Remove this Banner Ad

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Wonder if a marquee player type of thing would've helped Bryce to stay. Say you can have one player paid at a higher salary if you can afford it.
That already exists though, right? You can pay your starters pretty much whatever you like, provided you pay the associated equalisation tax

That already exists though, right? You can pay your starters pretty much whatever you like, provided you pay the associated equalisation tax
But apparently they weren't allowed to renegotiate any existing contracts and the 50% cut was strictly enforced.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
But apparently they weren't allowed to renegotiate any existing contracts and the 50% cut was strictly enforced.
Yeah, correct. Being able to renegotiate would kinda defeat the whole point of the league-wide salary cut though so I get why it wasn't permitted. (Not that the across-the-board salary cuts were ideal either)

I wonder how that works. If the active players over there are taking paycuts, does he take a haircut as well?

It's a good question, but even if it's a 50% pay cut he's still getting paid $6 million not to play in the NBA.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Plumlee still getting paid something crazy like $12 million this year for his NBA contract will work in the Wildcats favour.

Staying in Perth for money wouldn't be an issue as he's still getting paid a shitload.
On August 2, 2016, he re-signed with the Bucks on a four-year, $52 million contract.

By my maths that deal would end this year. Unless it was 4 years + change. Or a 4 years on top of existing. I assume Atlanta is picking up the tab for his contract atm.

Imagine being his parents trying to feed and clothe the kids. Three brothers, all 211-213cm, all 113+kg. And a 6ft+ sister as well.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
PG: Norton, Martin?
SG: Stiendl, Wani
SF: White?, Travers
PF: Wagstaff, Vague?
C: Plumlee?, Majok

😬😬😬

Yuck. Goodbye playoff streak

None of Melbourne’s contracted players have opted out. That’s McCarron, Prather, Ili, Lual-Acuil.

Olgun Uluc has reported this, which is intriguing (under the Ware news) -

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Nick Kay out too 😭😭😭😭😭

At this rate we'll struggle to put a team on the court.

You can't lose the best player in the competition and a double All-NBL first teamer and possibly our ex-NBA big man without wiping out the team.
Every chance the playoff run will end. Champs to chumps in one pandemic. Not happy.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Perth will go hard at a Landale/Motum to replace Kay, but can't see it happening. I believe Daniel Johnson is a free agent? I can see Perth going hard and trying to bring him back to WA from Adelaide.

Machado/Roberson will be high on Perth's import wish list to replace Cotton.

They could throw some money at Goulding too to give them a scorer that doesn't use up an import spot.

Role players like Te Rangi would be a good target, he was great 2 seasons ago but dropped right off last year when they reduced his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What teams aren’t looking s**t in comparison to last season right now though? Illawarra? They already sucked.

Every team is in a similar situation. Some a lot worse than others, but all of them are worse off.

I just hope the standard doesn’t fall as badly as I think it will.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Seen a fair few nuffies on social media thinking memberships should be refunded similar to the Boomers V USA games because of players pulling out

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow looks like we're truly done for next season atm unless we can get some better than expected bargain basement import(s) or some locals looking to play at home for reduced pay.
Thanks NBL!

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You'd think that this will be a great test of the Wildcats as an organisation. It's got to be one of the best run sporting clubs anywhere. Imagine losing the talent we have and then being able to wheel and deal with little to get a play off team together.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So the Wildcats only have Steindl, Norton, Wagstaff, Lo Buluk and Majok in contract, but they have an option to cut Majok. White, Plumlee and Vague out of contract. Martin will retire you'd expect.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So the Wildcats only have Steindl, Norton, Wagstaff, Lo Buluk and Majok in contract, but they have an option to cut Majok. White, Plumlee and Vague out of contract. Martin will retire you'd expect.

Travers/Wani being contracted hurts a bit especially with roster sizes cut, I don't think they're ready for a proper roster spot and minutes, especially since they seem to want to use Wani as a bit of a PG.

I think Perth will be aiming for something like:

Norton/Wani
Goulding?/Stiendl
Import?/Travers
Motum?/Wagstaff
Plumlee/Majok

Bench is looking like it'll be fairly cheap, if plumlee stays I don't think he will be after huge money, Kay/Cotton gone frees up a lot of money so they can probably splash some cash on a few new players.

I think they'll be after a Patterson/Prather/Hopson type import if they can snag someone like Goulding as a local. Otherwise I think they'll go for a Roberson/Machado type. And That's assuming imports can even get into the country.

Last edited:
Travers/Wani being contracted hurts a bit especially with roster sizes cut, I don't think they're ready for a proper roster spot and minutes, especially since they seem to want to use Wani as a bit of a PG.

I think Perth will be aiming for something like:

Norton/Wani
Goulding?/Stiendl
Import?/Travers
Motum?/Wagstaff
Plumlee/Majok

Bench is looking like it'll be fairly cheap, if plumlee stays I don't think he will be after huge money, Kay/Cotton gone frees up a lot of money so they can probably splash some cash on a few new players.

I think they'll be after a Patterson/Prather/Hopson type import if they can snag someone like Goulding as a local. Otherwise I think they'll go for a Roberson/Machado type. And That's assuming imports can even get into the country.
Leave Goulding alone, we’ve already lost Shawn Long!

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Leave Goulding alone, we’ve already lost Shawn Long!
5877f42742321cdf250a9ac657cb76acff-11-leave-britney-alone.rsquare.w330.jpg

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
No, not looking good. Although I'm actually encouraged by the fact that they only lost $100k last season despite their disappointing crowds, terrible luck with injuries, and poor results. Gives me some slight cause for optimism.

Back