Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Wing

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Apologies if there was already a thread about this last year. Just wanted to get a sense of how many are in the forward and defender camps after this season. I've changed camps and I get the sense there are a few more in the same boat.

My reasoning is as follows:

Our forward line and back line both suck. If we move Naughton to defence it suddenly seems like we have a pretty decent back line. The forward line will be dysfunctional no matter who we put up there until we change our system. I'd rather give Naughton the best chance to dominate games which I feel will be as a defender.

Last edited:
I think I'd like to keep him forward, but structurally, we might be better off sending him back. Our forward line is a graveyard for talls historically and its probably his immense talent that has let him have some really promising moments there moreso than anything our system is doing.

Its a conundrum.

He has all the tools to be a champion forward, if we are patient and build around him, play to his strengths. But I don't think we are inclined to do either.

If we had St. Kilda Josh Bruce, I’d be confident running a forward line including Bruce, English & JUH. Recruit a ruckman and we’d be solid across the board.

If we have Bulldog Bruce, no chance would I want Naughton leaving the forward line.

We have some weakness in the backline since the departure of Morris. I don't see Gardner being a short term solution to the tall defender issues. Keath has been a great addition but we seem short on at least one quality defender.

With Schache still contracted, I feel he needs to be given a string of games to see if he can establish some consistency in effort, as well as build some confidence. He could work well with Bruce, playing second string target at a level below Naughton, but may get better. We also have JUH coming.

Naughton, like Chris Grant can play both ends equally as well. He should be utilised where needed. No one ever said Grant should play forward at all costs.

Need two of him, unless we can trade for someone over the offseason.

Think we just have to have a look at what a forward line of Naughton and Jamarra looks like. It could be anything.

I am really torn and I agree we need him at CHB, but I want to see what Jamarra and him can do together.

If we fixed our centre clearance issues and weren't forced to push numbers around the ball for other stoppages (subsequently leaving Naughton outnumbered 2 on 1 - and yes I witnessed this all game from the sidelines this weekend) then Naughton would have a better chance (Bruce would too).

How many KPF's in the past 20 years have kicked 30 or more goals in a season for the Dogs. I'd wager it would be about 3. Hall and Grant would be 2 of them. 19 year old Naughton the other. This kid led contested marks for the competition after 22 rounds. As a 19 first year forward.

If we care about JUH's development we aren't throwing him to the wolves. We need marking options to draw defenders away from him. Naughton is the best marking option we have.

And as a supporter base that has been starved of good KPF's cant we please just have 2 future stars playing together for the next decade. And simply trade in key defensive options as we see fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see what he can do with a full preseason training as a forward. Has talent to be the best key forward in the comp.

However, I feel like it’s the era of the defender. The other top 8 sides have at least one if not two gun key defenders. There impact on a game is huge and I think it elevates in finals (although you could say the same for key forwards)

We could keep Keath and Cordy / Gardner as our two key stoppers and just play Naughton as the third man interceptor and the way he reads the ball and the hands he’s got man.... any high ball with enough pressure further up the ground he would mark.

I think it really depends on who we recruit this year. If we can land a ruck then English can play forward with Bruce. If Schache ends up being traded and we look thin on tall forwards play him forward.

I think he should train as a forward this preseason but if needed should play back as a third-intercept defender. I think he’ll be able to fill that role with minimal practice.

Naughton back makes our defence go from poor to above average. Naughton forward means our forward line remains dogshit.

Bruce + Naughton and Gardner + Keath, vs
Bruce + Schache and Keath + Naughton

I know which I like the look of better. Our spine sucks balls, but looks substantially better with Naughton down back. Bring in a small forward to help the forward line, and move Naughton down back.

I've been converted, I'm sorry I ever doubted you Yojimbo

I have now flipped back to the Naughton forward camp. This is off a healthy run with injury with no preseason as a forward at just 19. Just imagine how good he could be as early as next year?

This video represents that he should be played at CHF. Between the arcs. This is his spot.

I'm not asking to stick him in the square. He's a genuine CHF.

Naughton back makes our defence go from poor to above average. Naughton forward means our forward line remains dogshit.

Bruce + Naughton and Gardner + Keath, vs
Bruce + Schache and Keath + Naughton

I know which I like the look of better. Our spine sucks balls, but looks substantially better with Naughton down back. Bring in a small forward to help the forward line, and move Naughton down back.

I've been converted, I'm sorry I ever doubted you Yojimbo

Why is it Gardiner + Keath and not Cordy + Keath? For the majority of the season it was Keath + Cordy as the defensive duo. Gardiner came in and shunted out defenders and pushed them up field. Like Crozier for example.

Back