NBA Week 6 Thread - I'd rather anything than watch Jordan Poole

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Simmons keeps making interesting points on his podcasts that all time legends like Bird, Jordan and Magic kept playing through the injury barrier and tried to play as many games in the regular season as they could, whereas the likes of spoilt, pampered 'superstars' like Embiid and esp Jimmy Butler often have to be rested/managed throughout the regular season.

Think a legitimate argument can be made that both Jojo and Butler are too soft/avoid regular season games when they clearly could play and as a result haven't got the true winners mentality to lead their team(s) to a chip.

How many years in a row has Embiid avoided playing Jokic in Denver now ? 4 or 5 ?

Load management is for piss weak flogs imo.

LeBron is older than peternorth's great great great grandma yet he still fronts up for the Lakeshow game in night out.

Got to give LBJ props for that at least. Probably the most mentally strong player and professional prepared player who has ever played the game (and maybe in all of pro sports worldwide)

Load management is the calling card of cowardly coaches (and players)

It's a bit simplistic, especially when load management is a collective decision, but it is a discussion worth having.

Not really sure Jimmy Butler is a great example to use though when he routinely puts up huge numbers in the playoffs. In fact he and Miami last season might be Exhibit A in the case for load management, not against.

One problem is that home court advantage in the playoffs isn't really what it used to be, unless you're Denver. So regular season wins only provide marginal value to begin with. You could tweak the playoff formula to have the top 4 seeds playing each other, a la the AFL or NRL, but the problem is that having a 'series' off for the winner results in a two-week break in the NBA, which is probably too long. Perhaps shortening the first and second round playoff series to five games would be a partial remedy for that.

Another way the regular season is devalued is draft position. The Bucks technically had the 30th pick in the June draft, despite being knocked out in the first round, while the Lakers had the 17th pick despite making the WCF and the Heat had the 18th pick despite making the Finals. Penalising teams for winning regular season games by demoting them in the draft ain't sending a great message to coaches and management about 'load management'.

Bill Simmons keeps making interesting points on his podcasts that all time legends like Bird, Jordan and Magic kept playing through the injury barrier and tried to play as many games in the regular season as they could, whereas the likes of spoilt, pampered 'superstars' like Embiid and esp Jimmy Butler often have to be rested/managed throughout the regular season.

Think a legitimate argument can be made that both Jojo and Butler are too soft/avoid regular season games when they clearly could play and as a result haven't got the true winners mentality to lead their team(s) to a chip.

How many years in a row has Embiid avoided playing Jokic in Denver now ? 4 or 5 ?

Load management is for piss weak flogs imo.

LeBron is older than peternorth's great great great grandma yet he still fronts up for the Lakeshow game in night out.

Got to give LBJ props for that at least. Probably the most mentally strong player and professional prepared player who has ever played the game (and maybe in all of pro sports worldwide)

Load management is the calling card of cowardly coaches (and players)
Do you really think load management is the result of coaches and/or players making a unilateral decision about whether or not they feel like playing? It's more likely a collective call led by strength and conditioning / sports scientist teams.

These areas have developed massively since the time of the players you mention. I imagine the argument that would be made by these experts is that their output could have been even better if their programs were optimised as they are now.

By calling players/coaches weak you also overlook the fact that everybody's body is different. Some are better able to withstand the rigors of intensive, repeated exercise. You also have no idea what they're carrying behind the scenes.

Calling professional athletes' mental fortitude, attitude, and personalities into question because of this is willfully ignorant at best.

Do you really think load management is the result of coaches and/or players making a unilateral decision about whether or not they feel like playing? It's more likely a collective call led by strength and conditioning / sports scientist teams.

These areas have developed massively since the time of the players you mention. I imagine the argument that would be made by these experts is that their output could have been even better if their programs were optimised as they are now.

By calling players/coaches weak you also overlook the fact that everybody's body is different. Some are better able to withstand the rigors of intensive, repeated exercise. You also have no idea what they're carrying behind the scenes.

Calling professional athletes' mental fortitude, attitude, and personalities into question because of this is willfully ignorant at best.

Aside from the first round of the playoffs being a best of 5 instead of best of 7 series back then, the stars of the NBA played the same exact number of games back then as they do now (with far less advanced medical and training advances)

Unfortunately Embiid has a proven history of missing games against quality opponents (esp Joker @ Denver) and I think we have enough of a sample size that I think we can say he hasn't got the warrior mentality.

LeBron pushes through the pain and mileage barrier at 38 years of age.

Physically the NBA was also far more brutal in the 80s and 90s.

