Strategy Naughton should be our number 1 key forward

Dogsman16

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we had more KPD depth I would love to try Cordy forward again and play him alongside Naughton.

Just the type who plays a team first role with heaps of physical presence in the air and on the ground. Would be ideal with him provide the blocks and added physical presence.

Wouldn’t mind a second Zaine Cordy. But at this stage Boyd/Schache or someone else needs to find it within themselves to do these team orientated things, which would allow Naughton to really thrive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogsman16

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d be interested to see (apart from Hall) who has been the most successful/best KPF we have had in this decade (2010-2019). I’d say between all of Jones, Campbell, Redpath, Boyd, Schache (the names that spring to mind who played KPF for some duration) amongst others, none of them would have kicked more than 25 goals a season.

Not only does it show how bad our KPFs have performed this decade but also highlights how extraordinary Naughton’s start to this season has been considering his age and experience as a forward.

Might do some research post 2011 as to our tall forwards and some key stats (goals, marks inside 50, contested marks etc).

EDIT:
2013 - Liam Jones (22 goals, 1.2 average, 1.8 marks inside 50 per game, 1.7 contested marks per game.

2015 - Jack Redpath (19 goals, 1.6 ave, 1.9 marks inside 50 per game, 1.4 contested marks 50 per game)

2016 - Jack Redpath (20 goals, 2.0 average, 2.7 marks inside 50 per game, 1.5 contested per game)

2018 - Josh Schache (17 goals, 1.3 average, 1.6 marks inside 50 per game, 0.7 contested marks per game)

2019 AARON NAUGHTON (as of round 8)

14 goals - 1.8 average
2.6 marks inside 50 per game
3.1 contested marks per game

Only Redpaths 2016 season was anywhere near comparable in term of output. And even then Redpath was heavily reliant on being able to get hit up on the lead. Certainly wasn’t able to be the pack marker that Naughton provides (which is so crucial in the modern game).

Goes to show how difficult we have made it for ourselves when we haven’t had a key forward kick 25 plus goals for the past 7 seasons. Their wouldn’t be another club in the comp that has got such lowly output from its key forwards.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #180
I was just thinking that there isn't a single player in the comp I'd trade him for. Am I crazy? Is he not there yet? Might he still not become a great key forward? Who would we take in his place?
He's Bontempelli mk 2.
Nobody on this board was really sweating on him and hoping he'd fall to us (like the Bont) but inside 18 months he's become one of our most important players.

Top Bottom