NBA All Time Mixer Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Pistol Pete - he wore #44 a lot. So number over 40 for him.

Apparently he's been described as the greatest offensive talent of all time and the best ball handler of all time. I could use some of that next to Bob "I can only go one way" Cousy.

It's a bit of an awkward fit because I already have Reggie Miller on the bench as the 2 man but, whatever, a wing is a wing.

pistol-between-the-legs.jpg

• 5× NBA All-Star (1973, 1974, 1977–1979)
  • 2× All-NBA First Team (1976, 1977)
  • 2× All-NBA Second Team (1973, 1978)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (1971)
  • NBA scoring champion (1977)
  • No. 44 retired by Atlanta Hawks
  • No. 7 retired by Utah Jazz
  • No. 7 retired by New Orleans Pelicans
  • NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
  • 2× College national player of the year (1969, 1970)
  • 3× Consensus first-team All-American (1968–1970)
  • 3× SEC Player of the Year (1968–1970)
  • 3× NCAA Division I scoring leader (1968–1970)
  • NCAA Division I all-time scoring leader
  • No. 23 retired by LSU

With this pick, I might go a bit unconventional. I need a power forward, and want someone who's elite defensively to provide an elite big man defensive combo with Walton off the bench, but can still make an offensive impact within a system. This guy has proven he can be an impact player in the 3-ball era, and is absolutely a defensive presence. He's also a winner.

I'll take Draymond Green

ap_232219560232.jpg

Draymond has not won the MVP

PG: John Stockton (league leader)
SG: Dwyane Wade (number under 10)
SF: Larry Bird (won 3pt/dunk/skills)
PF: Elvin Hayes (number over 40)
C: Bill Russell (one club player)

Gary Payton (3 or more teams)
-
Chris Mullin (5x all star)
Draymond Green (not won MVP)
Bill Walton (UCLA/Duke/North Carolina)

Just got HOF left

Wacky Tiger you're up mate

I’m out camping at the moment.

I’ll switch Mutombo to 5 or more all stars and I’ll go a nice roll player off the bench.

Big Shot Rob

Robert Horry 3 or more sides

Clutch scorer off the bench. 7 rings so knows how to get the job done

images

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Elgin Baylor
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench: James Harden
Bench: James Worthy
Bench: Dikembe Mutombo
Bench: Robert Horry

I’m out camping at the moment.

I’ll switch Mutombo to 5 or more all stars and I’ll go a nice roll player off the bench.

Big Shot Rob

Robert Horry 3 or more sides

Clutch scorer off the bench. 7 rings so knows how to get the job done

images
Yeah I don't understand this kind of pick

Most teams are bound to have a few clutch scorers already (you do in Kobe/Olajuwon/Dirk). You thus won't really need 'clutch scoring'. What else did Horry provide to be in the top 80-odd players of all time? Not much at all.

But you're out camping, so I forgive you :p

Not a huge fan of yesteryear, but need a North Carolina guy...

Bob McAdoo.

Last pick will be Kevin Johnson. Need a backup point and this guy was a regular 20/10 guy while shooting 50%. I could imagine he's be awesome in today's game.

Bob McAdoo.

Last pick will be Kevin Johnson. Need a backup point and this guy was a regular 20/10 guy while shooting 50%. I could imagine he's be awesome in today's game.
So the categories all fit? KJ is a good pick, would've considered him at my last pick if I didn't already pick Payton

Wacky Tiger up again

Final team

PG - Magic Johnson (led the league)
SG - Klay Thompson (has not won the MVP)
SF - Dominique Wilkins (dunk comp)
PF - Charles Barkley (played for more than 3 clubs)
C - Shaquille O'Neal (hall of fame)

Bench
PG - Kevin Johnson (number under 10)
Wing backups - Kawhi (one club)
Wing backups - Bob McAdoo (North Carolina)
Backup big - Dwight Howard (5 or more All Star appearance)
Backup big - Chris Webber (number over 40)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final team

PG - Magic Johnson (led the league)
SG - Klay Thompson (has not won the MVP)
SF - Dominique Wilkins (dunk comp)
PF - Charles Barkley (number under 10)
C - Shaquille O'Neal (hall of fame)

Bench
PG - Kevin Johnson (number under 10)
Wing backups - Kawhi (one club)
Wing backups - Bob McAdoo (North Carolina)
Backup big - Dwight Howard (5 or more All Star appearance)
Backup big - Chris Webber (played for more than 3 clubs)
Really like the big and PG rotation on that team. Bit of a lack of depth at SG, though

Bob McAdoo.

Really like McAdoo from the old school guys. Was one of the guys on my shortlist for my last pick. Looks really smooth with his skills and seemed to have good range on his jumpshot. Won an MVP award averaging 34.5 points and 14 rebounds. Oh, and he rocked a mean set of lambchops.

Played a lot of C but was only 6'9", so it's tough to know how'd transition to today's game. But he seemed to go up against guys like Kareem, so maybe he was just a beast without having typical height for a C.

Really like McAdoo from the old school guys. Was one of the guys on my shortlist for my last pick. Looks really smooth with his skills and seemed to have good range on his jumpshot. Won an MVP award averaging 34.5 points and 14 rebounds. Oh, and he rocked a mean set of lambchops.

Played a lot of C but was only 6'9", so it's tough to know how'd transition to today's game. But he seemed to go up against guys like Kareem, so maybe he was just a beast without having typical height for a C.
Problem with McAdoo is that his defense was reportedly lacking. Although, at this stage, you’re not going to find any players who are at ATG-level both offensively and defensively, so you need to balance your bench with players who had either brilliant scoring or defensive games, or very good (not ATG) players with balanced games

Problem with McAdoo is that his defense was reportedly lacking. Although, at this stage, you’re not going to find any players who are at ATG-level both offensively and defensively, so you need to balance your bench with players who had either brilliant scoring or defensive games, or very good (not ATG) players with balanced games

Yeah, have heard / read that. Difficult to see that in highlight reels, so we can only go on what's reported and on the stats. I don't know how reliable advanced stats are from the 70s, and defensive advanced stats are mixed at the best of times. But he seemed to rebound well, block a decent amount of shots earlier in his career and his Defensive Win Shares seem to suggest that he was somewhat solid as a defender. And as noted above, the offensive stats and highlight reels look really good.

Should have created 2 more categories, reckon a team of 12 for an all time team would be a lot more realistic

Should have created 2 more categories, reckon a team of 12 for an all time team would be a lot more realistic
How about we go 2 more rounds with very general categories 1 old school player and one modern player. That way we can fill out our rosters without too much restriction from the categories. Any interest from the rest of you?

Must have won DPOTY
Must have been born outside the US
Must have had a weird hairstyle
Must have been arrested
Must have had a fully sick nickname
Must have played until they were at least 38
Must not have gone to college

Maybe I don't pay enough attention while people talk about the 60s and 70s, but other than Russel was there people that were known for their defense back then?

Maybe I don't pay enough attention while people talk about the 60s and 70s, but other than Russel was there people that were known for their defense back then?
True, it sounds like if your offence was very good back in those days, you were completely forgiven for a lack of defensive effort.
Must have won DPOTY
Must have been born outside the US
Must have had a weird hairstyle
Must have been arrested
Must have had a fully sick nickname
Must have played until they were at least 38
Must not have gone to college
Hmm yeah alright, let’s add two more rounds/categories

Must have been arrested
Must have played until they were at least 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Back