News NBN Chief Blames Gamers for the NBN being s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

what do you usually get when downloading / updating a game?

My internet plan is 25/5, on the opticomm fibre and if i do a wifi test on my phone or a speed test on my laptop im usually hitting 20's or higher with ease.

but it is only ever on the PSN and even XBOX console download speeds are extremley low and i dont know if i can fix it.

I am on 50/10 with TPG last game I installed on the xbone the other day wasn't that bad not as quick as steam but it wasn't horrible. Steam flies along did a 20gig patch the other day in 55 minutes and thats running a cable from a wifi range extender to the pc.

Have you tried running a cable to the console and see if your wifi is the problem?

I am on 50/10 with TPG last game I installed on the xbone the other day wasn't that bad not as quick as steam but it wasn't horrible. Steam flies along did a 20gig patch the other day in 55 minutes and thats running a cable from a wifi range extender to the pc.

Have you tried running a cable to the console and see if your wifi is the problem?
the console is already run via cable.

i have even got it direct into the wall instead of it going into a router. so it is as close as being plugged directly into the modem as it can possibly be :(

what do you usually get when downloading / updating a game?

My internet plan is 25/5, on the opticomm fibre and if i do a wifi test on my phone or a speed test on my laptop im usually hitting 20's or higher with ease.

but it is only ever on the PSN and even XBOX console download speeds are extremley low and i dont know if i can fix it.

I've never checked, I have the My Republic Gamer 100 plan or whatever it is called.

I'll add though, if I'm not on the PS4 things will download super fast, God Of War would have taken maybe 20 minutes.

I've been on Telstra cable for years and never had a drama and I've always got my solid 32/1. My area had an NBN rollout late last year but was postponed after the issues surrounding HFC NBN. They kicked it off again in February but I haven't moved over yet because we plan on moving house this year and I've noticed I'm getting NBN speeds anyway since lol. Just did a speedtest then to a few different Melbourne servers and I'm rocking 47/5. Come at me NBN.
Interesting. My Telstra cable has always been around 22/1 with 20ms ping. NBN rollout is currently underway in my street and nearing completion. Got an SMS from Telstra to notify me they upgraded my cable connection, did a speedtest and now at 36/5 with 12ms ping... Dunno if I'll bother changing!

Interesting. My Telstra cable has always been around 22/1 with 20ms ping. NBN rollout is currently underway in my street and nearing completion. Got an SMS from Telstra to notify me they upgraded my cable connection, did a speedtest and now at 36/5 with 12ms ping... Dunno if I'll bother changing!

I wouldn't until they force you to

If you do change (or when they force you) I reckon ask for the speed boost for free otherwise you'll leave. Why should you get stuck on the standard 25/5 which is less than what you're getting now for the same price?

If you do change (or when they force you) I reckon ask for the speed boost for free otherwise you'll leave. Why should you get stuck on the standard 25/5 which is less than what you're getting now for the same price?

Lol i tried that and they were like ok bye. So i left

Lol i tried that and they were like ok bye. So i left

I asked the question at a Telstra shop last year because I found it a bit stiff to be forced onto a slower speed unless I pay more money and that's actually what the guy in the shop told me to. To quote him, "I would argue the s**t out of it".

I asked the question at a Telstra shop last year because I found it a bit stiff to be forced onto a slower speed unless I pay more money and that's actually what the guy in the shop told me to. To quote him, "I would argue the s**t out of it".

I got a faster speed for less elsewhere didn't bother me in the end, just weird considering the fact that it is much easier to keep a current customer than it is to entice new customers and they would let a customer walk so easily.

I got a faster speed for less elsewhere didn't bother me in the end, just weird considering the fact that it is much easier to keep a current customer than it is to entice new customers and they would let a customer walk so easily.

If I wasn’t so tied to my BigPond email addresses I’d just walk too :(

yeah telstra "upgraded" everyone quietly months ago all you had to do was reboot your modem and you'd get up to 60/5 depending on the time of day, assuming you weren't paying for speed boost

that 5 up is so much better for overall performance than the 1 was, the advantage of NBN really is higher up more than down if you are on cable currently, got to wait a couple more years for that option though at my place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

34386012_10155605696718527_5787767081910927360_n.jpg

Stolen from my good bud NSWCROW

how do you get tied to your bigpond address?

