NBA - who do you support and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agent 86

Senior List
Oct 23, 2000
Just wondering, with the majority of us here Aussies, what compelled you to the NBA team you support? For me it's Minnesota, for the plain and simple reason that about the time I started taking an interest they drafted Longley (always barrack for the Aussies), then a few years later Heal. No other reason. How bout you?

I don't really have an allegiance to any one team...for some reason i found it difficult sticking to one NBA team when i started following it. Like any kid growing up when MJ was playing I loved the Bulls, I still have his singlet, but after his last retirement I kinda adopted Detroit too...until Grant Hill departed. Now i'm torn between my old allegiances with Chicago and Detroit, but i'm also a big fan of the new breed, Vince Carter and Ray Allen so the Raptors and Bucks are on my plate as well. Then throw in the LA Clippers cause I like an underdog who looks like turning the corner with some real talent like Darius Miles and Lamar Odom. So yeah basically i'm a fan of the game...who hasn't decided on one team yet. Hopefully by season's end i'll have a better idea.

I like to follow the Clippers just because they are the a team that does'nt have much following in Australia. They are starting to get a very good team together and I hope they make the play offs.

Always been a Lakers man, when I played in my local town comp. it was for a team called the Lakers and when I started getting interested in the NBA, and found out that's who were named after, I took more interest in them.

Chicago- Always supported them, was a huge admirer of #23. I'll continue to support them through good and bad times, and know that we have a good future ahead of us.

Originally posted by Same Old's
Phoenix Suns - I started following them in the early 90's because I liked the way Kevin Johnson played. Throw in Charles Barkley and I had team.

Go Suns!

You picked a goodie. With Marbury and Marion it should be quite a ride for the Suns next year.

When i was little my Gran and I used to watch a lot of basketball. Her favourite teams were the Lakers and the Pistons cos she loved Isiah and Magic. I have soft spots for both those teams now but Jordan caught my eye the most. When your that young and you watch a guy dunking on ppl at will you tend to love him. The rest is history, Bulls through and through.

Used to have a soft spot for the Lakers until they got Shaq and Kobe, because i loved and respected the great #32. Also have a soft spot for Detroit cos i used to like Isiah and Joey D. Hill reinforced my soft spot for them but now he's gone.

But i crush anyone in the way of a Bulls victory, soft spot or not!

I've been a Lakers since the day they drafted Magic. My Father was working in LA in 79/80, and there was a lot of fanfare about how good Magic was and what he was going to bring to the team. Dad used to play Basketball in Canberra and loved watching the game, so we probably went to around 30 games that season. I even have a team photo with Magic's and Kareem's autograph.

yeah.. find it hard to support a team when players are so regularly traded like commodities...

was a suns follower during the early to mid nineties tho, as i was a huuuuuge KJ fan.. collected all his basketball cards, bought his converse shoes, had his jersey...

but nowadays... dont really have any allegiances...

but i must say, some of the underdogs are looking good..
the clips (young and exciting)
the mavs (lot of white guys in the team, international flavour)

I have been a Lakers fan since the early 80's. I remember as a child watching replays of the NBA finals that they used to show on tv early Sunday mornings and seeing that great number 32 in action. Magic was the greatest, he made basketball what it is today.

My policy on American sporting teams was to pick a team in a small market that was bound to be unpopular in Australia.

And you don't get much smaller, or less popular, than the mighty Utah Jazz.

Didn't work for the Packers though - every bast@rd jumped on that bandwagon a couple of years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by carb70
I have been a Lakers fan since the early 80's. I remember as a child watching replays of the NBA finals that they used to show on tv early Sunday mornings and seeing that great number 32 in action. Magic was the greatest, he made basketball what it is today.

Magic, Bird and Jordan made it what it is today. Pity todays game isnt as good.

New York.......because I support New York in everything in the US. Don't know why...it just seemed silly to me to support the Lakers in Basketball and the Redsox in Baseball etc etc when they are from opposite sides of the US so I chose New York as the city I'd follow.

NY Knicks, NY Mets, NY Jets and NY Rangers!!!

:D

I dont really follow anyone but my fave team is the Charlotte Hornets, becuase I use to have them as my team on NBA Jam against my brothers and i would win all the time. I also like any team that has an Australian on their list.

Victoria Titans are the ones in the NBL for me

I am a huge fan of the Orlando Magic and have been since the Shaq days but stuck with them even when he left.

Favorite player is Tracy McGrady by far. I went to the US and Canada at the end of last year and was fortunate enough to see the Vancouver Grizzlies versus the Orlando Magic game, a highlight for me!!!

Stegelator is that Horace Grant or Grant Hill because both are playing with them now and Anfernee Hardaway is now at Pheonix!!

Golden State Warriors, I don't know why I like them, I guess it's because in the early 90s when I was a fairly big fan of the NBA, they were a team that was a contender for the NBA title.

Boston Celtics, I like their team in the early 90s, Dee Brown, Larry Bird, Parrish, and the late, great Reggie Lewis.

Charlotte Hornets, They are the 3rd newest team, and have not got a bad team in Mashburn, P.J, Brown, Wesley, Coleman, Davis and others.

The NBA is my 2nd favourite sport behind AFL, and im a Hornet through and through.

Originally posted by Xie
Charlotte Hornets, They are the 3rd newest team, and have not got a bad team in Mashburn, P.J, Brown, Wesley, Coleman, Davis and others.
The NBA is my 2nd favourite sport behind AFL, and im a Hornet through and through.

Same ere Xie, Im a Hornet through and through ever since I had a Hornet hat when I was young tucker. B.Davis is a star and can do some mad **** :D

X_Box_X
Check your PM's buddy

Originally posted by Top Dog

Same ere Xie, Im a Hornet through and through ever since I had a Hornet hat when I was young tucker. B.Davis is a star and can do some mad **** :D

X_Box_X
Check your PM's buddy

Mate, we have alot in common.
shall do buddy, Ill check my PM now!

Have always been a HUGE Bird and Celtic fan and enjoyed their battles with the Lakers during the 80s and 90s. When Bird coached Indiana, I followed them also.

I watched Jordan from the start of his rookie year (after hitting that famous 15 footer for Nth Carolina) and admired his awesome skills - the greatest player of all time!

Loved watching the Majic man, Bernard King, Vinnie (the microwave) Johnson and Isiah (16 points in 90 seconds) Thomas.

Ahhh...memories!!! :D

Originally posted by Shermanator
Have always been a HUGE Bird and Celtic fan and enjoyed their battles with the Lakers during the 80s and 90s. When Bird coached Indiana, I followed them also.

I watched Jordan from the start of his rookie year (after hitting that famous 15 footer for Nth Carolina) and admired his awesome skills - the greatest player of all time!

Loved watching the Majic man, Bernard King, Vinnie (the microwave) Johnson and Isiah (16 points in 90 seconds) Thomas.

Ahhh...memories!!! :D

Ahh Sherm, im with ya buddie. THe 80's and 90's were the best. Loved to watch Bird, Magic, Micheal and Isiah. Many other great name out of the 80's and 90's like Olajuwon, Ewing, Drexler, Wilkens, Malone, Dr J, Barkley ect ect ect. Just awesome.

Todays NBA is good but a shadow of its former self.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back