News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Mr Ambrose is obviously not a Richmond supporter. 'Progress' saw the much more tragic end to the MCG members and more importantly the Long Room. The loss of the long room was a travesty which surely through a (likely expensive) work around could have been saved.

Variations of the Punt Rd stand can be seen in many suburban and country footy grounds, it's just not that special, it's just old. I doubt many here have even sat in the Punt Rd stand (named after Jack only in 1996). As long as they name the new stand after Jack Dyer I am fine with doing what the club and community needs.

The alternative might be back to Craigieburn and the total loss of our spiritual home on Punt Rd (and ready access to the many Swan Street bars as we continue to rack up premierships). Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon no longer have their spiritual homes.

and I don't like irrelevant worthless windbag bureaucrats sticking their noses into our business and telling us what to do, swivel on it National Trust, go save an old toilet block somewhere.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks awful to me and it shouldn't be replacing the old grandstand that is part of Melbourne's history.
I also thought it was curious that Peggy won the Melbournian of the year when she is one of the people behind this.
Goes to show that corporates rule and do what they want and awards go to corporates.
Melbournian of the year should have been a nurse.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
Looks awful to me and it shouldn't be replacing the old grandstand that is part of Melbourne's history.
I also thought it was curious that Peggy won the Melbournian of the year when she is one of the people behind this.
Goes to show that corporates rule and do what they want and awards go to corporates.
Tell me, what is your alternative to give us the facilities for the next 100 years and an MCG sized training ground that will definitely contribute to onfield success

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Tell me, what is your alternative to give us the facilities for the next 100 years and an MCG sized training ground that will definitely contribute to onfield success
Is the new grandstand the same size as the old one?
Do you agree with the National Trust that the old grandstand has cultural and historical significance to Victoria?

Last edited:

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Do you agree with the National Trust that the old grandstand has cultural and historical significance to Victoria?
I think that the stand at the MCG had much more significance than the one at Punt rd, don't get me wrong I would love to keep it but the RFC at Punt rd oval way into the future has more cultural significance.

No one can sit in the old one

You still haven't given an alternative

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I think that the stand at the MCG had much more significance than the one at Punt rd, don't get me wrong I would love to keep it but the RFC at Punt rd oval way into the future has more cultural significance.

No one can sit in the old one

You still haven't given an alternative
Having MCG size dimensions is not essential imo. We did win 3 flags without that.
I think it's better to train away from all that traffic in pre-season anyway.
Use a MCG size ground for pre-season training in Craigiburn and increase our supporter base in that area.
Even with a new grandstand, punt road will still be too small in ten years imo.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Having MCG size dimensions is not essential imo. We did win 3 flags without that.
Use a MCG size ground for pre-season training in Craigiburn and increase our supporter base in that area.
Sounds saints-esk to me and that turned our super, you can stick the Craigieburn alternative, I had to drive there last week and its a 48 minute drive from the CBD on a good day and over an hour from where I am in Blackburn.

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I like it. Gives us the extra space we need and a grandstand we can actually use. By the time we start to outgrow this I would expect the government has caved to developers and allowed development over the railway lines which would surely include making Brunton Ave a tunnel and allow walking directly to Richmond station to the G, we just need to make sure our interests are captured when those decisions take place and we'll have more space again behind the Brunton Ave end goals.

Oldest Tiger

Debutant
Jul 16, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
:thumbsdown:

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I like it. Gives us the extra space we need and a grandstand we can actually use. By the time we start to outgrow this I would expect the government has caved to developers and allowed development over the railway lines which would surely include making Brunton Ave a tunnel and allow walking directly to Richmond station to the G, we just need to make sure our interests are captured when those decisions take place and we'll have more space again behind the Brunton Ave end goals.
The Richmond station precinct redevelopment would def be on the cards

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The WAFL and the VFL had too get special permission to play at punt rd because of the size of the ground .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the bit that no one likes to admit:

We will NEVER own Punt Road Oval, nor any of the buildings (developed or not). The land is leased from the Melbourne City Council and there's some bullshit clause that the lease only extends 6 inches or something like that from the footprint of the existing buildings. The City of Melbourne owns the land.

We exist at PRO at the whim of the Melbourne City Council.

Anyone saying we will have to relocate if we don't redevelop the grandstand is missing the point.

What we should be doing now, while we are powerful, is lobbying the City of Melbourne for (a) freehold (very unlikely) or (b) continued lease with bigger footprint. Those are the conditions that future proof us, not this development.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

We will NEVER own Punt Road Oval, nor any of the buildings (developed or not). The land is leased from the Melbourne City Council and there's some bullshit clause that the lease only extends 6 inches or something like that from the footprint of the existing buildings. The City of Melbourne owns the land.

Anyone saying we will have to relocate if we don't redevelop the grandstand is missing the point.

What we should be doing now, while we are powerful, is lobbying the City of Melbourne for (a) freehold (very unlikely) or (b) continued lease with bigger footprint. Those are the conditions that future proof us, not this development.
I think the Melbourne & Olympic Parks Trust owns Collingwood's as well and I think you might find its a common theme across the board and that's why the Vic and Fed govts tip in big time

DeLaCon

All Australian
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Unfortunately its true that we will only ever have a lease over Punt Road Oval. Its why I am a fan of our club buying a couple of terrace houses directly opposite and creating and administrative wing in those buildings. That would give RFC freehold rights to those properties, create more office space and allow us to expand further.

Last edited:

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Unfortunately its true that we will only ever have a lease over Punt Road Oval. Its why I am a fan of our club buying a couple of terrace houses directly opposite and creating and administrative wing in those buildings. That would give RFC freehold rights to those properties, create more office space and allow us to expand further.
Should buy the Royal, put offices up stairs and do food and bev downstairs

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
We won 10 flags with possum s**t all over the gym too, we wouldn’t have won the next three with that though. The game moves on, you either go with it or get left behind for 37 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back