I’ve had two mailboxes for about 7 or 8 years, one professional and the other for whatever services and it would be a pain to change everything over to a new email. I was previously with iiNet and the same thing happened. I knew I was changing provider, updated everything but of course forgot a few things and it was an absolute pain to chase. A bit hard to confirm an email change on some things when they send a confirmation email to the existing address that no longer exists.

I know Telstra have a subscribed email service thing for mailboxes without a broadband service but it’s more an inconvenience thing. Kind of like changing phone numbers.

I’ve had two mailboxes for about 7 or 8 years, one professional and the other for whatever services and it would be a pain to change everything over to a new email. I was previously with iiNet and the same thing happened. I knew I was changing provider, updated everything but of course forgot a few things and it was an absolute pain to chase. A bit hard to confirm an email change on some things when they send a confirmation email to the existing address that no longer exists.

I know Telstra have a subscribed email service thing for mailboxes without a broadband service but it’s more an inconvenience thing. Kind of like changing phone numbers.
upload_2018-6-7_10-18-38.png

Every time I’ve ever had a free email service it starts getting spammed in 12 months and I don’t even subscribe to things.
isn't that what email is for :D

isn't that what email is for :D

I blame Blizzard for half of it! I have a disposable outlook.net email just for battle net. When I used to play heaps of WoW every new address would start getting ‘account violation’ phishing emails within a year. Since they changed over to the battle net stuff it seems ok, that email is still clean. All I know is in the entire time I started using my provided ISP emails I’ve never received any sort of spam or phishing mail. I guess I could still move everything but right now it’s something I really don’t want to be bothered with :D.

I had Telstra cable and I was getting at least 60mbps with 15 ping. The best results I was getting close to 100 mbps

When the NBN came Telstra made me upgrade and now I pay slightly more for guaranteed 80/30 but I mostly get close to 100/40 with 12 ping. Because apparently they can't legally offer 100 over 40 anymore.

I blame Blizzard for half of it! I have a disposable outlook.net email just for battle net. When I used to play heaps of WoW every new address would start getting ‘account violation’ phishing emails within a year. Since they changed over to the battle net stuff it seems ok, that email is still clean. All I know is in the entire time I started using my provided ISP emails I’ve never received any sort of spam or phishing mail. I guess I could still move everything but right now it’s something I really don’t want to be bothered with :D.
yeah I had a yahoo address for a very long time, it got progressively less secure though so I moved on
had a lot of subscribed type junk mail but not actual spam

gmail has been pretty rock solid for me and you can have more than one gmail account plus you can do email+word on sites let you to see if they pass your details on to mailing lists

i got rid of using my ISP for email for portability long ago, I don't want to lose my email is a bad reason to stay with in ISP, at least with something like GMAIL you can start moving stuff across before you leave if you are planning on leaving

I had Telstra cable and I was getting at least 60mbps with 15 ping. The best results I was getting close to 100 mbps

When the NBN came Telstra made me upgrade and now I pay slightly more for guaranteed 80/30 but I mostly get close to 100/40 with 12 ping. Because apparently they can't legally offer 100 over 40 anymore.

yeah they are worried about the ACCC getting them for false advertising, they aren't meant to publish wholesale speeds but what the end user will get

yeah I had a yahoo address for a very long time, it got progressively less secure though so I moved on
had a lot of subscribed type junk mail but not actual spam

gmail has been pretty rock solid for me and you can have more than one gmail account plus you can do email+word on sites let you to see if they pass your details on to mailing lists

i got rid of using my ISP for email for portability long ago, I don't want to lose my email is a bad reason to stay with in ISP, at least with something like GMAIL you can start moving stuff across before you leave if you are planning on leaving

Thanks for the info, might look at starting to move some stuff over eventually. I’ve been happy with Telstra cable but thought their NBN plans left a lot to be desired, I’d rather pay someone like iiNet for an upto 100 mbps that I may or may not get than paying the same for a locked, lower speed. As trivial as it sounds it’s my situation with the emails not being portable as you said which has held me back. I probably should look at getting something set up so that I can slowly migrate in the case I do ever decide to ditch Telstra. I still like my professional one on an ISP email though. It’s one that I hardly give out but when I have to myfullname@isp looks more professional than a username@afreeservice.

Anyone remember that unaccountable campaigner head of Connex, which lost its tender to Metro, who runs Melb’s train network? His name was Jonathan Metcalfe. Absolute moron.

This guy, Bill Morrow, is the same.

Will not, cannot, last in this job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back