News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it's of significant historical importance so forget knocking it down and think of something else.
If it's being knocked down so we can have MCG dimensions , that's not a good enough reason imo.
We should preserve our history or you end up like Collingwood.
That’s doesn’t make sense, we’ll end up like Collingwood and move somewhere else if we keep the stand

so whats the point of it? to sit there to be looked at?

if we leave, who takes over the management and maintenance?

who will want to maintain a stand noone can use?
You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not the wreck of a stand.

Yes, it's of significant historical importance so forget knocking it down and think of something else.
If it's being knocked down so we can have MCG dimensions , that's not a good enough reason imo.
We should preserve our history or you end up like Collingwood.
That’s far from the main reason, it’s to accommodate a growing club that now includes AFLW in addition to the foundations the club supports , its why we successfully were granted 30mn in funding , and that wasn’t to extend the surface of the ruddy oval

You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not wreck of a stand.
Probably see a club like Melbourne by the lot since their own plans got knocked back 🤢

You are spot on. Who supports the wreck financially if we leave? If RFC were to say the stand goes or the club goes, would those in favour of keeping the building feel the same if RFC was no longer at that location? It's the location of the club that is significant not wreck of a stand.
That’s a sound argument and it would be interesting how vcat saw it ,let’s pray the chair is a Richmond supporter

You don't appreciate it's historical and architectural significance but the experts do.
This is one of only a few grandstands of this vintage left in Melbourne. A small stand at Brunswick Street has been preserved as have stands at the Junction Oval and Glenferrie. The Sydney CG has beautiful heritage stands. Even Bendigo and Maryborough have significant heritage stands, and they are only country towns Our stand holds a commanding presence over the suburb and it resonates with people who just happenn to drive past it regularly. It in some ways symbolizes the suburb and football clubs.
It needs to be re-purposed and renovated. It will be a credit to club members in the future.

Like Collingwood?
You mean like relocating your training facilities elsewhere
Isn’t that what you have suggested we do?
No. I suggest we tear it down and build a bigger better facility for the club and its members / supporters for years to come, not keep a outdated facility.

This is one of only a few grandstands of this vintage left in Melbourne. A small stand at Brunswick Street has been preserved as have stands at the Junction Oval and Glenferrie. The Sydney CG has beautiful heritage stands. Even Bendigo and Maryborough have significant heritage stands, and they are only country towns Our stand holds a commanding presence over the suburb and it resonates with people who just happenn to drive past it regularly. It in some ways symbolizes the suburb and football clubs.
It needs to be re-purposed and renovated. It will be a credit to club members in the future.
What's the point of having a stand if you can't use it?

That’s a sound argument and it would be interesting how vcat saw it ,let’s pray the chair is a Richmond supporter
I
No. I suggest we tear it down and build a bigger better facility for the club and its members / supporters for years to come, not keep a outdated facility.
I'm tipping you're not an arts and history buff.
It would be embarrassing to fight the National Trust in vcat or court to destroy our own history.
Someone at the club has gone mad .

I know you're joking but having the chair base his decision due to being a richmond supporter will see lawyers take it higher up the totem pole (high court I think), causing more delays.

I know this from a vcat appeal I was involved in. If you lose you can only challenge if it was based on an error of law, not because you didn't like the decision.

The moment someone lodges a vcat appeal it will be 18 months until the decision is handed down.

We are NOT getting anymore land at PRO ever.

If keeping the stand means the club has to move, then * the stand. Staying at PRO means more to me then keeping a condemned stand that only holds 30 people ffs 🤦‍♂️. Where the * was the national trust when the plan was first released ffs.

Fat lot of good the stand will be when the club has to move to the boonies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im no expert on this, but i know in Sydney its an old trick to allow buildings to fall into a massive state of disrepair to the point its impossible to renovate, so demo is approved.

also what they want isnt a dealbreaker, its what VCAT will impose
in Melbourne there is a 'mysterious fire' on Saturday evening, then the owners move in with the bulldozers early Sunday morning.

I
It would be embarrassing to fight the National Trust in vcat or court to destroy our own history.
VCAT IS A TOO
I
I actually live in a heritage overlay area in Hawthorn and have attended several VCAT hearings to try and prevent lovely homes being destroyed, so builders and individuals could build something modern.

One thing I've learnt is that VCAT will oppose a development provided it does not cost them financially. Every application opposed by VCAT Disputed via the legal system/courts has been granted for they do not have the budget to fight the disputes. If RFC take it to coUrt VCAT will fold. VCAT IS A TOOTHLESS ORGANISATION.

If National Trust wants it kept they can pay to stick Brunton avenue under it
This is the best alignment I can find for an MCG size field (so includes the distance from fence to boundary)
View attachment 1108357
It doesn't look like there's enough room even without the grandstand .

It doesn't look like there's enough room even without the grandstand .
The plans have been submitted. There is room, the oval would move north of your diagram towards the top.

mcc are campaigners they could easily give us some land i bet if it was melbourne they'd give it

the last time their grass near the jack dyer was used was when some campaigners had sex in the 60s on it

Thank god wiser heads may prevail over the bulldozer brigade. Incredibly significant structure, to the club and to the Yarra Park/Richmond community. And what justification to it's removal? Creative architecture all that is required to have a wonderful blend of the old and new at PRO, there is oodles of space as I have shown with maps posted previously.

We already see the furphy 'It goes or we go' getting rolled out in response...as if any club would leave the greatest real estate in football because the offices are getting cramped..cram in together and enjoy it, the club won't always be this big and successful, we will shrink again when we inevitably fall down the table. That's football, boom and bust.

Finally, the fact that we have been a GOAT side the last 4 years with a training ground that is a mash-up of the MCG and Kardinia Park ground shapes puts paid to that argument too.

I just don't see a foothold for the demolishonists on this one.
The club has no dedicated training space/change rooms for the womens teams. When games are played at the ground opposition teams were/are using portables as their change room.

They also struggle to accommodate the administrative staff, the coaches, the KGI & BHF in the current building and can't use most if the facilities in the Jack Dyer Stand.

The club isn't going to shrink as we move forward it is only going to get bigger as we'll see the return of the VFLW side down the track, the KGI & BHF continue to expand in size as well.

Hence the reason why the new facility is required. Otherwise the club may well be forced to relocate some if not all of the club to ensure it's future.

As for the ground size not being MCG size and it not making a difference because we've been so good the last 4 years. You may be right, but now imagine how much better we could become if we're actually able to train on a ground that's the same size moving forward, where we can actually implement set ups and structures in training before putting then into play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back