NBL 2018/19 Season

Who will win the title

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee whiz, thought we coughed that up

Hopefully get a couple back soon.

Not sure it's a cough up when you win :moustache:. Oh wait you wrote thought, my bad

That Cotton foul on the horn was the funniest thing I've ever seen in the NBL :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Should have been the South East Melbourne Magic. Fail again NBL.

Phoenix sounds like they are transferring over from Super Netball.

Is there a dedicated NBL general discussion thread?
I like the colours and the idea behind the SE Melb phoenix but there's something a little cringe worthy about the name.
The logo font 'S.E Melbourne' is very basic, embarrassingly so.
Also will they be playing in SE Melbourne?
Used to live in North Dandy for a year do I'll be supporting them.
The jersey could take some inspiration from the Celtics black/green Guernsey they are wearing against the Jazz

Yeah i think Magic would have been very popular. Im a little disappointed. Agree with what you said about branding so far, dont hate it but doesn't inspire me to grab some merch asap. I think its not really the time to get too unique, using nba names and jerseys would have worked better.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perth up by 4 and like 4 seconds to go, Cairns go up the court Melo Trimble hits a 3 and for some reason Cotton contests and fouls him. So ends up with tied scores and OT. Unreal scenes.
Didn't even really contest it. Dumbest thing I've seen him do.

How the hell did Cameron Bairstow play in the NBA?

I used to watch a lot of him in college and he developed nicely over his four years. He's had his injury problems but he's a shell of himself now, it's sad.

That screaming chick can go right to hell too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bullets coach dropped an F word in his televised final quarter time-out address. NBL HQ will not be happy.
Such a stupid stance for the NBL to take. They can't seriously expect the coaches not to swear at all during the heat of a game.

If they are so worried about broadcasting profanities, why don't the broadcasters just put it on a slight delay and then bleep out what's required?

Is there enough of a supporter base there for the Phoenix to be relatively successful? Melbourne United ended up working well so will there be enough supporters of the NBL left to go for the Phoenix?
Absolutely, there’s over 5 million people living in Melbourne and the South East is basketball heartland. It’s literally footy in the winter basketball in the summer, I don’t know the figures but I wouldn’t be surprised if basketball participation is bigger than football especially with all the girls that play.

Absolutely, there’s over 5 million people living in Melbourne and the South East is basketball heartland. It’s literally footy in the winter basketball in the summer, I don’t know the figures but I wouldn’t be surprised if basketball participation is bigger than football especially with all the girls that play.
Yeah, really if you were starting a new league from scratch, that area would be the first place you'd pick for a team.
I'm not super-inspired by the new identity, but I don't hate it either. Silly me immediately thought netball upon hearing the name, but only today did I learn that it has been over a decade since the Phoenix netball team existed. :flushed:
I like the colour scheme. Ultimately things like name and logo don't matter anyway. I really hope the new team is successful and sustainable because the league seems intent on letting the Hawks die, and Cairns are forever going to be in a precarious spot too as long as they can't compete financially.

240,000 in the state, 100,000 in the south east of Melbourne

AFL has 460,000 in Victoria

Yeah, really if you were starting a new league from scratch, that area would be the first place you'd pick for a team.
I'm not super-inspired by the new identity, but I don't hate it either. Silly me immediately thought netball upon hearing the name, but only today did I learn that it has been over a decade since the Phoenix netball team existed. :flushed:
I like the colour scheme. Ultimately things like name and logo don't matter anyway. I really hope the new team is successful and sustainable because the league seems intent on letting the Hawks die, and Cairns are forever going to be in a precarious spot too as long as they can't compete financially.

Same here, immediately thought of the netball team and didn't know they no longer existed!!!

Should have been the South East Melbourne Magic. Fail again NBL.

Phoenix sounds like they are transferring over from Super Netball.

I know right!

Tommy Greer's (new GM) reasoning was that the team is "rising from the Ashes" of the old team :rolleyes:

Well that's all well and good in year 1 Tommy, but what about year 5, 10, 15, 20 when they're just another team in the comp sounding like they should be in the W-League?

Embarrassing, they better not * up Tassie's name

I know right!

Tommy Greer's (new GM) reasoning was that the team is "rising from the Ashes" of the old team :rolleyes:

Well that's all well and good in year 1 Tommy, but what about year 5, 10, 15, 20 when they're just another team in the comp sounding like they should be in the W-League?

Embarrassing, they better not **** up Tassie's name

Rising up from the green ashes to form another dissapointing missed oppurtunity.

Melburnians have a weird fascination with old teams they stopped meaningfully supporting years ago.

If you want Tigers vs Magic vs Giants back so much how about doing something about it? The last time the Tigers played was the 2014 playoffs and they didn't even half fill Hisense Arena.

Not a massive fan of SE Melbourne Phoenix, has a South Dragons 2.0 vibe to it for mine. My guess is that the "basketball heartland" won't support the franchise and it will be gone in a couple of years. Eventually someone will revive the Giants or Magic or Tigers and after a short period of nostalgia Victorians will revert to not caring.

My prob is i have roots deep with se Melbourne right back to nunawading specters. I stopped watching all together for year. Thrown my support to united the glory days of the 90s are gone. I think the league is at a better place than it has been for years. Dont know how it shapes from here they def need to expand its a gamble. If a second franchise doesnt work in Melbourne i dont know if it would work anywhere (2 teams one city). Certainly wont work in Perth, Adelaide

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back