• Forward

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • Defender

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Wing

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keen to hear people’s thoughts after the first month of the season? Anyone changed their minds? On track to have a very very nice season here, on track for 50 at this rate, I’m hoping for more though to be honest. Most people’s concern was he wasn’t impacting enough when he wasn’t scoring goals, he’s been super consistent and the goals have just been a bonus to what he’s brought so far.

Im a bit disappointed with his goal kicking because I do expect better from him, should probably have close to 15 on the board by now. His set shots for the must kicks are actually really dependable but he hasn’t been hitting enough of the 50/50s. Plus he’s never really a chance from the pockets, needs to work on that as they’re pretty simple stuff these days and it’ll make him good for at least one more goal a game if he sorts that out. That’ll come though, he’s capable of being pretty accurate I reckon. Only a matter of time until he puts a big bag on the board.

Keen to hear people’s thoughts after the first month of the season? Anyone changed their minds? On track to have a very very nice season here, on track for 50 at this rate, I’m hoping for more though to be honest. Most people’s concern was he wasn’t impacting enough when he wasn’t scoring goals, he’s been super consistent and the goals have just been a bonus to what he’s brought so far.

Im a bit disappointed with his goal kicking because I do expect better from him, should probably have close to 15 on the board by now. His set shots for the must kicks are actually really dependable but he hasn’t been hitting enough of the 50/50s. Plus he’s never really a chance from the pockets, needs to work on that as they’re pretty simple stuff these days and it’ll make him good for at least one more goal a game if he sorts that out. That’ll come though, he’s capable of being pretty accurate I reckon. Only a matter of time until he puts a big bag on the board.
Wouldn't say I've changed my mind, as we haven't really seen the alternative so it's impossible to know.
I will say however that the team as a whole is clicking pretty well, which means I'm less inclined to flip him back right now, even though I think he'd be a better player there.
Some key differences to end of last year when this was robustly discussed:
- Gardner isn't a total spud anymore. He showed this year that he's actually competent in the role he was playing. Lewis Young had good signs on the weekend too. So the equation of Bruce/Naughton/Keath/Gardner (or Young) vs Bruce/Schache/Keath/Naughton is closer than it was previously when there was a clear weak link.
- Bruce and Naughton's forward chemistry is progressing somewhat. Good signs that it is improving, although it's nowhere near perfect.
- With English playing forward more, when Bruce and Naughton lead to the same spot and get in each other's way it's not so bad as it's dragging two tall defenders away from Timmy as the deeper option. We didn't have this available to us last year.
- Bruce has worked hard over the off-season to get back into form which is taking some pressure off Naughton.
- Bevo has actually shown an inclination to swing Naughton back at times this year, something that hadn't really happened before. This is a pretty powerful tool, should be used more often.

So yeah, all working well at the moment in defense and attack so happy to keep watching and hopefully this set up can keep producing.

The addition of English has been huge for him. It means he can play CHF up the ground, where his athleticism is massive.

Funny to think we’ve been crying out for key forwards for years, we now have 3. One a key defender turned forward, another a ruckman turned forward.

The addition of English has been huge for him. It means he can play CHF up the ground, where his athleticism is massive.

Funny to think we’ve been crying out for key forwards for years, we now have 3. One a key defender turned forward, another a ruckman turned forward.
Yeah I love him at CHF, he’s really the most genuine old school CHF going around at the moment, with all the other highly rated young talls deep FF 200cm types.

It really is such an incredible position we find ourselves in right now. While everyone on the main board fights over who the best forward is out of King x2, McKay etc Naughtys not even comparable to them, Timmy is our answer for those types, and he’s taken more contested marks than all of them. Then we’ve got what none of them have in a genuine superstar at CHF and in the twos we’ve got probably the best of all just biding his time in Jamarra.

Amazing position to be in right now and * it’s enjoyable considering what we’ve been through as bulldogs supporters in regards to key forwards.

The CHF style role he is currently playing suits him perfectly. He'll kick fewer goals as a result of playing farther up the ground but it will help our ability to score immensely.
I love how he just turns and goes pretty much every time although he probably needs to learn when to just settle a little bit. We need to make sure we’ve always got runners streaming forward for him as his disposal can be pretty sloppy, could be a weapon for us taking big contested marks up the wing then using JJ/Williams streaming past to move us forward

I feel like I have two personalities lol. After round one I was sold on him back.

Now I love him forward. Maybe because the 3 big boys are working well together? But golly he’s a star!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton's terrible kicking has me even more convinced he needs to stay forward. That kicking coming from defence would be a real liability. At least if he sprays a shot at goal it's easier to defend a kick in than a turnover at their attacking end.

