• Forward

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • Defender

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Wing

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s shown potential to become the best key forward in the league. Why would we move him to defense when we’ve been starved off developing a key forward for as long as I’ve been a fan of the club?

He’s stated himself that he loves playing forward. After what happened to Dunkley I hope Bevo learns to play players in their preferred positions. There’s probably 16 clubs that would offer him a million + a year to play him as a key forward where he’s shown dominance and potential to be a superstar.
I hope Bevo plays him forward because he has the ability to be a great the way he can crash packs and fly for marks when out of position

I also hope Bevo continues to play players where it’s best for the team not where they prefer. We will leave players picking their positions to sh.t clubs like the bombers

Agreed. But I’m honestly content with Bruce/Tim/Stef/Schache as key posts

Have we seen enough of that set up to be happy with it? 2 praccy games with three of them, one of the games we didn’t get much of a return. Schache hasn’t played in either.

A fwd line with Naughts in it gives me a lot more confidence than one with only Bruce and Schache plus Martin and English rolling through.

Let’s be honest we’ve had two good seasons from Naughton but for the most part they have been more about his promise than his arrival as a genuine star.

In 2018 he finished 4th in our BnF as an 18yo playing as a key/intercept defender.

In 2019 he played as a KPF and kicked 32 goals including a bag of 6. Good season but not world shattering.

So while we are all excited about him he hasn’t really dominated a season yet.

I just want to see him able to play a full season and deliver on his enormous potential. We know he can do that in defence and he could be very valuable there especially as we have identified a KPD weakness.

We think he can do it as a forward but there are still some question marks. If he can he’d be an amazing asset there.

If he delivers in either role it would take us a long way to making the top 4 and thus a serious tilt at the flag.

Defense for me. As you’ve all pointed out, less likely to be injured down back and immediately solidifies the back line. Happy with Tim, Bruce, Schache, Bont and JUH developing as our talls up forward. Bruce and Naughton have shown on roughly 10 occasions that they are not very compatible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is it possible he can play in Croziers role round 1? Obviously not as strong at ground level and won’t offer as much on the rebound but I like the idea of him playing loose and just getting a free run at the ball while Gardner and Keath take the big boys.

I'm still in the forward camp. Most of his injuries just seem to come down to bad luck which fingers crossed will one day turn. Bruce didn't fill me with confidence that game and I don't think any combination of Bruce/English/Schache will be able to stand up against the top tier defences. Naughton could be the difference in a final at the end of the year if we get our structures right. With how proactive we can be with our midfield and rebounding defence I still see the best use of him as a forward.

One would think by now that a clear answer should have formed about where Naughts should play. I still haven't found the answer. What is clear is that, thus far, the current forward setup does not work well. Naughts sees himself as a high-flying pack mark which comes off sometimes but not enough to get real value out of his ability. I think he should lead more and try to burn off his opponents. I'd give him a string of games as a forward to see if he can create chemistry with the other forwards. We haven't, however, got all season to experiment and something needs to click soon.

One would think by now that a clear answer should have formed about where Naughts should play. I still haven't found the answer. What is clear is that, thus far, the current forward setup does not work well. Naughts sees himself as a high-flying pack mark which comes off sometimes but not enough to get real value out of his ability. I think he should lead more and try to burn off his opponents. I'd give him a string of games as a forward to see if he can create chemistry with the other forwards. We haven't, however, got all season to experiment and something needs to click soon.
This is where his lack of experience as a forward in his junior years might hold him back. It's probably the main unresolved question about him as a forward.

I've never been a KPF or forward coach but here's how I see it:

Flying for a pack mark is probably much the same skill and anticipation whichever end of the ground you are playing so it translates fairly well from defence to forward play. However positioning, running patterns and leading for a ball coming from the midfield are unique to a forward, both in timing and in spatial/traffic awareness.

That's much more complex. It doesn't mean he can't eventually learn it but he's starting late and for quite a while it won't be what is usually called "instinctive", i.e so ingrained that the response is automatic. The natural forward doesn't have to think it through each time the ball is coming forward. That split second advantage from instinctive play can be crucial in getting a yard on a defender. Not only that but the decision-making of the natural forward (which way to run, when to go, when to double back, etc) would be better.

If that turns out to be the case he will for a time - maybe for his whole career - be more of a one-dimensional forward where his main weapon is the big mark. That would make him much easier to counter than a player who can not only take a big mark but also meet the incoming pass at full speed with a yard to spare on his opponent.

If so, that would have me leaning back to the view that he should return to defence. However in the short term we should persevere a bit longer and see how it works out, because all his 2020 and 2021 preparations have been as a forward.

Alright since when are you less likely to get injured down back lol, is this a new thing??
I would think because you don't have a bunch of oppos trying to stop you any way they can from marking, including crashing into you while you have your eye on the incoming ball. In defence, the boot is literally on the other foot.

He’d smash any key forward in the league with his marking, confidence and speed. Right now he’s playing games getting 7-8 touches and burnt on leads. Seems a massive waste.
I remember in his first year as a defender, he was in a one on one with C Curnow (I think) and absolutely bodied him.

I would think because you don't have a bunch of oppos trying to stop you any way they can from marking, including crashing into you while you have your eye on the incoming ball. In defence, the boot is literally on the other foot.
You have big full forwards crashing packs too, if anything you should be getting more free touches up front as your midfield should be picking you out. I really don’t think there’s much difference if any in the chance of getting hurt down back or up forward, unfortunately the way Naughty plays he’ll probably always pick up some impact injuries, he’s just been a bit unlucky lately I don’t think it’s concerning yet

You sometimes need to go back with the flight in defense though, and have crazy bastards like Aaron Naughton or Tom Lynch running straight into your back.

Back