brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
No, not looking good. Although I'm actually encouraged by the fact that they only lost $100k last season despite their disappointing crowds, terrible luck with injuries, and poor results. Gives me some slight cause for optimism.

I did have a chuckle about the administrator's comment about Illawarra's lack of 'recent' success.

Have they had any sustained period of success in the league? They only have one championship in their history (and that was on the back of the mother of bad calls from Eddie Crouch to decide the 00/01 semi final series).

Have they had any sustained period of success in the league? They only have one championship in their history (and that was on the back of the mother of bad calls from Eddie Crouch to decide the 00/01 semi final series).
Not holding a grudge I see ;)

No, not looking good. Although I'm actually encouraged by the fact that they only lost $100k last season despite their disappointing crowds, terrible luck with injuries, and poor results. Gives me some slight cause for optimism.

I’d say turning in a loss while having probably the most popular basketballer not in the NBA on the roster is slightly disappointing.

Imagine having one of the most marketable basketballers in the world on your roster last season and managing to still fu** it all up

They lost $1.7 mill across the previous 2 years and only $100k when Melo was there, by their low standards that was still doing well

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
This is a great article on said game

While the NBL technically supported the ref's decision, Eddie Crouch would only officiate one 36ers game the following season (where, from memory, he was reprimanded for inciting the crowd).

Starts from 2:02:12 the play in question

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
There are a LOT of Cats fans holding their breath in hope right now.

ETA: It was Lachy who called the Bryce opting out before anyone else. All those years on the sidelines at Perth Arena, he's just so close to the club. If he is willing to connect to this article, I'm willing to allow myself 1% hope.

Last edited:

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Illawarra finally succomb to the administrators

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The sooner the Hawks go, the better imo. They're just dragging the league down, there just isn't room for these small market teams if the NBL wants to reach the next level.

At an absolute minimum Hawks needed to be like the Taipans. Get 5k to every game, put together decent entertaining roster. Yet somehow they can't even do that despite having a guy like Lamelo.

I also think teams like the Hawks (and Taipans) are largely to blame for the salary cut this season because of corona virus. Most other teams would be able to survive with no cuts imo.

I also think teams like the Hawks (and Taipans) are largely to blame for the salary cut this season because of corona virus. Most other teams would be able to survive with no cuts imo.
I have no idea how you’ve reached this conclusion. All teams would feel the pinch with reduction in sponsorship income, very real chance of zero ticket sales for 2020 and that will lead to reduced membership uptake. The cuts are not to “prop up” one or two teams, it’s to ensure the league exists in some form and will be in position to recover post COVID.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
The Hawks have survived worse than having all their assets liquidated?
Things have been pretty dire in the past, Maybe not as bad as this but at least this time we have someone in the pipeline ready to invest.

Only team that's been in every single season of the comp has to count for something and Only one title doesn't mean we haven't been competitive, We've been in the playoffs a couple of times recently only to run into the Perth juggernaut every other season.

I don't get Australia's obsession with thinking the best course of action is kicking teams out of the league, You don't see Americans calling for Cleveland's head every season they don't have Lebron around.

Things have been pretty dire in the past, Maybe not as bad as this but at least this time we have someone in the pipeline ready to invest.

Only team that's been in every single season of the comp has to count for something and Only one title doesn't mean we haven't been competitive, We've been in the playoffs a couple of times recently only to run into the Perth juggernaut every other season.

I don't get Australia's obsession with thinking the best course of action is kicking teams out of the league, You don't see Americans calling for Cleveland's head every season they don't have Lebron around.

I never said kick them out, as you said as a foundation club it would be sad to see them go and lose that part of Australian basketball history.

With tourism ads like this it's hard to make a case for Cleveland :p

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
I never said kick them out, as you said as a foundation club it would be sad to see them go and lose that part of Australian basketball history.

With tourism ads like this it's hard to make a case for Cleveland :p
Yeah that part wasn't directed at you but the other deathriders, It would be extremely sad. Almost as sad as not having the Wolves in the A-League :p

That's a classic bit of internet, Should rip it off - Wollongong: Atleast we're not Geelong*

*Nothing against Geelong it was just the first city I thought of that fit.

