News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure but we are not building the Southern Stand either!

We need a stadium a third of the footprint of the Southern Stand.

There is oodles of room. Happy to discuss other issues, but if you can fit the Southern Stand between Richmond station and the pitch just 100m up the road, claims that the only place to put a stand is on top of the JDS at PRO are simply untrue.
Get it through your f-ing head that we aren't building over Brunton Ave 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Get it through your f-ing head that we aren't building over Brunton Ave 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Why not? People said we couldn't win a premiership in 2017.

My point is, we certainly *could* build on that side of PRO and thus retain the JDS. There is space.

Imagine the JDS, David Mandie, and the new DMS (dusty Martin stand) curling around PRO. Would be absolutely stunning, I'd be so proud of the club, just hoping there is someone there with the will and vision to pull it off.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
once again, the biggest stadium in Australia is not 100 m up the road and is a similar distance from Richmond station boundary to the playing surface!!
(ca. 60 metres drawn on both maps)
THERE IS OODLES OF ROOM
What is lacking is creativity and sensibility.
Bulldozer mentality.

View attachment 1112447
View attachment 1112449
So what you’re saying is that PRO is as close as it can get to the train station/road, and therefore to get bigger it needs to move north.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah you're right... But the difference in land there is literally the size of the stand minus 1m of grass.

The angle of the ground can't be changed as the road and buildings are too close. Increasing oval size is part of the development anyway.

It's not about a lack of imagination it's about land, policy and money constraints. There have been a lot of creative designs over the years which include a raft of building options on various positions.

None of them have happened. Because of the above constraints. So we make compromises.

That's how life works. Sometimes you can have the cake and eat it. Sometimes you can't.
Sure but we are not building the Southern Stand either!

We need a stadium a third of the footprint of the Southern Stand.

There is oodles of room. Happy to discuss other issues, but if you can fit the Southern Stand between Richmond station and the pitch just 100m up the road, claims that the only place to put a stand is on top of the JDS at PRO are simply untrue.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
So what you’re saying is that PRO is as close as it can get to the train station/road, and therefore to get bigger it needs to move north.
My position has always been that pedestrian traffic must be completely excluded from street level concourse at the Brunton Ave exit of Richmond station as it is a safety disaster area.

The redundant ticket box and portico structures be removed and Brunton Ave diverted to run tight against Richmond station to Punt Rd. No footpath, no pedestrians, just as there are none north-bound on Punt Road under Richmond station.

A footbridge takes fans from the Brunton Ave exit of Richmond station into the MCG precinct.

That all has to happen *yesterday* irregardless, the gov/MCC have refused to put a safe crossing over Brunton Ave for years and will be a massive target for compensation the moment anyone is injured trying to get to a game. It's a ticking timebomb that must be defused asap.

That is all separate to the question of PRO development. Once that safety blackspot has been taken care of you have plenty of space for a new stand between Brunton and PRO, we just need to find the justification in these straitened times.

As discussed, the AFLW/community hub is the only way to get that across the line. As I said, linking it and giving VicGov/TAC/MCC a final chance to fix the current pedestrian kill-zone crossing Brunton from Richmond station will help too.

Last edited:
My position has always been that pedestrian traffic must be completely excluded from street level concourse at the Brunton Ave exit of Richmond station as it is a safety disaster area.

The redundant ticket box and portico structures be removed and Brunton Ave diverted to run tight against Richmond station to Punt Rd. No footpath, no pedestrians, just as there are none north-bound on Punt Road under Richmond station.

A footbridge takes fans from the Brunton Ave exit of Richmond station into the MCG precinct.

That all has to happen *yesterday* irregardless, the gov/MCC have refused to put a safe crossing over Brunton Ave for years and will be a massive target for compensation the moment anyone is injured trying to get to a game. It's a ticking timebomb that must be defused asap.

That is all separate to the question of PRO development. Once that safety blackspot has been taken care of you have plenty of space for a new stand between Brunton and PRO, we just need to find the justification in these straitened times.

