National U/18 Champs: Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Weaver
Funny game football, I'd say the absolute opposite. I thought Wood killed Meesan, certainly for the first 3-quarters. Wood was best on ground in the first half in my opinion.

And both players were listed in the best by their clubs.

I reckon they both showed they have definite AFL potential.

Meeson was changing with Roughead at CHF. I think the only time Wood clearly one a ruck contest was when he was up against Roughead.

Head to head against Meeson it was pretty well a nil all draw or tap to Meeson. I guess the tale of the tape will tell on Friday.

Deledio almost but not quite stamped himself as the no 1 with his performance. did some terrific things, showed a fair amount of class two. Impressed with Roughead, my first thought when i look at key position players is...can they make a contest, can they take a big mark, do they have some presence, can they influence the course of the game...they dont have to show they can do it, but they have to make us believe they can do it...and Roughead does have that. Tambling has also brought himself into major consideration again...he was a supposed top 3 pick 6 months ago...seemed to fall out of favour...division 2 is poor and maybe thats helping him but his speed and skill will see him go top 10 i reckon- he could be looked at as a player who could develop into a game breaker...all clubs look for those!

At the moment, this draft is shaping up as all the previous ones....the players at the top will turn out ok...but it could be pretty shallow after 20-25 picks- but thats just my opinion.

this is my 1st post here, but i thought id add some of my observations about yesterday's matches:

METRO vs WA

overall a pretty scrappy game - not many kicks hitting their targets, lots of stoppages etc.

# I reckon that Cox and O`Brien were 2 guys from WA who pretty much won the game for them - both did very, very little before the last qtr but both had heaps of the footy in the dying stages and initiated a couple of telling turnovers.

# Morton didn't have much of it but i do recall him going for an eyecatching dash along the wing - held the ball confidently in one hand, dodged a couple of Metro blokes with a couple of bounces - looked bloody impressive

# Franklin did barely anything of note before the winning goal - a couple of times in the last qtr he actually turned the ball over in crucial moments - caught holding the ball, fumbled once or twice. But id put it down as a bad game by a pretty talented kid (i doubt the icy conditions did him any favours)

# Of the Metro guys i`d have to say that i was most impressed with Ryan Bain - he looked super classy, good disposal, many 2nd/3rd efforts. He was also by far the most devestated by the loss - he lay face down on the muddy turf for a good couple of minutes after the siren! Thinking that that is probabaly a good sign in a young player.A real team player who give his all.

# Jolley reminded me a fair bit of Nick Dal Santo in the way he played (even looks kinda similar).

# Nayna was fantastic in the hectic last qtr - put his body on the line quite a few times and bombed the ball forward a bit. He didn`t really do much before that stage however.

# Murphy didnt stand out to me as much as he seems to have for others - when he had the ball though he looked very much in command for someone who would have been close to the youngest player on the ground.

#Jesse.D.Smith got a lot of the footy - a lot more solidly built than pretty much all the other playing in the midfield.

COUNTRY vs SA

I reckon this game was of quite a higher standard than WA vs Metro - I`d have to say that of the four teams today Country were easily the most impressive for mine.

# Marsh and Kirkby (both Echuca boys) both had ripper first quarters - Marsh is an absolute terrier, bloody fast - think one half Aaron Davey, one half Libba (!!!). He didnt do too much after this but set up one of the last 2 (matchwinning) goals in final qtr with a super long, precise bomb into the goal square from the boundary, around 55 out from goal.

# Kirkby went missing in the 3rd qtr, but apart from that he was SUPER impressive - would have taken 10 or so marks (most of them under considerable pressure). He seems quite small for a CHF, but he leads very well and works hard to get to a contest - a good reader of the play - often judged the flight of the ball much better than his larger opponents.

# Deledio was super-silky. He is also very good in stoppages - quite strong. His kicking was superior (apart from that one hiccup in front of goal!). I wouldn`t lock him in for number one just yet though!!

# Roughhead is a bit of an exitement machine in the air - didn`t take many, but like Kirkby hit the contests hard which helped the Country crumbers.

# Shannon Emmett - got heaps of the footy and looked a likely type. He looked to be playing around half-back and rebounded the ball often back towards Kirkby and Roughhead's leads. Solidly built kid.

# From what I saw Sam Dwyer seemed to have the footy more than anyone else, looks pretty small though. A real ball-magnet with great poise though.

# I cant say that I was very impressed with many of the SA Players - their stars (Griffen, Grundy) were quiet. SA looks to be a fairly even team based on yesterdays observations.

# I thought that Chad Gibson was easily the most impressive for SA - he is an absolute monster of a kid (194cm, 94kg), looked strong and confident - SA`s best in backline.

# Wood had a pretty good battle with Meesen in the ruck. Reminds me of Ericksen last year, an absolute beanpole but a very good tap ruckman. Probably lost overall to Meesen, but a certain draftee as good tap-ruckmen like him are hard to come by.