I just don't believe (fundamentally) in load management.

Aside from the first round of the playoffs being a best of 5 instead of best of 7 series back then, the stars of the NBA played the same exact number of games back then as they do now (with far less advanced medical and training advances)

Unfortunately Embiid has a proven history of missing games against quality opponents (esp Joker @ Denver) and I think we have enough of a sample size that I think we can say he hasn't got the warrior mentality.

LeBron pushes through the pain and mileage barrier at 38 years of age.

Physically the NBA was also far more brutal in the 80s and 90s.

I just don't believe (fundamentally) in load management.
Give me this list for Embiid, the idea he is ducking these opponents is so unbelievably stupid. The guy who has won 5 or 6 straight games against AD, the guy that completely dominated his last game against Denver. He isn’t ducking opponents. ‘Warrior mentality’ is such a morning sports talk show hot take rubbish, it means nothing. Embiid has carried the Sixers to the play offs year in year out, he isn’t a perfect player but how many players in the league are the best offensive and defensive player on his team? Giannis, Embiid? Who else the list would be bloody small.

Also the same Lebron that has played 55, 67, 45, 56, 55 games in the last 5 years?

Saying you don’t believe in load management is hilariously arrogant. You know better than the best sport scientists and doctors across all sports do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the most boring Bucks season in recent history, knowing full well this team is not capable of winning the title.

The talent of Giannis/Dame is amazing and will win games alone but the coaching staff is beyond horrid and will lose games alone. Nothing can be done either, they aren't going to sack Griffin with a winning record.

Was kind of hoping we'd lose a bunch, have a below .500 record and they'd make a move but Giannis/Dame too good to allow that on most nights.

Just makes the season zzzz

Probably the most boring Bucks season in recent history, knowing full well this team is not capable of winning the title.

The talent of Giannis/Dame is amazing and will win games alone but the coaching staff is beyond horrid and will lose games alone. Nothing can be done either, they aren't going to sack Griffin with a winning record.

Was kind of hoping we'd lose a bunch, have a below .500 record and they'd make a move but Giannis/Dame too good to allow that on most nights.

Just makes the season zzzz

1 or 2 games off being 1st seed is the most boring thing you can encounter and you have given up on Giannis + Dame + team? Crikey man. It's way too early to give up. I have not given up on the Hawks and/or Trae and we are not in the same stratosphere as the contenders.

1 or 2 games off being 1st seed is the most boring thing you can encounter and you have given up on Giannis + Dame + team? Crikey man. It's way too early to give up. I have not given up on the Hawks and/or Trae and we are not in the same stratosphere as the contenders.
Not really giving up if you never really believed in the first place.

I'd be incredibly happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see anything to suggest the coaching staff on the Bucks can win us a title. Sheer talent alone is not going to be enough.

Deep playoff runs need good coaching, Bud for all his issues at least was a very solid coach and instilled good principles throughout the regular season.

I'd be incredibly happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see anything to suggest the coaching staff on the Bucks can win us a title. Sheer talent alone is not going to be enough.

Deep playoff runs need good coaching, Bud for all his issues at least was a very solid coach and instilled good principles throughout the regular season.

I can see the Bucks panicking before the All Star Break and fire Griffin and replace him with Doc Rivers

I can see the Bucks panicking before the All Star Break and fire Griffin and replace him with Doc Rivers
Yeah not sure if panicking is the right word but I agree that a more experienced coach for a replacement would be on the cards.

See what happens, again I don't believe they'll make any moves unless the record starts to look really bad. If we're on track to finish Top 3, he'll be there for the playoffs.

Yeah not sure if panicking is the right word but I agree that a more experienced coach for a replacement would be on the cards.

See what happens, again I don't believe they'll make any moves unless the record starts to look really bad. If we're on track to finish Top 3, he'll be there for the playoffs.

AG would be in real s*** if the Bucks dropped a couple of those close wins you had against the lowly Wiz and Blazers.

To be fair, it took Ime Udoka in the 2nd week of January to start coaching well for the Celtics, I do think Jrue and his defensive nous and hustle has been a big loss for the Bucks.

Trading for Caurso is probably the best move the Bucks can make right now. The East is still fairly weak, Cavs and Heat are flakey, Pacers young and inconsistent. Knicks have a limited ceiling with their roster as currently constructed.. Orlando have been playing out of their skins lately, but it's not sustainable for the entire season and they will drop away soon (finish around 6th when all is said and done)

Still think one out of Celtics, Bucks or Sixers will come out of the East.

That would work great, they will not understand a ******* word he says and Giannis will just do what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back