Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2015
The future
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AC Milan, Arsenal, North Adelaide
me-and-my-co-workers-reaction-after-we-found-out-that-our-job-can-earn-more-money-than-our--managers-24794.gif

The_Game_1981

Club Legend
Pokemon is Life A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Oct 14, 2009
A Yellow Submarine
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle, The Exers
Great news for the NBL.

But I feel Bogut won't dominate the NBL. He'll be good (if he isn't injured), but it's not like he's an offensive great.

Provided he stays fit the could easily average a 20 point Double Double for the season.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
His value has always been greater than his numbers. If he's able to stay on the court (and I really hope he does) he'll make an enormous difference to their culture and their fortunes.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Good for basketball in Australia.

It is good for basketball in Australia as long as there is no special deal, subsidy, central funding, allowance, salary cap concession (or whatever) that is given to one team and not others.

He is on a million. The league has a soft salary cap of 1.1m last I heard. You can pay more, but you will be taxed heavily by the league. Kings don't have great revenue, so lets see how this is working.

Obviously they will make it all public at some stage.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I dont mind too much as long as the NBL are happy to just pour money into the Cairnes/Illawara

Im getting the feeling it will turn into a Sydney V Melbourne V Adelaide V Perth which would kill the enjoyment of the league, fair enough Sydney is the biggest market and they have been trash for a while

Would of loved for him to sign at Illawara. Apparently part of the negotiations he gets share of the Kings ownership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I dont mind too much as long as the NBL are happy to just pour money into the Cairnes/Illawara

Im getting the feeling it will turn into a Sydney V Melbourne V Adelaide V Perth which would kill the enjoyment of the league, fair enough Sydney is the biggest market and they have been trash for a while,

as long as its not league money or any arrangement that is different between clubs

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Obviously they will make it all public at some stage.
Don't count on it. The "New NBL" started with all kinds of promises about salary transparency and soft cap penalties being redistributed to the poorer clubs, and not a word about it has been seen since, despite some of the big bucks being thrown around by some of the richer clubs.

I'd actually be ok with Bogut's contract being topped up by the NBL, given his positive impact for every team, but it sounds like that isn't happening anyway. Instead there are arrangements with Sydney's owners that probably fall outside the salary cap, such as his ownership stake, and "business opportunities through AEG Ogden’s holding company called Sydney Arena Sports Investments". Again, ok with me as long as a fair amount is still in the cap.

I do worry about Cairns & Illawarra though. It feels like the NBL is repositioning itself as a bigger money league, but there aren't actually enough big money locations in Australia to have that work. They're playing a dangerous game if they squeeze the regional locations out and rely on multiple teams from the cities. Even a single team in Brisbane is struggling for traction.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Don't count on it. The "New NBL" started with all kinds of promises about salary transparency and soft cap penalties being redistributed to the poorer clubs, and not a word about it has been seen since, despite some of the big bucks being thrown around by some of the richer clubs.

I'd actually be ok with Bogut's contract being topped up by the NBL, given his positive impact for every team, but it sounds like that isn't happening anyway. Instead there are arrangements with Sydney's owners that probably fall outside the salary cap, such as his ownership stake, and "business opportunities through AEG Ogden’s holding company called Sydney Arena Sports Investments". Again, ok with me as long as a fair amount is still in the cap.

I do worry about Cairns & Illawarra though. It feels like the NBL is repositioning itself as a bigger money league, but there aren't actually enough big money locations in Australia to have that work. They're playing a dangerous game if they squeeze the regional locations out and rely on multiple teams from the cities. Even a single team in Brisbane is struggling for traction.
As long as it's done correctly it should be fine

Expansion has never worked in the NBL. I think they feel they have only 4 Truly solid teams in Melbourne, NZ, Adelaide and Perth. Even Sydney went through s**t.

I dontthink expansion just yet. OR if it is it needs to be done correctly.

The_Game_1981

Club Legend
Pokemon is Life A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Oct 14, 2009
A Yellow Submarine
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle, The Exers
I've heard rumours that Bogut is now a part owner of the Kings and as such his income will be supplemented by the revenue the Kings make therefore eliminating the need for luxury tax on the cap.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Anything other than a drought-breaking championship will be a failure for the 36ers, no pressure. Need Childress to extend his stay
I would think that anything short of a championship would be a failure for Sydney, not Adelaide, considering that with Bogut, Randle, Lisch, Newley, Blanchfield, and now Kickert added as well, they've got likely the most expensive roster in NBL history (and by quite a significant margin, I would guess).
Adelaide had a great season but I see them going downward, not upward, next season. Childress's price might be too high for his production, and I could imagine Creek heading to Europe next season. Let's see who they can sign before setting the bar.

I would think that anything short of a championship would be a failure for Sydney, not Adelaide, considering that with Bogut, Randle, Lisch, Newley, Blanchfield, and now Kickert added as well, they've got likely the most expensive roster in NBL history (and by quite a significant margin, I would guess).
Adelaide had a great season but I see them going downward, not upward, next season. Childress's price might be too high for his production, and I could imagine Creek heading to Europe next season. Let's see who they can sign before setting the bar.

Creek is still contracted for a year at Adelaide so he’ll be around.

Rumours have Alex Pledger heading to United.

GSW4EVA

Draftee
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Andrew Bogut's return to Australian Basketball is great for the NBL.

My personal view is he will be a good role player for the Kings much like David Anderson for United (assuming he can remain fit).

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Bogut will bring some structure to the Aussie game....Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back