A lot easier to kick it from out of defense. Matt Boyd went from Paddy Dow ball butcher in the middle to Caleb Daniel elite when he went to back pocket.

Regardless Naughton is staying forward for the foreseeable future

I think a lot of people forget just how good Naughton is as a defender. I remember from the very first pre-season match he played he was an automatic lock. I'd say given Schache and JUH (or even Hannan, who is building form as a 3rd tall marking forward) are playing well in the VFL, perhaps try putting him back and giving one of those guys an opportunity. If it doesn't work you can always move him forward again.

I think a lot of people forget just how good Naughton is as a defender. I remember from the very first pre-season match he played he was an automatic lock. I'd say given Schache and JUH (or even Hannan, who is building form as a 3rd tall marking forward) are playing well in the VFL, perhaps try putting him back and giving one of those guys an opportunity. If it doesn't work you can always move him forward again.

Because it upsets the pecking order of which defender takes on our tall forwards. Bruce then gets the number one tall (thus reducing his effectiveness), not to mention Naughton is there abouts the best pressure player we have in forward 50.

I just don't understand the rational of changing this structure when we are 6-0 with a sky high percentage. Why change the structure?

As much as I'd love to give JUH a debut he's 12 months off and Schache is the type who needs a tall like Naughton to increase his effectiveness (just like late 2019). Schache has been very successful in VFL this season not just because he has improved but also JUH commands the bulk of defensive attention.

Maybe just alternate him between defence and attack every week to make sure he never builds any consistency in his game and our back and forward lines never build any synergy.

Because it upsets the pecking order of which defender takes on our tall forwards. Bruce then gets the number one tall (thus reducing his effectiveness), not to mention Naughton is there abouts the best pressure player we have in forward 50.

I just don't understand the rational of changing this structure when we are 6-0 with a sky high percentage. Why change the structure?

As much as I'd love to give JUH a debut he's 12 months off and Schache is the type who needs a tall like Naughton to increase his effectiveness (just like late 2019). Schache has been very successful in VFL this season not just because he has improved but also JUH commands the bulk of defensive attention.
Well, it'd be the same structure, just with different personnel. Schache's workrate has improved massively since last year, and given Bruce's best game last year was with Schache as the second tall, we do have some evidence that if Schache keeps his workrate up, that him and Bruce can be effective up forward together.

As for JUH, I feel as though he still needs a taste just to show the level he needs to get to and what he needs to work on. Right now, JUH is kicking bags even though the way he's actually playing still needs a lot work. His goals basically make him look like he's playing better than he actually is, so an AFL game would be a good reality check to show him where he's really at.

I just think if you have too much depth in one area, and not a lot in the other, why not experiment a bit to see if you can get more out of your playing list, given the form of players not getting a game. Just like how Bailey Smith has been moved from onballer to wing due to depth, as opposed to not playing him at all.

Maybe just alternate him between defence and attack every week to make sure he never builds any consistency in his game and our back and forward lines never build any synergy.
I'm just talking a 1-2 week experiment here. If it works, he can stay in defence, and if not, he can go back up forward and stay there. Not once did I indicate he should be a swingman who is constantly shifting back and fourth between attack and defence.

I'm just talking a 1-2 week experiment here. If it works, he can stay in defence, and if not, he can go back up forward and stay there. Not once did I indicate he should be a swingman who is constantly shifting back and fourth between attack and defence.

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that 6 weeks into a season in which you're in a commanding position within the league is not the time for drastic experimenting. We're number one in everything so we know what we are doing now is working better than you can ever hope. But that's just my opinion.

I can see some merit to Naughton playing back but I would want him to do his preseason there first. I wouldn't make the switch mid-season.

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that 6 weeks into a season in which you're in a commanding position within the league is not the time for drastic experimenting. We're number one in everything so we know what we are doing now is working better than you can ever hope. But that's just my opinion.

I can see some merit to Naughton playing back but I would want him to do his preseason there first. I wouldn't make the switch mid-season.
That is true, but I feel that you are going well enough that you can afford to experiment, with some potential pay-off to be even better, if it comes off. While I do agree it is preferable to have Naughton do a pre-season there first, let's remember that he bas basically a ready-made key defender from day one and has played enough down there for it not be a problem. Maybe it might take a few weeks to get used to it again, but overall, I feel given how the team is going, it's a low-risk, high-reward scenario, which could at the very least fast-track the development a player like JUH or know if Schache is up to it.

But what you're saying makes sense and I can respect that. I just feel if Bevo can swing the axe at selection and still be undefeated, you can afford to experiment a bit, especially given the depth and form of certain players at VFL level.

Back