, boom and bust.

Finally, the fact that we have been a GOAT side the last 4 years with a training ground that is a mash-up of the MCG and Kardinia Park ground shapes puts paid to that argument too.

I just don't see a foothold for the demolishonists on this one.

Dan should get involved and rebuild the punt rd-Brunton Ave intersection. Make it a tunnel, give some space in that south east corner to the oval redevelopment and create a pedestrian only thoroughfare from the train station to the G.
this this this and this, except my proposal is a footbridge over Brunton rather than a tunnel, cheaper I reckon.

..81 billion dollars so far for Dan's 'big build'...is it even over yet?

This is such an easy sell too, protect cultural significance at PRO and remove the death trap that is the Richmond station Brunton Av exit.

I suspect this is the major issue.

Not sure it would be possible to retain the stand and squeeze a playing surface the size of the G into the space between the stand, Punt Rd., and Brunton Ave.

Personally, I like these old stands and would like the Jack Dyer Stand to stay, but also want the club to do everything possible to ensure future success.

These problems are always open to solution but only if you throw enough money at it so it's ultimately a question of how much are people prepared to spend.

If it was already heritage listed this thing called creativity would have to be utilised.

But nah this is all about wanting shiny new digs so we can lol at Collingwood.

If anything it shows that the recent development was done half arsed.

For what it's worth, I used Google earth images to cut and paste the playing surface of the G over the playing surface of Punt Rd Oval.

It gives an idea of the problem we're facing.

I turned the G surface into a grey "blob" so it can be easily seen. It was a bit hard to see otherwise.

1618949927105.png

What a joke! Doesn’t fit the clubs needs any longer and it’s hardly a wonderful piece of architecture. The old MCC members stand was of much more historical significance than this old eyesore.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they make the ridiculous decision to list it, but that’d be as bad as the listing of the old members stand at VFL Park, truly a joke! That’s the biggest eyesore in the city of Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back