NBL 2018/19 Season

Who will win the title

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a neutral it was a very ordinary GF series. I'm sure Perth supporters don't mind though. White was very good throughout.
Yeah sorry

Full wildcat glasses on here.

Sorry for the nuetrals, but at least my footy team gave ya a good GF :thumbsu:

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Cotton is too good for this league. Had a stinker but was still able to lock down the next best PG in the league in Ware

Couple of coaching blunders. Benching goulding when hes been s**t all series and started hitting shots killed momentum. Infact some of the rotations of Melbourne were killer

Barlow gets props did all he could
However melbournes gameplan of running it via him in the post killed their offense. Moller rebounded and hustled ok but his shooting was a double edged sword. Wildcats dared him to take that shot all series. But they couldnt play small as Jervis and Brandt would straight out murder him st the C

White just killed it as well.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone got any stats on the foul counts? Felt like +10, -10, +10 etc. depending on venue. No wonder the home team wins 34/38 or whatever it is in Grand Finals. Perth, NZ Breakers, Melbourne Tigers and North Melbourne Giants the only teams to win away GF matches IIRC.

Terrico was massive all series, clear MVP. Cotton was busy all series but well defended. Struggled to really get off the chain but still a contributor and scored well in game 4. Tom Jervis is a bit of a spud but played some great minutes with Brandt in foul trouble. The block after the whistle was a non event. If the play is so clearly over why is Barlow going to the hoop anyway? You want to practice your offence, the centre can practice his defence. Was all ball anyway. Rapt for Greg Hire that he finished the game with ball in hand. Been a stalwart and a great role player this year. Perth do well with role players. Hire, Wagstaff, previously Brandt and guys like Redhage and Matty Knight who were long time starters that finished up as bench players and still played good minutes. I reckon 9 players made a meaningful contribution yesterday for Perth compared to maybe 5 or 6 for Melbourne.

If I was a Melbourne fan I'd be annoyed at how they played. It's a talented roster and they spend too much time looking for fouls. You can't rely on Goulding or Ware being hot all the time just like we can't expect Cotton to always get 25+ but you need to work around that. Barlow is a good scorer, Kennedy and Boone have strong inside game. Pledger is a monster on the offensive boards. Goulding was embarrassing in the series and in game 4 it felt like a lot of the time players were just looking to draw fouls instead of creating scoring opportunities.

If I was a Melbourne fan I'd be annoyed at how they played. It's a talented roster and they spend too much time looking for fouls. You can't rely on Goulding or Ware being hot all the time just like we can't expect Cotton to always get 25+ but you need to work around that. Barlow is a good scorer, Kennedy and Boone have strong inside game. Pledger is a monster on the offensive boards. Goulding was embarrassing in the series and in game 4 it felt like a lot of the time players were just looking to draw fouls instead of creating scoring opportunities.
Perth packed the paint all series and we’re going to make them beat them from the outside. They were walloped. Cotton and White (who was unbelievable) were hitting their shots when they got open. United did not. Also to his defence aware was battered pillar to post by Perth, hard screens on him and really worked him over. This is where United missed Tai Wesley badly as he would have let Cotton know he was around and he thrives on physical basketball. Perth were more physical and executed when it mattered.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Perth packed the paint all series and we’re going to make them beat them from the outside. They were walloped. Cotton and White (who was unbelievable) were hitting their shots when they got open. United did not. Also to his defence aware was battered pillar to post by Perth, hard screens on him and really worked him over. This is where United missed Tai Wesley badly as he would have let Cotton know he was around and he thrives on physical basketball. Perth were more physical and executed when it mattered.

Rebounds were 42-47 in game 1, 51-38 in game 2, 45-39 in game 3, 37-47 in game 4 (home team first for all). I think Melbourne missed a trick not putting more pressure on Jervis when Kay and Brandt were in early foul trouble in game 4. Even with Brandt on the court Pledger was a real headache for us, though Boone didn't have a good series. Get our 3 main bigs all on 2-3 fouls and it limits the defence in the paint a bit. Barlow, Goulding and Ware all have more to their games than catch and shoot threes, they just seemed more preoccupied with trying to draw contact than getting the best scoring opportunities. Our start to game 4 was also ridiculous. I think it was 10/12 from the field to start the game. White just seemed to gain more and more confidence as the series went on. Was a 16.9 PPG and 34% 3 point shooter for the season, then hit 19 (3/6), 17 (1/5), 31 (7/10) and 20 (3/7).

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The 36ers do something they've always said they'd never do - move to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/a...WHPvRAS93HlSpwzPFZIbwDIqip78vSxbqwELz2NWhXNLU

While the Entertainment Centre is far, far more convenient than TSA (which is literally in a backstreet), it is quite a strange move. The Entertainment Centre was actually built as an in the round arena with the assumption the 36ers would move from Apollo Stadium to the Entertainment Centre. The state basketball authorities at the time (BASA), who owned the 36ers, instead opted to build TSA so that they could own the venue they played in, and weren't subject to scheduling clashes.

From the Mitch Creek debacle, to the handling of the Lightning, and now this, you can't help but be a bit cynical about why the 36ers are really leaving TSA.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
Matt Nielsen leaves the Wildcats, to chase coaching opportunities in the US. A massive loss. Credited with constant player improvements (most recently and notably for the improvement in Nick Kay) and universally loved across the organisation & fanbase.

Good luck Nelly!

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gone to the US to chase his dream of being a full time Tom Green impersonator.

Roster looking a bit thin at the moment which is common this time of year.

Cotton, Martin, Wagstaff, Kay, Norton, Vague, Steindl. Terrico to return?
I think we'll be looking at three imports, as we're going to need a replacement for Angus and Tom. Vague is not up to it full time yet (tho I suspect he will be sooner than most think). I hope they're going super-hard to bring Terrico back.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Where's Tom gone?
It's not certain yet, but his wife and children live in Melbourne. I can speak from very personal experience that living away from your family for prolonged periods is VERY hard. I would not be surprised to see him at United or Phoenix next season. I imagine the Cats are trying to find a way to accommodate he and his family, but the fact that he didn't re-sign before April 1st speaks volumes.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
6668329c508a332b6c7312ead7cb66da.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How much money did the kings offer him that United couldn't get near it?

Not sure Randle was that good this season. Definitely an upgrade for them

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
How much money did the kings offer him that United couldn't get near it?

Not sure Randle was that good this season. Definitely an upgrade for them
Ware is the second best defender in the league, as well as being an outstanding offensive threat. He's a huge upgrade to Randle.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Disappointing for United. Clearly Sydney offered him huge $$$, and Melbourne declined to match. Although Melbourne won a championship off the back of a loaded squad where they would have paid the lot very handsomely, I think a salary cap does need to be enforced somewhat to ensure the survival of Cairns, Illawarra et al. Can't just have Sydney, Melbourne, Perth playing amongst themselves.

Wouldn't mind Melo Trimble.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Disappointing for United. Clearly Sydney offered him huge $$$, and Melbourne declined to match. Although Melbourne won a championship off the back of a loaded squad where they would have paid the lot very handsomely, I think a salary cap does need to be enforced somewhat to ensure the survival of Cairns, Illawarra et al. Can't just have Sydney, Melbourne, Perth playing amongst themselves.

Wouldn't mind Melo Trimble.

The salary cap was changed from hard to soft so that clubs could go get better players and have a better chance of keeping them. I don’t think the NBL will want to change that.

But we’re in danger of seeing an EPL style league where only a few clubs can genuinely compete. The luxury tax clearly isn’t working, might be time to look at other equalization methods.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back