NBL 2020/21 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but that doesn't leave much money to fill out the rest of roster years 2 and 3 without paying mega luxury tax (I think that's how it works in the NBL, I know there's a soft cap)
Yeah they're probably hoping he gets naturalised (which he will) and then try make him a marquee player which I believe means his salary is luxury tax free. Not 100% sure on this though.

Will we actually see stability in rosters, rather than the anticipated chaos, as players opt in to the relative stability and certainty of the NBL. Plenty of Euro clubs keep players waiting for their wages at the best of times, let alone post this scenario.

Although we obviously will see a reduction in imports as they drop from three to two. What would have happened if a club had already contracted their three imports for next season, before this rule was announced. Would have thought in an ideal world, Cairns would have loved to lock in their big three before the s**t hit the fan.

Yeah but that doesn't leave much money to fill out the rest of roster years 2 and 3 without paying mega luxury tax (I think that's how it works in the NBL, I know there's a soft cap)
I suspect Jack and Troy have bitten the bullet and decided to pay the luxury tax. Being reported over here that no-one will have to take a pay cut to cover Bryce's contract and that it won't affect the club's ability to chase other players.

Yeah they're probably hoping he gets naturalised (which he will) and then try make him a marquee player which I believe means his salary is luxury tax free. Not 100% sure on this though.
Not completely free, but only a set amount is taxed and the rest is free. The set amount starts at ~ $180k but increases for each marquee player that a club has.
So it would make sense to back-end his contract on the assumption that his citizenship comes through.
Note also that $2 mil in 3 years isn't all that much more than the $600k he was supposedly already on.

Last edited:
Not completely free, but only a set amount is taxed and the rest is free. The set amount starts at ~ $180k but increases for each marquee player that a club has.
So it would make sense to back-end his contract on the assumption that his citizenship comes through.
Note also that $2 mil in 3 years isn't all that much more than the $600k he was supposedly already on.
Yeah but the year 1 salary will only be something like 300k because of the pay cuts leaving a s**t tonne for years 2 and 3

Awesome news that Machado is signing a multi year contract. Personally think this is bigger than Cotton signing on, the fact a team like cairns is able to retain such a quality player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How come he never featured in the Boomers setup?

I mean he may have, I was young but I remember Scott Fisher and Cal Bruton playing for the Boomers but never Crawford.

Probably not good enough. Can only take one naturalised player and in ‘92 we took Leroy.

Correct answer to Royce

Crawford was also 32 in 1992, so after that they probably went for younger players instead.

Championship-winning centre Majok Majok will remain with the Perth Wildcats for the upcoming NBL season.

The Wildcats had a club option to retain Majok after the first year of his contract, and have elected to keep the strong West Aussie on its playing roster.

Majok joined the Wildcats on a two-year contract ahead of the 2019/20 season, and experienced championship success in his first season with his home town team.

He is looking forward to the challenge of a club three-peat.

"It's going to be exciting, it's always tough to defend a championship but that's a challenge we're all looking forward to," he said.

"I really had a fun year playing with the guys, being part of the Perth Wildcats organisation and playing in front of the Red Army."

Coming off a tough 2018/19 season, Majok rejuvenated his career with the move west, playing every game in Perth’s championship-winning campaign.

While playing a back-up centre role, he averaged 3.3 points and 3.6 rebounds per game, impressing coach Trevor Gleeson with his hustle around the basket.

"Majok was great for us, and it's great to have another championship player returning for next season," said Gleeson.

"His rebounding, his hustle plays and his willingness to do anything we needed for the team, it's great to have a player that works so hard for his teammates and really buys into our culture."

Majok joins Bryce Cotton, Mitch Norton, Jesse Wagstaff, Clint Steindl, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk on the Perth Wildcats roster for the next NBL season.

:)

Championship-winning centre Majok Majok will remain with the Perth Wildcats for the upcoming NBL season.

The Wildcats had a club option to retain Majok after the first year of his contract, and have elected to keep the strong West Aussie on its playing roster.

Majok joined the Wildcats on a two-year contract ahead of the 2019/20 season, and experienced championship success in his first season with his home town team.

He is looking forward to the challenge of a club three-peat.

"It's going to be exciting, it's always tough to defend a championship but that's a challenge we're all looking forward to," he said.

"I really had a fun year playing with the guys, being part of the Perth Wildcats organisation and playing in front of the Red Army."

Coming off a tough 2018/19 season, Majok rejuvenated his career with the move west, playing every game in Perth’s championship-winning campaign.

While playing a back-up centre role, he averaged 3.3 points and 3.6 rebounds per game, impressing coach Trevor Gleeson with his hustle around the basket.

"Majok was great for us, and it's great to have another championship player returning for next season," said Gleeson.

"His rebounding, his hustle plays and his willingness to do anything we needed for the team, it's great to have a player that works so hard for his teammates and really buys into our culture."

Majok joins Bryce Cotton, Mitch Norton, Jesse Wagstaff, Clint Steindl, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk on the Perth Wildcats roster for the next NBL season.

:)
Glad they've kept him. Felt like he was a bit quieter in the back end of the season and played less minutes, but imo he's one if the better backup centers going around and they probably got him fairly cheap

I swear Travers sIgned a contract with us mid year to be fulltime pro instead of a DP in 2020/21. No where ever seems to have him listed though as on our roster for next year and only ever list the players quoted above.

Anyone actually know if Travers is contracted for next season or still just a DP?

We are excited about the opportunity for Tasmania to have its own team in the NBL and welcome the announcement by the Premier that the Tasmanian Government has committed $68.5 million for the upgrade of the Derwent Entertainment Centre, including $20 million for a four court multisport community facility.
I bet it was the federal government's $25k handout that got this over the line. Onya ScoMo :thumbsu:

Kevin Lisch retires.

I swear Travers sIgned a contract with us mid year to be fulltime pro instead of a DP in 2020/21. No where ever seems to have him listed though as on our roster for next year and only ever list the players quoted above.

Anyone actually know if Travers is contracted for next season or still just a DP?
You're not alone. I could have sworn the same thing.

Kevin Lisch retires.

Jesus, Sydney getting torn apart.

Read that Bogut put his house in Sydney up for sale, so seems like his "I'll wait and see" is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back