News NBL AFL Expansion

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
NBL chief Jeremy Loeliger has raised the prospect of AFL clubs becoming aligned with an NBL club or taking on a new franchise . Both Collingwood and Fremantle have been named as AFL clubs with a high level of interest.

Port Adelaide were aligned/sponsored with the Thunderbirds.

Given the current sponsorship of eSports by the AFC is a basketball franchise something we should do? I would not be a fan of it , at the moment, maybe down the track. Unless of course we needed some more jobs for the boys ;)

Would you drop support for the 36ers if the AFC put a team in or vice versa would you go all in if Port put a team in?

Thoughts?

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
NBL chief Jeremy Loeliger has raised the prospect of AFL clubs becoming aligned with an NBL club or taking on a new franchise . Both Collingwood and Fremantle have been named as AFL clubs with a high level of interest.

Given the current sponsorship of eSports by the AFC is a basketball franchise something we should do? I would not be a fan of it , at the moment, maybe down the track. Unless of course we needed some more jobs for the boys ;)

Would you drop support for the 36ers if the AFC put a team in or vice versa would you go all in if Port put a team in?

Thoughts?
Adelaide Football Club = Adelaide 36ers. I see no conflict there.
As soon as there is a Port Adelaide Power basketball team Port can have a club as well

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I miss the 36ers Crows exhibition games. Between Greenwood, Doedee, Jenkins etc. a fair bit of fun could be had by reinstating them.

I went to one of them years and years ago

Crows got 6 pts for a basket - it ended up being a draw, which I felt at the time was rigged

Andrew Jarman climbed up onto the backboard at one time and scored a basket up from there

When the starting lineups were announced, there was a mystery #6 for the Crows who was 'late' - They made their entrance late in the 1st quarter and it was just Phil Smyth who had switched teams

It would be worth doing just to be able to adopt the 36ers logo as a replacement for the abomination we currently have.

whitey_1975

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Around the Bend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
All OZ BBallerz,PPenguins,CBengals
NBL doesnt need to ride the coattales of AFL clubs, it will be riding Ben Simmons' for the next 15 years.
Having said that not against the idea, more merit in teaming up with 36ers than some random online gaming stuff.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I have a casual interest in basketball, as noted Ben Simmons may change that, but I guess like many of us , I 'follow' the 36ers and Adelaide United and the Bite etc because they are Adelaide teams and they are on my radar. I have no emotional connection ( until they make GFs and dont win them)

Using Collingwood , they have a Netball team in the National League, they want plans for an NBL team and that could halve the cost of any stadium build or hire. Its also about Brand Collingwood. When you hear about Collingwood its never the suburb its the sport teams based arounf the CFC.

The pertinent question is : Would I spend money going to see the Adelaide Crows Basketball Club? I'm genuinely not sure. Maybe novelty factor. Would I spend more on a combined membership package? Probably not.

I guess the bigger issue for me is what impact any of this would have on the football brand and if any dilution started to happen

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Thoughts?

I have no interest in basketball whatsoever, but if we can make a quid out of it and that improves the footy teams chances of on-field success, then I'm all for it. I don't think I'd take up memberships like I did with the women's footy though. Basketball seems to be a bit of a lemon in terms of making cash though, but this kind of change in business model might result in a positive change to that.

Sep 6, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has Australian basketball gone down in popularity as Pay TV and access to watching American basketball in Australia has gone up?

Wasn't that different to me as a kid in the 90s during the Jordan /Bulls era. I could list pretty much all the starters from the Charlotte Hornets (mah bois), Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic etc ... but would've been hard-pressed to name anyone in the NBL except that Davis guy who played for the 36ers. We only spoke NBA at school.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn't that different to me as a kid in the 90s during the Jordan /Bulls era. I could list pretty much all the starters from the Charlotte Hornets (mah bois), Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic etc ... but would've been hard-pressed to name anyone in the NBL except that Davis guy who played for the 36ers. We only spoke NBA at school.
I loved the NBA as a kid but could also name plenty of 6ers from the 90s, and a shitload of opposition too.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think there will be many fans who will support both sports passionately, equally. Interesting concept to merge sports teams together to form a franchise, but I feel it's not likely to change much in SA. Certainly most basketball fans are more interested in NBA than NBL from what I gather.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Mark Davis. Silk in the post. But i remember a few from the time,(excuse spelling) Brett Maher, Sam Mickinnon, Shane heal, Andrew Gaze, lanard copeland, Mark Bradtke, Andrew Vlahov genuine talent running around.

Back