News NBN Chief Blames Gamers for the NBN being s**t

I originally read this as a Betoota Advocate article, and in a haha good one moment it turns out their article was based in truth

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-04/nbn-chief-blames-gamers-for-congestion/9832596

Online gamers have been called out by the head of the National Broadband Network as a major cause of congestion on the fixed wireless network.

NBN Co is "evaluating" slowing down or limiting downloads for users during peak times in order to overcome these fixed wireless congestion problems.

At a parliamentary hearing in Sydney this afternoon, NBN Co chief executive Bill Morrow said that the heavy users likely targeted by a fair use policy were "gamers predominantly".

How out of touch are these blokes?

Because it couldn't possible be everyone streaming Netflix every night, it's definitely the gamers.

yeah if they blame Netflix they will get in trouble if they blame gamer's no biggie

Because the mums and dads who vote use Netflix so you can't demonise them. It's the torrents and streaming that uses bandwith, games by comparison don't use much

Because the mums and dads who vote use Netflix so you can't demonise them. It's the torrents and streaming that uses bandwith, games by comparison don't use much
pretty much, we now have more people over 45 than under 30 in Australia, because politicians seem to believe no one over 25 games, let alone over 30 they probably think they aren't pissing off many voters by blaming gamers

add to that they are targeting fixed wireless which is country and they would feel even safer

You won't believe this even after I show you

Just had a quick google to get some numbers and 3 results down

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/enter...does-gaming-use-through-popular-examples.html

Believe it or not, some of the biggest online games use very little data while you’re playing compared to streaming HD video or even high-fidelity audio.

Where streaming 4K video can use as much as 7 gigabytes (GB) per hour and high-quality audio streaming gets up to around 125 megabytes (MB) per hour, (but usually sits at around half that) certain online games use as little as 10MB per hour.*

Their own ******* website.....

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
i'm getting 47.45mbps right now, ******* gamers slowing down my connection

I've been on Telstra cable for years and never had a drama and I've always got my solid 32/1. My area had an NBN rollout late last year but was postponed after the issues surrounding HFC NBN. They kicked it off again in February but I haven't moved over yet because we plan on moving house this year and I've noticed I'm getting NBN speeds anyway since lol. Just did a speedtest then to a few different Melbourne servers and I'm rocking 47/5. Come at me NBN.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
They are talking about this on 6PR as we speak

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I've been on Telstra cable for years and never had a drama and I've always got my solid 32/1. My area had an NBN rollout late last year but was postponed after the issues surrounding HFC NBN. They kicked it off again in February but I haven't moved over yet because we plan on moving house this year and I've noticed I'm getting NBN speeds anyway since lol. Just did a speedtest then to a few different Melbourne servers and I'm rocking 47/5. Come at me NBN.

My cousin said the same thing everyone moved to nbn and he's the last one on optus cable getting 100mbps constantly

Speaking to a network programmer with 10+ years of network coding under their belt today. They said at worst you're looking at 84MB/h when gaming online.

No idea how this idiot spouts what he does, clearly as uninformed as you can get. The problem being that people will believe what's written as there won't be enough mainstream media that covers the factual argument.

It's no surprise how terribly run the NBN is if this is the muppet in charge. Not only are we already going to get an inferior network, but they'll probably end up bandwidth limiting because they don't know how to run a proper network!

i'm getting 47.45mbps right now, ******* gamers slowing down my connection

i hate you.

every night when i check my download speed on the PSN im lucky to get above 6mbps

but i never get any lag in game, so maybe its the PSN server issue?

i hate you.

every night when i check my download speed on the PSN im lucky to get above 6mbps

Mines all over the place, my usual speed is around 80-90mbps but doesn't seem to go that fast when I'm actually downloading an update or game.

i hate you.

It's a PSN thing heard a few people complain about slow console download times, meanwhile I can get a 20gig patch off steam in under an hour :p

Mines all over the place, my usual speed is around 80-90mbps but doesn't seem to go that fast when I'm actually downloading an update or game.

what do you usually get when downloading / updating a game?

My internet plan is 25/5, on the opticomm fibre and if i do a wifi test on my phone or a speed test on my laptop im usually hitting 20's or higher with ease.

but it is only ever on the PSN and even XBOX console download speeds are extremley low and i dont know if i can fix it.

Back