NBL League Owner wants AFL club investment

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I posted this on the Freo board, and to date there hasn't exactly been overwhelming support of the idea. I personally don't like it either.

Has there been a footy club that has successfully done this in any other sport? Carlton, Collingwood and Parramatta all had a go at a soccer team and all failed miserably. Hard to say whether GWS and Collingwood will make netball a winner.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
I posted this on the Freo board, and to date there hasn't exactly been overwhelming support of the idea. I personally don't like it either.

Has there been a footy club that has successfully done this in any other sport? Carlton, Collingwood and Parramatta all had a go at a soccer team and all failed miserably. Hard to say whether GWS and Collingwood will make netball a winner.

Bulldogs also owned the Melbourne Monarchs baseball side, had them play a few games out of the Western Oval I think? Only lasted a few years.

Sounds like it's mostly a self interested thing.

He wants the competition (other sports) to pay to make his organisation stronger.

While there is potential for there to be a win-win there, sharing some resources and the like, to date the attempts to make it work haven't inspired further efforts.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA

He wants the competition (other sports) to pay to make his organisation stronger.

While there is potential for there to be a win-win there, sharing some resources and the like, to date the attempts to make it work haven't inspired further efforts.

Exactly, bloke knows some AFL clubs have capital to burn in terms of investing in his clubs. Can't see what they'd gain from being involved with what really is in spite of it's 'revival' still a pretty nothing comp.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Giants memberships and crowds were big, for netball, and i think it was the same for the Pies.

Both are actually going well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Thunderbird's had a pretty big partnership a few years ago but that's obviously netball.

As someone who follows basketball in this country, its in better nick than what it was a few years ago but they heyday of mid to late 90s and early 2000s are yet to return. We saw the Bullets and Kings - the leagues 2 biggest clubs - disappear and come back. We've seen local favourites such as Townsville fold, and then other favourites such as the South Dragons vanish and not to mention the Melbourne Tigers making way for Melbourne United.

We have really good local state competitions as well as a decent faux second tier league (SEABL) but there appears to be no pathways to entice local players to have a crack at the NBL (might have something to do with the seasons not running at the same time).

As for AFL investment.... Yes and no. Can't see it being too popular but at the same time if it reinvigorates a league that needs it then yes.

Shame my Grandfather probably isn't interested in coming on here and giving his view.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Giants memberships and crowds were big, for netball, and i think it was the same for the Pies.

Both are actually going well.

The question is whether it has a positive impact on the football side, whether it be financial, more supporters, that sort of thing. I can see why GWS would get into it, no doubt they would see it as a way to tap into the netball community in West Sydney (which I presume is quite large). But it's far too early to call it successful. What's it cost?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

:thumbsu: 100%. A call to the ego of some of the decision makers in clubland.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The question is whether it has a positive impact on the football side, whether it be financial, more supporters, that sort of thing. I can see why GWS would get into it, no doubt they would see it as a way to tap into the netball community in West Sydney (which I presume is quite large). But it's far too early to call it successful. What's it cost?
To early to tell with regards to affecting the club as a whole. I would say its a positive at the moment.

I honestly dont know the cost. But ive heard that with tv deals and sponsorship(with the good crowds theyve had) that its been very successful 1st year.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
To early to tell with regards to affecting the club as a whole. I would say its a positive at the moment.

I honestly dont know the cost. But ive heard that with tv deals and sponsorship(with the good crowds theyve had) that its been very successful 1st year.

Is the sponsorship you refer to standalone or does it include the footy?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Curious how the article mentions that a team couldn't be called Richmond Tigers, or use Richmond colours due to AFL rules, and yet the "Collingwood Magpies" netball team appears to wear black and white uniforms.

It's not that curious, it's pretty common knowledge that the AFL own all the IP used by the clubs. So they'd have to give their permission to Collingwood to use it for their netball team.

It's not that curious, it's pretty common knowledge that the AFL own all the IP used by the clubs. So they'd have to give their permission to Collingwood to use it for their netball team.

Completely understand all that, the curious bit is how it's stated as being an absolute fact that some clubs can't do it while other clubs clearly do.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Netball and AFL can work because a lot of grass roots clubs are Netball/AFL clubs. The sports are linked from the grassroots.

I dont know how the Europeans do it regarding Basketball/Soccer clubs so i wont comment but that is obviously his thinking.

But people were calling the NBL dead 3-4 years ago. The fact that they are talking about expansion is great for Basketball in this country. And with the Ben Simmons factor in the coming years, they could enter another golden age.

i personally would buy a Tassie/Hobart Devils/Chargers membership if they becomes a thing. I actually getting interested in the league again,

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
In the European soccer situation, you have massive clubs running teams in other sports, the latter being small time compared to the money soccer pulls in.

And that gives the greatest hint as to the only way it could work here, and that is where you have a club which has built up massive cash reserves over many years, dabbling in something small time which isn't going to send it broke.

The NBL may or may not fit the bill.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
No doubt in mymind that our clubs enthusiasm for AFLW and Netball in to inbed ourselves in our district and fits the target audience. Netball is a huge particpant sport, with juniors and their families our target for supporters.
Fair to say it's too early to judge results, doubt we'll retreat anytime soon though.
NBL not so much and it's a competing sport in a way the former aren't

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Imagine if Richmond brought back the Melbourne Tigers.... United would fall over pretty quickly
Honestly, The Tigers were dead in the water. The name change to united has been the greatest sucess for the club in 15 years. I dont think any tigers fans are going to turn the Atmosphere to KK-Partizan

Please dont ruin NBL again, every 5 years, you see some growth, League gets the idea More teams=MORE PEOPLE WATCHING!" and about 3 clubs become unfinancial. 8 teams right now is a struggle, With Townsville folding, Illawarra/Cairnes having tough times. I honestly don't know why they havent even tried another team In perth, with the Wildcats getting 14k+ to every game

Back