Just watched NSW-QLD on Fox Footy, and was impressed by Earl Shaw's performance in the ruck. Apart from that it was a bit bare, don't really rate Ed Clarke (?) looks too stocky and small.

Although he is too young, did anyone else notice Dylan Addison for the Rams? Liked the look of him.

Yeah, I think Addison looks a nice athletic type and he'd be a good chance to be drafte next year if he develops. He's a little raw. Lee Spurr from Queensland is in the same boat, but a bit more ready.

My thoughts - NSW

Troy Bartlett looked OK - a very steady defender who might be a bit slow for a flank and not tall enough for a key position, but he reads the play well and uses the ball well.

Adam Prior from the Bushrangers is a decent finisher and a nice but probably a class below draftable status.

Dylan Addison looks a good type for next year, I'd compare him athletically to Chris Heffernan, but he needs to develop.

Andrew Hodgson is a well-built midfielder who wins plent of the ball, also probably just not quite good enough.

Michael Stapleton is not ineligible and is very raw, but is a nice size and might be a good key defensive prospect next year.

Ed Clarke is your big bustling midfielder who impacts these games but doesn't have the finesse of ball useage than, say, a Luke Shackleton and he'll probably go the way of David Kellett and miss out.

Earl Shaw has a lot of upside, moves well and can take a grab. I'd look him if I were a club looking for a development ruckman in the lower rounds or rookie list.

Jayden Kotzer and Kurt McGlynn have mature bodies but probably not quite the talent to make it.

Queensland

Marcus Allan, son of 'Gubby' Allan is a long blonde-locked two-footed in and under midfielder who's got a good footy brain and wins plenty of the ball.

Lee Spurr is a skilful flanker who's good overhead. Ineligible this year, he's a near certainty to make it next year.

Will Hamill is a very athletic tall running player with good decision making and leadership, he'll definitely be rookied - at worst.

Cheynee Stiller similarly, is a good athlete with enough potential to be a possible rookie candidate.

Luke McGuane is a very athletic KPP who can take a nice mark and looks a worthwhile prospect.

Michael West and Pat Garner are also developping KPPs who'll be looked at next year, Garner maybe this year with the Lions' zone selection.

i would expect some of the above to be rookied by Brisbane - particularly Allan and Hamill if they're not drafted.

Just watched the NT v TAS game and i was wondering waht you guys think of the following and there chance s of getting drafted:

Mark McLean
Isaac McLean
Aaron Motlop
Marty Corrie
Cameron Ilett
Relton Roberts

have played footy with marcus allan and cheynee stiller at the recent championships up here in qld for the northern raiders.

allan - has a great football brain, not overly quick but shows great leadership...excellent skills

cheynee - can run and run all day fittest bloke in that qld side, can play alot better than what he did against nsw/act

for mine allan should get drafted...can he be drafted under father/son?

Originally posted by Presti_is_god
Just watched the NT v TAS game and i was wondering waht you guys think of the following and there chance s of getting drafted:

Mark McLean
Isaac McLean
Aaron Motlop
Marty Corrie
Cameron Ilett
Relton Roberts

Both the McLeans and Ilett I'd expect to end up on an AFL list some way or another.

IMO, Stephenson would also be worth a punt.

Originally posted by angry steve

# Kirkby went missing in the 3rd qtr, but apart from that he was SUPER impressive - would have taken 10 or so marks (most of them under considerable pressure). He seems quite small for a CHF, but he leads very well and works hard to get to a contest - a good reader of the play - often judged the flight of the ball much better than his larger opponents.

I noticed in the first game he played down back in the first half, Must be versitle, Has a great leg on him to, really penetrating target hitting kick.

This kid looks the goods, any of the experts have a guage on what round he could go in the draft?

Mark McLean
Cameron Ilett

Mark McLean and Cameron Illett are two of the over-age players that the NT are allowed. For example Mark McLean is 2.5 years older than Tamblings' tagger, Jason Howard.

M.McLean and Illett have been overlooked twice allready, that said I have had Illett on my to-draft list both years so maybe 3rd time lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Peter Schwab talking last night and he said he was interested in Ryan Willits from Northern/ Vic Metro.

If Hawthorn had picks 1 and 3 do you think they would go for Willits with such an early pick?

i saw him destroy Nth.Ballarat in the TAC Cup with 8 goals 7 behinds and 2 on the full.

Such a big athletic frame where does everyone think he will go in the draft?

I'd be surprised if we took Willits at 3, because he still has a couple of queries (ie set shot kicking, lateral mobility, scope for improvement as he is already a big kid).

However, he'd be pretty handy on a Hawthorn list wouldn't he? He is a fantastic mark, could play either end, could possibly play AFL in 2005, and best of all seems to have a great attitude. He plays a physical style of play and seems to have good confidence in his ability. That game where he kicked 8.7 was amazing.

I'd still think Franklin, Griffen and Tambling are ahead of him, but perhaps Hawthorn will somehow get another 1st round pick?

