News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately its true that we will only ever have a lease over Punt Road Oval. Its why I am a fan of our club buying a couple of terrace houses directly opposite and creating and administrative wing in those buildings. That would give RFC freehold rights to those properties, create more office space and allow us to expand further.
Thought that we occupied office space in Richmond somewhere ,leased or owned I’m not sure

The club was formed at the Royal Hotel so investing in that mightn’t be a bad idea.

Definitely be plenty of entertainment for the players after training nights……..

I wonder why we aren't going even bigger and wrapping right around the back of the goals?

I wonder why we aren't going even bigger and wrapping right around the back of the goals?

This is what I have been advocating for years. It is in the too hard basket because no-one at the club has the balls nor the vision to get our lease extended to completely encircle the oval. That would be a genuine future for the club, not another ad hoc building that only fills a gap for 10 years and then we outgrow it as well.

The reason of course is our current lease doesn't cover past the existing footprint of any of the existing buildings.

In a let's pretend world where the grandstand was heritage listed and could not be pulled down, that's what we would be doing, lobbying the City of Melbourne to lease us more land, say behind the northern goals. It's not like that land is used by any other entity than the RFC anyhow.

I suspect we’d be more inclined to demolish the existing structure and rebuild
I’m not against that but I figure if you’re going to rebuild may as well rebuild all the way around the goals rather than stopping where they are.

If the above is correct about the terms of the lease then I guess that is the reason.

This is what I have been advocating for years. It is in the too hard basket because no-one at the club has the balls nor the vision to get our lease extended to completely encircle the oval. That would be a genuine future for the club, not another ad hoc building that only fills a gap for 10 years and then we outgrow it as well.

The reason of course is our current lease doesn't cover past the existing footprint of any of the existing buildings.

In a let's pretend world where the grandstand was heritage listed and could not be pulled down, that's what we would be doing, lobbying the City of Melbourne to lease us more land, say behind the northern goals. It's not like that land is used by any other entity than the RFC anyhow.

Yarra Park is managed by the Melbourne Cricket Club on behalf of the people of Victoria. Oversight is provided by the Yarra Park Advisory Committee.

If it was as easy as you say, you'd then be surprised that the Melbourne FC training venue proposed for the north east part of the park didn't go ahead?

Haere Ra

Having a look through that info from the permit application, I'm even more in favour of the redevelopment going ahead, not just because of the new facilities, but also because they plan to make the area around the club much more accessible and give it a better look than what is currently a rundown horrible looking car park area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarra Park is managed by the Melbourne Cricket Club on behalf of the people of Victoria. Oversight is provided by the Yarra Park Advisory Committee.

If it was as easy as you say, you'd then be surprised that the Melbourne FC training venue proposed for the north east part of the park didn't go ahead?

Haere Ra
No doubt the application would be knocked back which is a bit ridiculous as I’d wager the spaces we have for our community programs are far more valuable to the city of Melbourne then that patch of land between the driveway park entrance and our goals.

They’ve let us put portables there, how much longer before we can claim squatter rights? 😀

Imagine the levels of obliviousness - or perhaps delusion - to claim that Brendan Gale (and/or Peggy O'Neill) lack vision or conviction. They literally have transformed us from a basket case to a juggernaut.

Entitled post is putting it nicely.

What's the saying?.... "You don't know what you got until it's gone"?

Last edited:
I think the development done 10 years ago is past its use by date they should have knocked that down as well and continued the new development over that area but make it a bit bigger and higher to accomodate more office space and player facilities and maybe add another 1000 to 1500 seats to the grandstand.

I think the development done 10 years ago is past its use by date they should have knocked that down as well and continued the new development over that area but make it a bit bigger and higher to accomodate more office space and player facilities and maybe add another 1000 to 1500 seats to the grandstand.

That building is being done up as well, it’s included with this $65 million new development.

Haere Ra

I'm not saying it's easy, i'm saying it's what the club should be doing. Easy is for St Kilda.

Imagine the levels of obliviousness - or perhaps delusion - to claim that Brendan Gale (and/or Peggy O'Neill) lack vision or conviction. They literally have transformed us from a basket case to a juggernaut.

Entitled post is putting it nicely.

What's the saying?.... "You don't know what you got until it's gone"?

Let's play the let's pretend game.

If the stand was heritage listed and could not be demolished, what would we be doing?

1) Moving somewhere else
2) Negotiating for more land

Which do you prefer?

Let's play the let's pretend game.

If the stand was heritage listed and could not be demolished, what would we be doing?

1) Moving somewhere else
2) Negotiating for more land

Which do you prefer?
It would be option 1
If it was that simple just to get more land it would of been done a long time ago

Why do you think Melbourne’s proposed facility’s got shut down?

It would be option 1
If it was that simple just to get more land it would of been done a long time ago

Why do you think Melbourne’s proposed facility’s got shut down?

Melbourne's facility would have been way bigger than what we require starters, and in a completely different location.

I am suggesting that the area behind the northern goals, if not the entire circumference of the ground. It's not like this area is being taken from any other existing use.

And that's what we should be doing to future-proof the club.

Melbourne's facility would have been way bigger than what we require starters, and in a completely different location.

I am suggesting that the area behind the northern goals, if not the entire circumference of the ground. It's not like this area is being taken from any other existing use.

And that's what we should be doing to future-proof the club.
You think the club never enquired about it?

You think the club never enquired about it?

They've never publicised it, not that I can remember anyhow.

Things get changed all the time in that precinct, for example the building of the soccer stadium and Flinders (Melbourne) Park for the tennis. And no one is advocating that kind of huge change and huge infrastructure. I mean what is the area behind the goals currently being used for besides RFC use? Would it even matter to anyone at all if the club was allowed to build between the access road and the boundary fence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back