News NBN Chief Blames Gamers for the NBN being s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Gigabyte is 1000 megabytes
Gigabit is 1000 megabits or 125 megabytes

Internet traffic is generally measured in megabits. If you're quoting megabytes then your other figures were wrong. 12/1 and 100/40 are all in megabits.

Internet traffic is generally measured in megabits. If you're quoting megabytes then your other figures were wrong. 12/1 and 100/40 are all in megabits.

That makes nbn even worse then

They should have went with fiber. They chose chopper wire instead to be cheap short term only for roll out to balloon cost out further than the fiber cost and not secure Australias future.

*******s looking for excuses instead of blaming the out of touch people in power and at work in the nbn, or the people that don't care enough.

Last edited:

That makes nbn even worse then
That it does. A network with a theoretical maximum of 100mbps (that a small percentage will ever get close to thanks to FTTN), and that some people still don't even have access to, when some countries are already on gigabit. Just shows how far in the dark ages we are.

They should have went with fiber. They chose chopper wire instead to be cheap short term only for roll out to balloon cost out further than the fiber cost and not secure Australias future.

*******s looking for excuses instead of blaming the out of touch people in power and at work in the nbn, or the people that don't care enough.
Being out of touch may have something to do with it, but I think the interests of the corporate figures who the government are in bed with and influenced by that hurt the chances of a full fiber high-speed network in the country most significantly.

Can somebody explain why 1mb up is insufficient for let's say 90% of the population?
because when you have four people all browsing the web and streaming that 1MB up fills up real quick

we got bumped to 5MB up and it's noticeable how much snappier everything is when more than one person is online not to mention that I can upload logs to work quicker

not fast but quicker

because when you have four people all browsing the web and streaming that 1MB up fills up real quick

we got bumped to 5MB up and it's noticeable how much snappier everything is when more than one person is online not to mention that I can upload logs to work quicker

not fast but quicker

The real question is why do they even need to differentiate between up and down, why is the up speed so much slower than down.

The real question is why do they even need to differentiate between up and down, why is the up speed so much slower than down.
businesses can't run on home plans because they limit upload, they can then charge more for symmetric connections to businesses, or asymmetric with higher upload if the customer needs it

from a technology point of view something like FTTP has the ability to provide full bandwidth in both directions at the same time, not every technology does

so if they have say 100MB to carve up between up and down, well most home users want more down than up so thats what they do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

businesses can't run on home plans because they limit upload, they can then charge more for symmetric connections to businesses, or asymmetric with higher upload if the customer needs it

from a technology point of view something like FTTP has the ability to provide full bandwidth in both directions at the same time, not every technology does

so if they have say 100MB to carve up between up and down, well most home users want more down than up so thats what they do

I always thought it had something to do with stopping people running servers from home on their home plans.

It's a DSL legacy, most modems are designed to be asymmetric.

But it mostly down to TelCo's/ISP's cutting costs and maximizing profit.

This.
I bet 100% of residential bitching about NBN is from idiots using the cheapest ISP they can find.
nah some of them just won s**t lotto as far as tech and their location

but yeah half the problem is the retailer you get plays a part in performance not just price and service

last time i checked picking a budget power retailer didn't mean you had black outs during peak usage times, the whole model of the NBN is just hands down s**t

This.
I bet 100% of residential bitching about NBN is from idiots using the cheapest ISP they can find.

NBN infrastructure is down to the liberals butchering it and spending 11 billion on copper as a political ploy.

Though to be fair ALP bungled it as well with far too much wireless and and a ridiculous wholesale price model

nah some of them just won s**t lotto as far as tech and their location

but yeah half the problem is the retailer you get plays a part in performance not just price and service

last time i checked picking a budget power retailer didn't mean you had black outs during peak usage times, the whole model of the NBN is just hands down s**t
Yeah. There are so many factors in a residential usage scenario that affect performance but it just gets lumped into NBN is s**t.
Like:
s**t retailer.
s**t router.
s**t wifi.
Underspec access points (old PC, cheap tablets etc)
Presence of Malware or Trojans from dodgy pr0n links.
Even browsing poorly designed or cheaply hosted websites would not be improved one iota by having a 100/100 connection.

Don't get me wrong, yeah our NBN is not ideal. But I just take all the negativity with a grain of salt.

My brother had a s**t retailer and his evening speeds were pretty much dual up. By only changing the retailer and no hardware changes he now gets 44/17 on a 50/20 plan.

I could concurrently stream 1080 Netflix on 2 TVs and have 2 1080 YouTubes playing on mobile devices fine on my old 22/1 cable. I would categorise that as heavy use.

There's a large amount of expectation vs reality disappointment at play as well I reckon.

Last edited:
Yeah. There are so many factors in a residential usage scenario that affect performance but it just gets lumped into NBN is s**t.
Like:
s**t retailer.
s**t router.
s**t wifi.
Underspec access points (old PC, cheap tablets etc)
Even browsing poorly designed or cheaply hosted websites would not be improved one iota by having a 100/100 connection.

Don't get me wrong, yeah our NBN is not ideal. But I just take all the negativity with a grain of salt.

My brother had a s**t retailer and his evening speeds were pretty much dual up. By only changing the retailer and no hardware changes he now gets 44/17 on a 50/20 plan.

I could concurrently stream 1080 Netflix on 2 TVs and have 2 1080 YouTubes playing on mobile devices fine on my old 22/1 cable. I would categorise that as heavy use.

There's a large amount of expectation vs reality disappointment at play as well I reckon.
if you are on FTTP there is absolutely no reason you should have congestion unless the entire network is overloaded, yet users can because of the NBN wholesale model

if you are on fixed wireless then congestion can be local to your FW access point which you have no control over no matter who you are with

FTTN can perform just like ADSL including drop outs when it rains, again nothing to do with the retailer

NBN has to take some responsibility for the congestion issues though, they set up the pricing model which encouraged retailers to under subscribe

if you are on FTTP there is absolutely no reason you should have congestion unless the entire network is overloaded, yet users can because of the NBN wholesale model

Yep the CVC pricing model was the ALP's idea and Liberals kept it.

They've modeled the NBN for a return on investment double to what the average infrastructure project is. So NBN charges like a wounded bull for wholesale and the ISP's don't buy enough bandwidth for peak usage times to reduce cost.

What happens when a big infrastructure project becomes a political hot potato.

Steam download stats for the past week

Antarctica Total Bytes: 19.4 GB Average Download Rate: 25.8 Mbps
Australia Total Bytes: 6.3 PB Average Download Rate: 16.6 Mbps

Antarctica officially has better internet than we do :p

Streaming like netflix a hell of alot worse. The network is shite, and we've got the Abbott government and the numpites who voted him in to thank for it

That why you rather Download Videos because Too Much Buffering

if you are on fixed wireless then congestion can be local to your FW access point which you have no control over no matter who you are with

FTTN can perform just like ADSL including drop outs when it rains, again nothing to do with the retailer

NBN has to take some responsibility for the congestion issues though, they set up the pricing model which encouraged retailers to under subscribe

FTTN is a Joke. Don't why they even bother with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back