Draft depth

As a passionate Hawthorn supporter in this bleak time can anyone give an indication as to the depth of this draft? Is Deledio a certainty for the first pick? How good is Franklin?

Re: Draft depth

Originally posted by bring on draft
As a passionate Hawthorn supporter in this bleak time can anyone give an indication as to the depth of this draft? Is Deledio a certainty for the first pick? How good is Franklin?
There are at least three or four threads that cover the questions you have asked. If you do take the time to read the threads you will get information on many others worthy to grace the grass down at Hawthorn.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
I'd be surprised if we took Willits at 3, because he still has a couple of queries (ie set shot kicking, lateral mobility, scope for improvement as he is already a big kid).

However, he'd be pretty handy on a Hawthorn list wouldn't he? He is a fantastic mark, could play either end, could possibly play AFL in 2005, and best of all seems to have a great attitude. He plays a physical style of play and seems to have good confidence in his ability. That game where he kicked 8.7 was amazing.

I'd still think Franklin, Griffen and Tambling are ahead of him, but perhaps Hawthorn will somehow get another 1st round pick?
I certainly hope that if we were to take say Franklin that the recruiting staff did their homework on the guy's longterm plans .Getting these early picks i think you need to get players who are career or close to career players for the club ,& i think we have been burnt rather badly in recent times by going for Western Australians with our early picks who want to return home when their initial contract is up .e.g McPharlin,Chick ,Collicer & i believe when Jon Hay was flying we were lucky to keep him .Personally , i hope we stick with Victorians .

Originally posted by Buster the hawk
I certainly hope that if we were to take say Franklin that the recruiting staff did their homework on the guy's longterm plans .Getting these early picks i think you need to get players who are career or close to career players for the club ,& i think we have been burnt rather badly in recent times by going for Western Australians with our early picks who want to return home when their initial contract is up .e.g McPharlin,Chick ,Collicer & i believe when Jon Hay was flying we were lucky to keep him .Personally , i hope we stick with Victorians .

Yeah, I know what you are saying, and it's a tough one for Bucky and co (ironic given Bucky wanted to go home himself during his Hawthorn career and even took the club to court over it). The problem is the top 3 after Deledio at this stage are all non-Victorians.

Obviously it depends on a case by case basis. Plenty of players happily move interstate and never consider a move back. Some reports have questioned whether Franklin will stay in Victoria long-term, others have said he has family in Melbourne and is quite a level headed kid.

But I think at the end of the day you would be pretty brave to overlook the best player available. A few West Coast supporters were filthy that they took a Victorian in the 2001 draft over a WA player in Polak. Given the player in question was Chris Judd I doubt they are complaining now.

Bugger re SA losing, sounds like they were off the boil, expect them to come back (they bloody better) against VIC M. Problem is now they lost to VIC C and WA beat them so is WA cant beat VIC C we cant get in. Not impressed.

Re ruck battles, havent seen them but anyone who can get more hitouts than Wood would have to be a machine. Not many beat him in taps, its the around the ground work that most do.

Eckermann is going to be a very good player, considering he is still too young for the draft this year and may still be looking at All Australia selection after this tournament shows how good he is. Could well be a top 5 pick next year.

Hopefully we can bounce back against Vic Metro.

Some players u can just look at their face and say straight away
say "that kid is a def afl player in the making" ie delidio sure has that look, take one look at hima and say 'gun'.

Originally posted by Buster the hawk
..i think we have been burnt rather badly in recent times by going for Western Australians with our early picks who want to return home when their initial contract is up .e.g McPharlin,Chick ,Collicer & i believe when Jon Hay was flying we were lucky to keep him .Personally , i hope we stick with Victorians .

Stick with Victorians then.

Collica was no great loss to you.
Chick gave you 6 years.
Hay has lost his chance to go west and will stay a Hawk.

You only lost out on McPharlin

Mark McLean
Isaac McLean
Aaron Motlop
Marty Corrie
Cameron Ilett
Relton Roberts

For a start 4 of those guys are over age i think so that leaves , Isaac McLean, Aaron Motlop and relton roberts.
aaron Motlop has been named in the best in both games.
I think he's one of the players that could slip past scouts just like an Aaron Davey but if their smart they will keep an eye on him even if they dont draft him.

Originally posted by Jabber
Stick with Victorians then.

Collica was no great loss to you.
Chick gave you 6 years.
Hay has lost his chance to go west and will stay a Hawk.

You only lost out on McPharlin

Yeah, but throw in the South Aussies like Jarman, Hall etc and the way Holland and Hay's contracts have demanded a premium over the years and you can see where he is coming from.

FWIW, i don't care where they're from, as long as whoever we pick up is judged the best available at the time.

Originally posted by southjoy
How did Cooper and Collard play in the game against Metro?

I saw the last half of the game.
They didn't get a lot of the ball. Conditions probably didn't suit them.

One player that wasn't named as one of the best, who showed a bit was Lecras. He looked fairly light, but got a bit of the ball and you couldn't fault his endevour.

Toovey looked good down back as did another kid called Van Berlo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back