Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Back

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought our key defenders held up really well without Naughton. Hogan, Taberner and Mcarthy kicked about 2 goals between them. Trengrove, Cordy and Wood were real solid.

I really want to persist with Naughton up forward. If he has a month of failure with Boyd along side him, sure move him back.

But for instance say we had Mason Cox. Naughton would have doubled his goal tally with someone like Cox in the side.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
These are the sort of opportunities he’d get if there were one or two other forwards in the side that demanded respect from the opposition.

We’ll need more of the same in the second half here!

CrozaN

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FUnny how we draft a rank 1 forward in Boyd, a rank 2 forward in Schacke........both dominated in the juniors and ranked by their forward game.

Boyd won us GF so i can't be harsh, but he hasn't lived up to it, Schacke hasn't either yet given age/games.

Next minute, no name no hype kid called Naughton decides to play forward probably for first game he has done, and in what 7 games, has basically schooled them and broke a bulldogs record and almost an AFL record at 19.

MIND BLOWN

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought our key defenders held up really well without Naughton. Hogan, Taberner and Mcarthy kicked about 2 goals between them. Trengrove, Cordy and Wood were real solid.

I really want to persist with Naughton up forward. If he has a month of failure with Boyd along side him, sure move him back.

But for instance say we had Mason Cox. Naughton would have doubled his goal tally with someone like Cox in the side.

Doesn’t need Cox, just go alone young man.

With Boyd luring in defenders he could easily kick 60 plus. Why waste him in the backline, Has to be developed into our number one key forward with Boyd in support.

Floridog

All Australian
Mar 8, 2014
Southwest Florida
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Florida Everblades
Wholeheartedly agree, send him back!!, irreversible damage is being done playing him forward.
Yes, He MUST go back. Our backline structure desperately needs him back there. He should never ever move forward of the center bounce circle again this season!!!

Now, that being said, next year he should certainly move forward. I will have had the chance to pick him for my Pieman team by then;)

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
FUnny how we draft a rank 1 forward in Boyd, a rank 2 forward in Schacke........both dominated in the juniors and ranked by their forward game.

Boyd won us GF so i can't be harsh, but he hasn't lived up to it, Schacke hasn't either yet given age/games.

Next minute, no name no hype kid called Naughton decides to play forward probably for first game he has done, and in what 7 games, has basically schooled them and broke a bulldogs record and almost an AFL record at 19.

MIND BLOWN

In WA Naughton was always well regarded as a junior, guess all the Vic boys get more hype because they are closer to the AFL microscope.....saying that the kid played in the WAFL and state champs as a key defender....as folk say, if WBD can get a fit/firing Boyd or Schache in there to help, then hopefully the goals will come most games.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The difference between Richmonds small, inexperienced backline and Freos was stark. God it was nice to be on the opposite end of that situation for a change.,

Hamling played a very good game, wish we had someone like him.

Richmonds let Norton free of body contact and get a run at the ball. Shows what he can do if he is given that kind of latitude.

I dont know WHY they did that - because they were so dumb, or because we (as a team) were smart? hopefully moire of the latter.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No doubt Richmond played to Naughton's strength, and a better defensive unit won't allow him such free reign. But what a boost to his confidence and yet another insight into what an exciting prospect Naughton's turning into. So bloody exciting.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy Mother’s Day Mrs Naughton. Thank You for having perfect genes. Thank you for providing the sustenance to fuel the great one. Thank you for teaching your son perseverance, so that even though he may be stinking up the first half we now know he can still win the game in the second.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We all did this last night...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190512-112751_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20190512-112751_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 324
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Seriously can't believe how good this kid is. He was incredible last year but now doing it as a forward takes things to a whole new level. Since Baz left I've desperately pined for a big key forward. Our impotence up forward has made us so hard to watch over the last two years. It's just so nice having a bloke who can take contested marks in F50 which leads to the occasional easy goal. Up until now it has felt like we have to work so hard for our goals compared to other teams. There's still a lot of work to go building a quality forward line but finally having that pillar is such a relief. On a personal level I feel like it has made my sperm count go up a bit. Glad bevidge is willing to try players in different positions. Like he said, it's not that hard to find competent key backs but it's very difficult to find dominant key forwards (paraphrasing a bit).

Last edited:
Pick 7 Hunter Clark, pick 8 Nick Coffield, pick 9 Aaron Naughton. St Kilda lol
Pretty sure we wanted Coffield, Naughton was our second choice (Ed Richards our third choice for pick 9!)

Cordy is a seriously underrated player too. Turning into a great backman (and a more than handy ruck, way better than Shache!)
Cordy is naturally aggressive which is vital as a ruckman.

I vaguely remember he and Tim Callan chatting and laughing at quarter time at Willy as they had both managed to rub an opposition player's face in the mud.

Back