As discussed, the AFLW/community hub is the only way to get that across the line. As I said, linking it and giving VicGov/TAC/MCC a final chance to fix the current pedestrian kill-zone crossing Brunton from Richmond station will help too.

1) there is plans for a redevelopment of Richmond Station, and it is likely to include a footbridge connecting the concourse to Yarra Park. BUT the redevelopment will only start proper planning after Metro is complete. This is because the Pakenham/Cranbourne line will no longer be using the station, so there are questions on how the station's use will be changed (as the other lines get more traffic on them due to less congestion in the Loop). This is a long term project, and i suspect its a 2030 timeline issue

2) There is ZERO chance of the govt redoing brunton avenue and gifting us land from any realignment. It would be political suicide

3) The cost of having a building hang above Brunton Ave massively increases the cost of the development. Where are you expecting the club to get that money from?

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

On what planet is the govt going to casually move Brunton Ave aside and just give us the extra land? Put the pipe down mate.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
On what planet is the govt going to casually move Brunton Ave aside and just give us the extra land? Put the pipe down mate.
as we have all said, noone is suggesting that RFC should ask for more space- you are preaching to the converted.

This has to be pitched as space for a new, central AFLW venue and community hubs, they are more than deserving causes, and absolutely pitchable at state and fed level.

It's also about efficient use of the land in that congested area- the concourse outside Richmond station and along Brunton is criminally under-utilized and a centrsl part of a pedestrian safety hazard. It was due to be removed or upgraded about 30 years ago.

as we have all said, noone is suggesting that RFC should ask for more space- you are preaching to the converted.

This has to be pitched as space for a new, central AFLW venue and community hubs, they are more than deserving causes, and absolutely pitchable at state and fed level.

It's also about efficient use of the land in that congested area- the concourse outside Richmond station and along Brunton is criminally under-utilized and a centrsl part of a pedestrian safety hazard. It was due to be removed or upgraded about 30 years ago.

Princes Park already has that job

next idea?

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
1) there is plans for a redevelopment of Richmond Station, and it is likely to include a footbridge connecting the concourse to Yarra Park. BUT the redevelopment will only start proper planning after Metro is complete. This is because the Pakenham/Cranbourne line will no longer be using the station, so there are questions on how the station's use will be changed (as the other lines get more traffic on them due to less congestion in the Loop). This is a long term project, and i suspect its a 2030 timeline issue

2) There is ZERO chance of the govt redoing brunton avenue and gifting us land from any realignment. It would be political suicide

3) The cost of having a building hang above Brunton Ave massively increases the cost of the development. Where are you expecting the club to get that money from?
1) The safety blackspot at the Brunton Ave exit should have been fixed at least 30 years ago. A footbridge is just catching up and is SUPER economically sound. Just imagine the cost of Police directing traffic on that road for every big game over so many decades. Thousands upon thousands of people hours wasted. Not to mention the serious liability if a footy fan gets hit crossing Brunton this coming weekend. It's not going to the game that is the issue, it is the late leavers who are sozzled and buzzed after a win and go kamikaze across Brunton with the cops long gone. It absolutely must be treated separately to the Richmond station refurb, which I agree is years away. We simply can't afford to wait on this.

2) that land would belong to Yarra Park, not to tenants like RFC! And the amenity of Yarra Park would be increased significantly, if expansion is for AFLW facilities and community hubs as claimed.

3) Where is the money for any of this coming from? We have to make a case and go cap in hand to funders for any of this. What is the cost of tearing down a culturally significant structure for the community of the suburb that birthed and has hosted the club for 100+ years?

1) The safety blackspot at the Brunton Ave exit should have been fixed at least 30 years ago. A footbridge is just catching up and is SUPER economically sound. Just imagine the cost of Police directing traffic on that road for every big game over so many decades. Thousands upon thousands of people hours wasted. Not to mention the serious liability if a footy fan gets hit crossing Brunton this coming weekend. It's not going to the game that is the issue, it is the late leavers who are sozzled and buzzed after a win and go kamikaze across Brunton with the cops long gone. It absolutely must be treated separately to the Richmond station refurb, which I agree is years away. We simply can't afford to wait on this.