Yeah that part wasn't directed at you but the other deathriders, It would be extremely sad. Almost as sad as not having the Wolves in the A-League :p

That's a classic bit of internet, Should rip it off - Wollongong: Atleast we're not Geelong.

Never go full Geelong

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no idea how you’ve reached this conclusion. All teams would feel the pinch with reduction in sponsorship income, very real chance of zero ticket sales for 2020 and that will lead to reduced membership uptake. The cuts are not to “prop up” one or two teams, it’s to ensure the league exists in some form and will be in position to recover post COVID.

It's hard to say without exact numbers but personally i think teams would struggle a bit but manage to survive ok while holding the momentum the NBL has built. Perth/Kings/Melb would be fine, NZ don't mind spending a bit, Adelaide/Bullets/SEM would be ok, where as teams like Hawks and to a degree maybe Cairns would be completely screwed.

I don't have anything against the hawks, I've been cheering them on the last few years hoping they can turn things around, but it doesn't seem like they can in illawara. I just don't think there is room for them as such a small market team if the NBL wants to grow. They are just holding everyone back, if they couldn't turn things around with Melo, they never will.

Best case if they wanted to keep the Hawks name and brand alive is reallocate them as the Tassie side, or possibly as a Canberra team.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
It's hard to say without exact numbers but personally i think teams would struggle a bit but manage to survive ok while holding the momentum the NBL has built. Perth/Kings/Melb would be fine, NZ don't mind spending a bit, Adelaide/Bullets/SEM would be ok, where as teams like Hawks and to a degree maybe Cairns would be completely screwed.

I don't have anything against the hawks, I've been cheering them on the last few years hoping they can turn things around, but it doesn't seem like they can in illawara. I just don't think there is room for them as such a small market team if the NBL wants to grow. They are just holding everyone back, if they couldn't turn things around with Melo, they never will.

Best case if they wanted to keep the Hawks name and brand alive is reallocate them as the Tassie side, or possibly as a Canberra team.

Put yourself in our shoes: Let's just take the Eagles and move them to a different part of the country and see how you like it, But it's okay because they get to keep the moniker.

Yes because we really had a fair run at things with Melo playing like less than half the season and the team being crippled by injuries, Can't base the entire viability of the club on one select year.

Unless we're talking about bringing a Singapore team into an Australasian comp... Because that was always going to go well.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Put yourself in our shoes: Let's just take the Eagles and move them to a different part of the country and see how you like it, But it's okay because they get to keep the moniker.

Yes because we really had a fair run at things with Melo playing like less than half the season and the team being crippled by injuries, Can't base the entire viability of the club on one select year.

Unless we're talking about bringing a Singapore team into an Australasian comp... Because that was always going to go well.

I think its either going to be relocate or fold. The hawks have been struggling financially for years. The league has had massive improvements in quality the last few years and increased spending but I just can't see the Hawks ever being able to catch up if they can't spend anywhere near other clubs. Their last owner was meant to be their saviour and they've collapsed.

No doubt the hawks have some passionate fans, but unfortunately a couple of thousand fans isn't anywhere near enough these days to be viable. If they weren't able to turn things around this year i don't think they ever will.

I don't have anything against the Hawks and hope I'm wrong, but even if they have a team next season I think it's only a matter of time before they fold.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
It's very sad to see the Hawks fall like this.

They were very unlucky with MB only being able to play 12 of a possible 28 games. That hurt the bottom line. Going from big losses to only a $100k nett loss was actually a big improvement. If they'd got a full season out of MB it probably would have been a small profit.

But that does tend to highlight the marginal nature of this franchise. Small market, small arena, hard to pull and keep big talent. Even with one name player you need your Scottie Pippens to be successful.

C-19 was obviously the knife in the guts they didn't need.

And they won't be the only national competition team to fail either. A lot of NRL clubs struggle year to year, soccer is financially dire, super rugby is on its knees, the netball championship has no money and so on.

Back