News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
In what part of the G can you see any history?
All I see is concrete and digital advertising .
Concrete can't be historic it's been proven that concrete is actually just a imaginary material

Everything ever made of concrete is 100% not real and never existed ..... Zzz

Building material doesn't define history. Physical presence doesn't define history.
Man made constructs don't define history.

Spirit and culture are two things that can outlive any construction. They are the things we should be cultivating and watching over as custodians.

The best way to honour those that came before is to allow the continuation of their spirit and culture. Not fapping over a material object.

The redevelopment ticks the boxes in a number of areas...

- improves community access to sporting events and facilities
- improves football clubs elite training facilities
- improves the clubs ability to have a positive impact through community outreach programs
- maximises the productiveness of the land for it's intended purpose (as a sports ground and training facility with community assets)

It is sad to see a much loved and relatively old (in the minds of contemporary human beings) piece of architecture removed to pave the way for it. But the blokes who built the original stand would hardly be up in arms about it.

Every "old" building that we bemoan the loss of replaced something older that was there before it. Having a stand like that built in it's time would've been a huge boon for local clubs and community. Because of very similar reasons to above.

Perhaps there was some resistance to building it at the time due to the acknowledgement of losing what was there before. But they made a compromise and it all worked out pretty well. Until that buildings state became condemned and it no longer served the purpose it was built for. Much like the parkland failed to house enough facilities and fans at the time the JDS was built.

Because we looked at it slowly rotting away for 50 years and thought "Gee that used to be a great grandstand in it's time"

So why did the national trust not give a s**t until now if it is so special?

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
In what part of the G can you see any history?
All I see is concrete and digital advertising .
It's the feel of 100,000 people together. I was there when it held over 100,000 too. I remember that feeling. Olympics were held there although I didn't experience that event.
I could go to the MCG museum to see any other history. Maybe the new JDS can have a museum of Richmond history?

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If we do have to go down path of option B as in preserving stand there is still plenty of room for further structures behind goals and around the scoreboard area , get clever and anything is possible
Have a look at a map. You can't just close your eyes and wish for there to be space that doesn't exist.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Because it's easier to have a whinge now than bankroll heritage maintenance for a half century

And because people hate having things taken away from them even if it's something they never cared for or invested in while it was there
So why did the national trust not give a sh*t until now if it is so special?

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Problem is that requires a buttload of money and a buttload of lobbying to change policy. There's a lot of red tape going that way, not just the actual preserving of the stand itself, but utilising the space that is there currently.
If we do have to go down path of option B as in preserving stand there is still plenty of room for further structures behind goals and around the scoreboard area , get clever and anything is possible

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Have a look at a map. You can't just close your eyes and wish for there to be space that doesn't exist.
I had a good look on Saturday , in particular behind the goals and if the stand was preserved under that could be used . Listen I hope that we re ok with demolishing it however there are other viable options, more viable than relocating to mandalay

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
No doubt the residents groups would have something to say about construction behind the goals, it would block their view of the horrible windows we were forced to install because of them
I had a good look on Saturday , in particular behind the goals and if the stand was preserved under that could be used . Listen I hope that we re ok with demolishing it however there are other viable options, more viable than relocating to mandalay

It is funded by corporates who want their brand on view on punt road plus there will be corporate boxes for the rich.

okay, time to call a spade a ******* shovel

1) how many corporate boxes are being installed?
2) how many people will each host?
3) how much are the rich paying for this privilage?

This seems to be your biggest concern, so I assume you have some great detail on the corporate boxes being installed

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
okay, time to call a spade a ******* shovel

1) how many corporate boxes are being installed?
2) how many people will each host?
3) how much are the rich paying for this privilage?

This seems to be your biggest concern, so I assume you have some great detail on the corporate boxes being installed
My sauce says Clive Palmer has 2 and Gina has 4, looking at tops 3 people in each box for social distancing reasons.
Federal government paying 30k a year for each box... but they need 6 of them so that they can have 3 for male and 3 for female staffers, because they've had mixed results with shared spaces

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
once again, the biggest stadium in Australia is not 100 m up the road and is a similar distance from Richmond station boundary to the playing surface!!
(ca. 60 metres drawn on both maps)
THERE IS OODLES OF ROOM
What is lacking is creativity and sensibility.
Bulldozer mentality.

MCG distance.png

PRO distance.png

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
What happens if you draw a 60m line from the closest point of PRO like the MCG line instead of diagonal from the end of the ground
once again, the biggest stadium in Australia is not 100 m up the road and is a similar distance from Richmond station boundary to the playing surface!!
(ca. 60 metres drawn on both maps)
THERE IS OODLES OF ROOM
What is lacking is creativity and sensibility.
Bulldozer mentality.

View attachment 1112447
View attachment 1112449

Edit: I just did the math (no pics soz) and the different in metres is approximately 1grandstandtre

Last edited:

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
What happens if you draw a 60m line from the closest point of PRO like the MCG line instead of diagonal from the end of the ground

Edit: I just did the math (no pics soz) and the different in metres is approximately 1grandstandtre
Sure but we are not building the Southern Stand either!

We need a stadium a third of the footprint of the Southern Stand.

There is oodles of room. Happy to discuss other issues, but if you can fit the Southern Stand between Richmond station and the pitch just 100m up the road, claims that the only place to put a stand is on top of the JDS at PRO are simply untrue.

Back