2) that land would belong to Yarra Park, not to tenants like RFC! And the amenity of Yarra Park would be increased significantly, if expansion is for AFLW facilities and community hubs as claimed.

3) Where is the money for any of this coming from? We have to make a case and go cap in hand to funders for any of this. What is the cost of tearing down a culturally significant structure for the community of the suburb that birthed and has hosted the club for 100+ years?

1) how many people have died at that intersection for you to call it a blackstop?

2) Yes, the land would belong to Yarra Park, but NOT our lease of a portion on the park. Understand this, with the greens as powerful as they are in the MCC there is ZERO chance of our lease area increasing. Again, the greens want to ban cars from Yarra Park completely, they will not agree to a private club being gifted more land for exclusive use.

3) I love this. You increase the budget by at least 100%, and when asked where the money is coming from you just shrug.

I will only post this, our clubs motto of recent times:

why dont you say lets play our home games on the moon then? its just as likely - especially AFTER the govt just gave millions to Princes Park to make it an AFLW hub

when coming up with ideas, do you even think of the cost implications or public waste?

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
1) how many people have died at that intersection for you to call it a blackstop?

2) Yes, the land would belong to Yarra Park, but NOT our lease of a portion on the park. Understand this, with the greens as powerful as they are in the MCC there is ZERO chance of our lease area increasing. Again, the greens want to ban cars from Yarra Park completely, they will not agree to a private club being gifted more land for exclusive use.

3) I love this. You increase the budget by at least 100%, and when asked where the money is coming from you just shrug.
Out of interest do you know what they'd rather do instead of cars parking there? Honestly myself I'd rather have grass used as car parking than grass to look at from an environmentally friendly viewpoint

If they were going to plant it out with indigenous vegetation or something/utilise the space for community sure...

But grass for the sake of grass totally goes against true "green" spirit.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
The 100,000 comfortable seats.
Architecturally, the view looking up the Yarra from Southbank is stunningView attachment 1110263

me I prefer this architectural simplicity
1620116408766.jpeg

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
why dont you say lets play our home games on the moon then? its just as likely - especially AFTER the govt just gave millions to Princes Park to make it an AFLW hub

when coming up with ideas, do you even think of the cost implications or public waste?
When archeologists dig up australia in 2000 years it will be all football stadiums

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Given its condemned, they would have to dismantle it, tagging every piece as they do. Then re-engineer around what they can use again, what they are going to have to replace. And then rebuild.

Again, for the five hundredth time, the club costed this option AND the idea of relocating the stand to another suburban oval. It was too cost prohibitive
I spoke to a close friend who is in heritage restoration architecture , and he said tear it down

I spoke to a close friend who is in heritage restoration architecture , and he said tear it down
I’m for tearing the stand I personally think it hampers the growth of the club and is no longer able to be used for the very point it was built for but out of curiosity did he say why he thinks that’s the way to go?

Out of interest do you know what they'd rather do instead of cars parking there? Honestly myself I'd rather have grass used as car parking than grass to look at from an environmentally friendly viewpoint

If they were going to plant it out with indigenous vegetation or something/utilise the space for community sure...

But grass for the sake of grass totally goes against true "green" spirit.

more trees, and used solely as a public park

My god. How are you super humans still trying to talk sense into the senseless? I think their arguments just continuously cycle through every time you all out facts them. I just have no words to describe your greatness. Patients of saints.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Interesting.... I don't mind more trees but I don't get how the grass isn't useful as public park on non-match days in its current form

Unless they plan on putting a giant playground outside every gate and 10 BBQs

Plenty of grass for kicking balls, taichi, yoga, cricket, picnics etc as is...

But that's an argument for another thread
more trees, and used solely as a public park

Interesting.... I don't mind more trees but I don't get how the grass isn't useful as public park on non-match days in its current form

Unless they plan on putting a giant playground outside every gate and 10 BBQs

Plenty of grass for kicking balls, taichi, yoga, cricket, picnics etc as is...

But that's an argument for another thread

The cars are bad for the trees, which is why the prohibition perimeter has been getting larger

Back