• Forward

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • Defender

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Wing

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

BT is in love with him whenever he commentates out games. Also have seen that Naughts comments on BT’s instagram’s a fair bit. They must have some kind of relationship.

Would be nice if he could get some goal kicking coaching off him.

19 Contested marks in 4th quarters. The next best is 11.

He is simply the best mark I've ever seen in Bulldog colours. And he's only 21

19 Contested marks in 4th quarters. The next best is 11.

He is simply the best mark I've ever seen in Bulldog colours. And he's only 21

He was terrifying Barrass so much in the 4th that It was only a question of kicking on top of his head and he'd mark it.

To make Tom Barrass look a fool under an incoming high ball is no mean feat.

This is the guy you build dynasties around.

The best thing is that him and Bruce have figured it out up forward. You wouldn't want to change something that's working, but most calls to move him back were after witnessing the abomination of our forward line last year as well as a deficiency in key backs. Both Gardner and Keath have improved this year, which means our deficiency in key backs is not as bad as it was, while both Bruce and Naughton have improved in their forward line chemistry.
Well done to all involved.

He was terrifying Barrass so much in the 4th that It was only a question of kicking on top of his head and he'd mark it.

To make Tom Barrass look a fool under an incoming high ball is no mean feat.

This is the guy you build dynasties around.
We simply have so many tall forwards it just seems un-Bulldog.

With Aaron we have English as a very good forward/ruck and Bruce is handy, being second in the Coleman. Then there's the no 1 draft pick. Then Sam Darcy one draft later who just kicked 6 for Vic Metro. And Croft Jnr one draft later who is a dominant KPF.

We're pushing a former no 2 draft pick aside to fit all these guys in. We're in the Twilight Zone

With Aaron we have English as a very good forward/ruck and Bruce is handy, being second in the Coleman. Then there's the no 1 draft pick. Then Sam Darcy one draft later who just kicked 6 for Vic Metro. And Croft Jnr one draft later who is a dominant KPF.

We're pushing a former no 2 draft pick aside to fit all these guys in. We're in the Twilight Zone
After years of watching us recruit any journeyman palooka over 190cm who has ever wondered into a 50 metre arc as our forward saviour.

Its really weird having multiple (too many. is that a thing?) options of the real deal.

Whats weirder still, is the fact that the generational forward that we currently have, landed in our laps as a backman.

Not quite - we are still playing an undersized battler in a key defensive post. thats pure Footscray.

Basically if we replace Cordy at FB with an elite quality player, Im changing to support North Melbourne. Just wouldnt see the point

As good as Astro is I do not think his first 5 years are comparable to Chris Grant. Remember he kicked 51 goals in an very average team has 17 year old.

That is in no way meant to down play how good Astro is and how great he may become. Chris was also robbed of a Brownlow by Ian Collins.

How lucky we are to have both of them.

You wanted Naughton playing in the backline from memory Fronk? Ready to re-visit that call?
I originally wanted him to stay as an FB as he was looking like an absolute world beater down there (likely 10x AA career) nothing wrong with that but in hindsight you'd prefer a pack crashing contested marking forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he improves his goal kicking by even 25% and stays injury free, he will be the leading goal kicker years on end playing CHF

As good as Astro is I do not think his first 5 years are comparable to Chris Grant. Remember he kicked 51 goals in an very average team has 17 year old.

That is in no way meant to down play how good Astro is and how great he may become. Chris was also robbed of a Brownlow by Ian Collins.

How lucky we are to have both of them.

51 goals in a season in 1990 equates to about 35 in the modern game.

Naughton is on track to be at Grant's level. And Grant was an absolute gun. Grant had more skills but doesn't have the marking ability Astro has.

I think Richardson is a very good comparison in terms of playing style. Kicks for goal like him too. 😂

Naughton is on track to be at Grant's level. And Grant was an absolute gun. Grant had more skills but doesn't have the marking ability Astro has.

I think Richardson is a very good comparison in terms of playing style. Kicks for goal like him too. 😂

Remember Chris was 17 I repeat 17 and in his first season when kicked 51 goals. This record as the youngest to kick 50 goals in a season will never be broken. Astro is very good but has a bit to go to get to Chris's level he may do it hope he does.

Regrettably, with our currently available KPDs stocks, we might have to revisit this....for one year only. If we want to win this year, Naughts might have to go back. Trade, do whatever is necessary for next year, but for this year, I don't think a move back to save the day can or should be ruled out. Might be the difference between winning and losing the biggest game of all. The possibility that Marra, having shown a bit last night, could be a third tall option opens the door.

Regrettably, with our currently available KPDs stocks, we might have to revisit this....for one year only. If we want to win this year, Naughts might have to go back. Trade, do whatever is necessary for next year, but for this year, I don't think a move back to save the day can or should be ruled out. Might be the difference between winning and losing the biggest game of all. The possibility that Marra, having shown a bit last night, could be a third tall option opens the door.

it was only a week ago that our forward line (without him) got destroyed by Sydney. And no key forward has really got hold of us this year.
I’m not sure of the logic of this post. Yes he’s an upgrade on Cordy but Naughton is heart in mouth stuff with ball use. Don’t want that in the backline.

No surprise that once he was back JUH started having far more easily looks. Naughton is vital for the development of JUH (whose not ready for any other role than 3rd tall).

I don't think JUH will hold his spot either (not against someone like Melbourne when we need 2 rucks). But yes exciting that we know that we have another AFL capable KPF youngster.

Last edited:
it was only a week ago that our forward line (without him) got destroyed by Sydney. And no key forward has really got hold of us this year.
I’m not sure of the logic of this post. Yes he’s an upgrade on Cordy but Naughton is heart in mouth stuff with ball use. Don’t want that in the backline.
The logic is that outside of Keath and if Gardner is unavailable it not's worth playing either Cordy or Young and pretending that we have 2 KPDs capable of playing finals football. Playing either of those 2 will be costly IMO. So what's the alternative? Asking Wood to play as the second tall? Possibly but my view is that we would need to include Marra to allow for the possibility that Naughts might be required to go back...potentially for most of the game if we're not dominant in the middle.

It's an assessment of risk. How risky in a big final does a backline of Wood, Keath, Duryea, Williams, Cordy/Young, Dale look compared to Wood, Keath, Duryea, Williams, Naughts, Dale and if you take Naughts out of the forward line, does Bruce, English and Marra compensate adequately enough for it. It's not a call I particularly want to make but such is the dearth of our KPD options, it's back on the table IMO....for this year.

If we want to win this year, Naughts might have to go back. Trade, do whatever is necessary for next year, but for this year, I don't think a move back to save the day can or should be ruled out.

Ive been thinking about it lately, It should seriously be considered.

The following things need to be happening for me to consider Naughton down back this season.

Tim English needs to be playing.
Stefan Martin needs to be playing.
Jamarra needs to be playing consistently and good footy.

Unfortunately, I can't see all three of these things happening consistently.

The following things need to be happening for me to consider Naughton down back this season.

Tim English needs to be playing.
Stefan Martin needs to be playing.
Jamarra needs to be playing consistently and good footy.

Unfortunately, I can't see all three of these things happening consistently.
Not to mention Bruce is in a lean patch of form as well. It’s not an option. Getting a fit and firing Woody back as the third tall will help our defence massively IMO. I hope he can and have a big final 6 weeks.

And its hard to compare Grants early career with a mdoern forward becaues of the whole 1:1 -> flooding thing.

If teams still religiously played 1:1 defence these days, you would play to Naughton like Carey - clear out the entire forward line and let Naughton compete directly with a single opponent. He would have them covered every which way, it would be terrifying for a defender.

Back