News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I have sat in that stand on over 100 occasions , Used to to training after school and would walk up and sit there in the 70's

It was creaking even back then and was never a safe building. The rails on the stairs and on the front level would shake when leaned upon

Not to mention the roof leaking in 100 spots

TheTick

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham, Packers
Have any of you that want to keep the stand addressed the funding issue yet? Who will pay to keep it and restore it?

The national trust wants everything retained, however, never wants to contribute to the cost of maintaining it. Where have the national trust been for the last 55 years whilst the stand fell into total disrepair?

my fav was when they tried to stop an architecturally significant CAR PARK from being demo'ed. I used to park in there, and the thing was a danger to any car larger than a hatchback (winding ramps that were tighter than Brett Deledio)

I have sat in that stand on over 100 occasions , Used to to training after school and would walk up and sit there in the 70's

It was creaking even back then and was never a safe building. The rails on the stairs and on the front level would shake when leaned upon

Not to mention the roof leaking in 100 spots

It got repaired in the 90s, there was a major funding initiative. In the mid 90s you were allowed back in to watch ressies games from the stand. In fact I think it's where the whole jdf was initiated. I remember putting money towards it.

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
"Don't it always seem to go,
that you don't know what you've got
til it's gone..."

Joni Mitchell - 1970

Yeah, like, just imagine in 20 years time, ruing the missed opportunities at developing the Club’s facilities and by that fact, compromising the success that could have otherwise been achieved.

Yeah, like, just imagine in 20 years time, ruing the missed opportunities at developing the Club’s facilities and by that fact, compromising the success that could have otherwise been achieved.

Amazing how we won 3 years in 4 years with that stand isnt it. Really held us back.

Amazing how we won 3 years in 4 years with that stand isnt it. Really held us back.
Like all infrastructure just because it okay now doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be investing in it so it’s not an issue in the future

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Well better informed people than you and me, and the National Trust disagree.

The National Trust exist to worry about stuff that no-one else does... they aren't better informed at all. They are just a bunch of people justifying their own existence. They are the HR department of buildings but in reverse. They don't sack anyone.... but do get in the way of progress. Maybe we should save every building that was ever opened by a PM. Crikey. Has precious little to do with Jack Dyer either, given his name was given to it after it was built. His son when asked about was more worried about the statue than the stand, although was happy that the new stand would also bear Dyer's name. If it's good enough for his son, then it should be good enough for the rest of us. 111m in assets for National Trust... they are doing alright. Focus on the housing facdes, not delapidated grand stands (that have been modified anyway - where was the hoo ha, back then?).

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The National Trust exist to worry about stuff that no-one else does... they aren't better informed at all. They are just a bunch of people justifying their own existence. They are the HR department of buildings but in reverse. They don't sack anyone.... but do get in the way of progress. Maybe we should save every building that was ever opened by a PM. Crikey. Has precious little to do with Jack Dyer either, given his name was given to it after it was built. His son when asked about was more worried about the statue than the stand, although was happy that the new stand would also bear Dyer's name. If it's good enough for his son, then it should be good enough for the rest of us. 111m in assets for National Trust... they are doing alright. Focus on the housing facdes, not delapidated grand stands (that have been modified anyway - where was the hoo ha, back then?).
What a load of rubbish you just wrote.
Wow, how dare anyone get in the way of progress.
Preserving history is preserving culture.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
What a load of rubbish you just wrote.
Wow, how dare anyone get in the way of progress.
Preserving history is preserving culture.

Standing in the way of progress is allowing oneself to be left behind. In this case though, it is being done to preserve the next 100 years of the Richmond Football Club being at Punt Rd (well 100 could be a stretch but the foreseeable future).

Preserving History is preserving culture.... Slavery was in vogue less than 100 years ago, as were far inferior rates of gender equality, racism, working conditions, attitudes to smoking and the like. History can be preserved in books, film and photographs. Some of the 'culture' of 100 years should be banished forever, never to return. Only the lessons of that history should remain. None of which is likely to be impacted by the removal of a stand. A stand that has been modified previously, opened 107 years ago and named after a Tiger great a mere 25 years ago. More importantly right now, one that is potentially endangering something of far greater cultural significance to Richmond - the location and home base of the beloved local football club (now a huge club in a national competition).

At any rate the National Trust isn't opposing the development, they are asking for the impact to be properly considered. Which is fair enough, can't have wrecking balls going in willy-nilly without thought. The Heritage guys will have a look at it and if they really kick up a stink, it'll go to VCAT which is corrupt/inept enough to be swayed anyway. Provided the new design pays homage to it's predecessor in some way (more than the name), it'll go ahead (also provided the $$$ are there). The National Trust would be best served trying to influence the design in some way....

TheTick

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham, Packers
Funding, Aristotle. You still haven't broached the subject of where the money will come from to keep the thing and make it useful.
I assume you'll be putting in a sizeable contribution to "preserve culture"

TheTick

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham, Packers
Led Zep? Seriously?
That stand is like current day John Bonham. That's as close as it gets to Led Zeppelin.
Might have been great at the time, but it's useless now.

p.s. I f*cking love John Bonham

Back