News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's fair enough then, I'm happy to see car parking reduced

Personally I use a bike or public transport 99% of the time

We should turf the turf around the trees too while we are there and help the trees a bit more because it sucks
The cars are bad for the trees, which is why the prohibition perimeter has been getting larger

Last Friday night , I walked in behind the stand , I gotta say , there’s a s**t ton of space behind the goals to build a structure . Ffs what are we trying to do , house half the public service. If we can’t demolish the stand then just get on with it . Gut the old stand and create new change rooms and gym and then add new structure . It’s that simple . Might cost a few lousy million more , who cares , just get it done

Last Friday night , I walked in behind the stand , I gotta say , there’s a sh*t ton of space behind the goals to build a structure . Ffs what are we trying to do , house half the public service. If we can’t demolish the stand then just get on with it . Gut the old stand and create new change rooms and gym and then add new structure . It’s that simple . Might cost a few lousy million more , who cares , just get it done
I'm not a builder myself, but how easy is it to get permits to gut and renovate a building of that age in that state that can't even have people on it?
And then what happens to the staff and facilities houses in the stand currently?
We also then lose the space for fans around the goal end... Seeing as we can't use the stand as it is I feel like reducing capacity further is not the outcome we want?

Last Friday night , I walked in behind the stand , I gotta say , there’s a sh*t ton of space behind the goals to build a structure . Ffs what are we trying to do , house half the public service. If we can’t demolish the stand then just get on with it . Gut the old stand and create new change rooms and gym and then add new structure . It’s that simple . Might cost a few lousy million more , who cares , just get it done
The space behind the goals won’t help widen the ground

I'm sure the club looked at every possibility that included keeping the grandstand.

I do love that people think the attitude of "just do it" "make it happen" and "get creative" can be applied to a construction/engineering problem for a non profit sporting team.

Needs more creative thinking like residential property developers who find a way to squeeze every inch out of a block of land and build fence to fence 2 stories high monster homes
I'm sure the club looked at every possibility that included keeping the grandstand.

I do love that people think the attitude of "just do it" "make it happen" and "get creative" can be applied to a construction/engineering problem for a non profit sporting team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a builder myself, but how easy is it to get permits to gut and renovate a building of that age in that state that can't even have people on it?
And then what happens to the staff and facilities houses in the stand currently?
We also then lose the space for fans around the goal end... Seeing as we can't use the stand as it is I feel like reducing capacity further is not the outcome we want?

the fact noone is allowed inside it, and only 30 people are allowed in the stand should indicate how ****ed the structure is. it needs to be completely rebuilt to be structurally sound, and this means dismantling it completely, figuring out what can be reused and what cannot. designing a way to engineer around the stuff that gets turfed, and then rebuild/reassemble.

this process is not cheap

the club is on record saying that they looked at dismantling and rebuilding the stand at another location, but the cost was prohibitive. my gut call (and its only a gut call) is this probably indicates how delicate the structure is, and home much of the existing structure is no longer viable

It's the home ground's last remaining piece of tangible history, named after the club's most legendary player (seen here sitting in the stand, reflecting on his footballing days), and there are Richmond supporters in this thread who are gleeful about its destruction

Interesting

Also for those trotting out the economic rationalist argument, the same argument resulted in the destruction of this, and Melbourne is now much poorer for it. Over coming decades as Melbourne loses more of its heritage and becomes just another generic "world city", your descendants will thank you for keeping the stand

Destroy it and Richmond, by all appearances, will have about as much soul as GWS. Another corporate franchise from the factory mold. Nothing to announce its rich history, like a European city that had to rebuild itself after the WW2 air raids. Except in this case it's worse because Richmond wants to bomb itself

Destroy it and Richmond, by all appearances, will have about as much soul as GWS. Another corporate franchise from the factory mold. Nothing to announce its rich history, like a European city that had to rebuild itself after the WW2 air raids. Except in this case it's worse because Richmond wants to bomb itself
That's ridiculous, you make it sound like the stand is our history. It's not. It's just a stand that was retrospectively named after Jack Dyer. There is nothing stopping whatever goes in its place from being called the Jack Dyer Stand, like the Ponsford Stand at the MCG.
The stand is unusable in its current state - it is not fit to hold spectators. So it just sits there as a monument. But what good is a monument if the club is unable to keep up with the facilities other clubs are putting in? In order to not fall behind the pace, we will be forced to move from our home to who knows where. Then that new venue will have absolutely zero history. Location, facilities, nothing.
I hope the new development gives a nod to the old stand, and I'm sure it will do so. But it is time to move on.

That's ridiculous, you make it sound like the stand is our history. It's not. It's just a stand that was retrospectively named after Jack Dyer. There is nothing stopping whatever goes in its place from being called the Jack Dyer Stand, like the Ponsford Stand at the MCG.
The stand is unusable in its current state - it is not fit to hold spectators. So it just sits there as a monument. But what good is a monument if the club is unable to keep up with the facilities other clubs are putting in? In order to not fall behind the pace, we will be forced to move from our home to who knows where. Then that new venue will have absolutely zero history. Location, facilities, nothing.
I hope the new development gives a nod to the old stand, and I'm sure it will do so. But it is time to move on.
The grand stand is Richmond history. The club played a role in its construction, which was thought significant enough for Australia's PM at the time to officially open it. People as old as Melbourne, like football pioneer Colden Harrison, lived long enough to sit in it, and no Australian alive today was around when it was built. It's not "just a stand". Also many structures in much more derelict condition have been restored, there's no reason the stand can't be. "Fall behind the pace" you've won three flags in five years

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back