National U/19 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

CAXI has some decent talent, Austin Waugh with a 50 in the first round, and NSW rookie Sangha is playing for them too. They also has a young spin bowler from Tasmania by the name of Jarrod Freeman who's only just turned 16. Has been in and around national squads and is very highly rated, definitely one to keep an eye on. He hasn't taken any wickets yet but has had pretty reasonable figures in the first two rounds.

A bit strange that there are no 2 day matches.
They used to play two day matches, one dayers and a couple of Twenty20's. Not sure why it changed. Presumably because the tournament leads to selection for the U/19 World Cup which is obviously one dayers. Seems arse about face reasoning though.

They used to play two day matches, one dayers and a couple of Twenty20's. Not sure why it changed. Presumably because the tournament leads to selection for the U/19 World Cup which is obviously one dayers. Seems arse about face reasoning though.

We bemoan the lack of development in our players for long form cricket yet CA structure the under 19 championships in this manner...I find it quite ridiculous

It's extremely hard to gauge much from the highlights video they post but the tall left armer from ACT & NSW Country - Tom Scoble - has a very nice action and the video of his wicket looks to be coming down with some nice pace. Only the 2 wickets thus far and not sure why he didn't play the second game. Looking at his my cricket page and he has an 8-fa (across 2 innings) in Tamworth first grade and that region is typically pretty strong. He'll definitely get snapped up quickly by a Sydney grade club if he wants to have a crack at a NSW contract.

It's extremely hard to gauge much from the highlights video they post but the tall left armer from ACT & NSW Country - Tom Scoble - has a very nice action and the video of his wicket looks to be coming down with some nice pace. Only the 2 wickets thus far and not sure why he didn't play the second game. Looking at his my cricket page and he has an 8-fa (across 2 innings) in Tamworth first grade and that region is typically pretty strong. He'll definitely get snapped up quickly by a Sydney grade club if he wants to have a crack at a NSW contract.
There's a cap on the number of over the quicks bowl during the carnival (surprise, surprise). I think they play 8 x 50 over one dayers and the cap for the quicks is 60 overs. So teams can either use their quicks for 7-8 overs each game or give them a game or two off entirely.

Vic Metro kid Will Pucovski made 139* vs Queensland in Round 2 and 160* vs South Australia in Round 3. I don't think the SA attack is particularly strong but you'd think the Qld one would be. Anyone know anything about him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Metro kid Will Pucovski made 139* vs Queensland in Round 2 and 160* vs South Australia in Round 3. I don't think the SA attack is particularly strong but you'd think the Qld one would be. Anyone know anything about him?

Saw him play a bit for the Aussie under 19's a few years ago. Struggled to make a score though, usually batting at 3 or 4. Might've matured a bit since, by the looks.

Hopefully theres not too much pressure on him though. Just enjoy what hes doing and see where he goes from there.
Yes you do worry about the pressure they put on some guys. Looking at his Cricinfo page he played Futures League in 14/15 after only a couple of first grade game in Melbourne. Jason Sangha did the same for NSW. I refuse to believe anybody is ready for Second XI cricket on the back of 2 first grade games. Not only does it put pressure on these guys, me and many other feel like it brings down the standard of what is the third highest level of cricket in the country behind test cricket and shield cricket.

Are these guys good enough to play this standard? Yes they are but with a season of first grade cricket under their belts at which point they are usually about 18, maybe 19. If they are real early bloomers they'll make this level at 17 but that is the really rare talents and I find it hard to believe someone has shown they are in the best 22 cricketers in their state at such a young age and after only a couple of first grade games.

I hope they show some extended highlights from the Vic and CA XI game today. Clearly Pucovski and Sangha are two of the most talented batsmen in the country and both got in the runs in that match today with a ton and 93 resepctively.

Last edited:
Yes you do worry about the pressure they put on some guys. Looking at his Cricinfo page he played Futures League in 14/15 after only a couple of first grade game in Melbourne. Jason Sangha did the same for NSW. I refuse to believe anybody is ready for Second XI cricket on the back of 2 first grade games. Not only does it put pressure on these guys me and many other feel like it brings down the standard of what is the third highest level of cricket in the country behind test cricket and shield cricket. Are these guys good enough to play this standard? Yes they are but with a season of first grade cricket under their belts at which point they are usually about 18, maybe 19. I find it hard to believe someone has shown they are in the best 22 cricketers in their state at the age 16 or 17 and after only a couple of first grade games.

I hope they show some extended highlights from the Vic and CA XI game today. Clearly Pucovski and Sangha are two of the most talented batsmen in the country and both got in the runs in that match today with a ton and 93 resepctively.
It's a good point

Now players only need to show a whiff of talent and they get whisked off to the Centre of Excellence at every opportunity. Play Future's and CA U/19's. Spend very little time in the club system, which suffers from their absence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back