NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

It was none other than Malcolm Turnbull who took over the NBN rollout. Just like the Republic Campaign that he also ran, Malcolm ****ed it up. Australians can get super quick NBN provided they are prepared to pay for it. Under the present pricing most starter NBN plans are rated at 12Mbps are not much faster than ADSL2.

For my sins I am with Telstra and the one thing they do is include 25Mbps in bog standard plans. Most other telcos quote 12Mbps in their starter plans and if you want faster you pay. Most companies will rave on about limitless downloads, which will suit some people but those of us who do not download movies etc will get by with far less. The trick is to find a deal that gives you the amount of download you need not the amount that the telcos waffle on with. With Bigpond I get 200Gb a month @ 25Mbps and pay around $49.99. I can get a similar download capacity from inet but can only get 12Mbps.

It was none other than Malcolm Turnbull who took over the NBN rollout. Just like the Republic Campaign that he also ran, Malcolm ****** it up. Australians can get super quick NBN provided they are prepared to pay for it. Under the present pricing most starter NBN plans are rated at 12Mbps are not much faster than ADSL2.

For my sins I am with Telstra and the one thing they do is include 25Mbps in bog standard plans. Most other telcos quote 12Mbps in their starter plans and if you want faster you pay. Most companies will rave on about limitless downloads, which will suit some people but those of us who do not download movies etc will get by with far less. The trick is to find a deal that gives you the amount of download you need not the amount that the telcos waffle on with. With Bigpond I get 200Gb a month @ 25Mbps and pay around $49.99. I can get a similar download capacity from inet but can only get 12Mbps.

At 12mbps is slower or equal to ADSL

Just a couple of questions and I think most have been answered but the main one

They are currently laying FTTN past my place and I assume it will be ready to go in 3 months? I had thought my distance from the exchange may have been an issue but some early posts suggest its the node.

Now I can accept FTTN and look at the 25 plan (get 12 etc) and live with that ( better than 4 currently) but can I spend around $1000 and get the FTTP box put in utilizing the FTTN line running past?

Now I can accept FTTN and look at the 25 plan (get 12 etc) and live with that ( better than 4 currently) but can I spend around $1000 and get the FTTP box put in utilizing the FTTN line running past?
They would have to run fibre from the exchange to your home. People have had quotes on Whirlpool as high as 20-30k. Not worth it.

I was finally connected to NBN FTTN a week ago. I get 70Mbps down and 30Mbps up (tho according to my router my max download rate is 99Mbps, I dont know why I'm only getting 70 down). Much better than my 8Mbps ADSL2+. Had massive teething problems on peak (was getting the aforementioned speeds off peak but peak speeds dropped to the same as I was on ADSL2+) which have been fixed by Skymesh couple days ago. I can actually watch Netflix and HD youtube now! :D

I'd happily mow Malcolm down with a truck for this debacle.

Lib voters are at fault for this. Own your mess you bozos.

As an IT consultant, the NBN, and HFC in particular, are making my life a misery.

What a complete and utter botch-job.

Yeah, let's connect fibre to copper and she'll be right! Heaps cheaper, just as fast, much quicker!

What a complete load of bollocks. It was a lie from the beginning and anybody that couldn't see it is a flog. This is beyond criminal.

Last edited:
It seems the NBN frequently falls short of promised speeds. Doesn't arrive in my area until next year, but I was recently advised by someone working for a major telco to stick with cable if I'm happy with it.

And yeah, the Libs have botched this.

It seems the NBN frequently falls short of promised speeds. Doesn't arrive in my area until next year, but I was recently advised by someone working for a major telco to stick with cable if I'm happy with it.

And yeah, the Libs have botched this.

Not sure I'd agree with that advice.

Everyone gets so hung up on download speed that they forget about why NBN is superior (even if it's been botched) to cable and ADSL.

Upload speeds.

With ADSL and cable, your upload speeds are usually restricted to a max of 1 Mbps, and then if you do start to upload anything it will bring your download speed down to a grinding halt until the uploading is completed.

NBN solves this problem. Even if you're not getting the advertised download speed you're still better off on NBN simply because having the additional upload bandwidth is going to make your connection far better regardless.

Also keep in mind that it's very hard to find anything to download at more than about 2 Mbps as you're always at the mercy of the speed of the other end of the connection. So getting 100 Mbps is mostly useless.

Last edited:
Think I was in one of the last areas to get FTTP.

******* awesome. I pity anyone who missed out as previously I was in a place with ratshit copper.
I'm still in a place with ratshit copper. We get FTTN at then end of 2019 (which is a year's improvement, so I expect it to get pushed out again; 2022 is my best guess).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's better than what you have currently got. You will love it.
If you are having hassles with your current isp change isp's.

I am with Optus for ADSL. Can I change it for the NBN?

If you are getting letters that is done by scammers. Report that to scamwatch.gov.au

Okay. I have not but I just heard that TPG is the Only ISP that Does it in Australia

I looked it up on google. Put in tpg scam and it comes up with it.

TPG Did buy out IINET and IINET not been as good since especially there Customer Service

Remove this Banner Ad

Back