NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Really not looking forward to NBN.

Currently getting 37mpbs through cable.

Get the feeling my speed will be downgraded with this half assed NBN infrastructure being installed.
If you have cable you can get the same speeds as NBN in most cases. I have cable internet with a speed boost applied (got it at half price at $10 a month with some bargaining) and have a 100/2 connection.

Telstra sent me a letter about 6 months ago saying that my cable internet would be switched off within 18 months and I had to transition to NBN. No problem, but when I called and asked, I was told I would have to move to a new NBN bundle which would actually cost me more money for just the baseline NBN speed - 20/10 or something like that. Being the complete horseshit it was, I declined and said I would shop around.

If you are on cable, the NBN connection you will have is likely HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coax) where they make use of the cable you already have, effectively (I believe) making your internet fibre-to-the-premises. Unfortunately, not a lot of providers are doing HFC connections for whatever reason - most likely contractual ownership of lines or some other bullshit.

Just had a win though - received another letter from Telstra stating that we could now switch to NBN on the same plan. The rep has just confirmed for me that we continue to pay the same amount for the same speed (except my upload speed goes from 2mbps to the NBN standard 40mbps) on the same bundle. Happy days.

If you have cable you can get the same speeds as NBN in most cases. I have cable internet with a speed boost applied (got it at half price at $10 a month with some bargaining) and have a 100/2 connection.

Telstra sent me a letter about 6 months ago saying that my cable internet would be switched off within 18 months and I had to transition to NBN. No problem, but when I called and asked, I was told I would have to move to a new NBN bundle which would actually cost me more money for just the baseline NBN speed - 20/10 or something like that. Being the complete horseshit it was, I declined and said I would shop around.

If you are on cable, the NBN connection you will have is likely HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coax) where they make use of the cable you already have, effectively (I believe) making your internet fibre-to-the-premises. Unfortunately, not a lot of providers are doing HFC connections for whatever reason - most likely contractual ownership of lines or some other bullshit.

Just had a win though - received another letter from Telstra stating that we could now switch to NBN on the same plan. The rep has just confirmed for me that we continue to pay the same amount for the same speed (except my upload speed goes from 2mbps to the NBN standard 40mbps) on the same bundle. Happy days.

Finally a good news story with nbn.

Maybe there is a glimmer of hope!

I have the same connection and speed as you, also with Telstra. I received a letter in the mail a couple months ago, stating they will be switching my connection to NBN HFC once installed (I think mine takes place between OCT-DEC) at the same plan for no additional cost and they would let me know when prior to connecting (Currently on the Telstra and Foxtel bundle of $99/month). I just hope it won't be worse because my internet has been flawless for the past 2 years without any interruptions in service.

Torrents Slower on NBN then on ADSL

Just Connected to Optus NBN today and when I download Torrents it goes not Faster then 300kbps and when I was on ADSL I could get up to 1mbps.

So is there a way to FIx This Problem or is another thing that make the NBN Crap?

Torrents Slower on NBN then on ADSL

Just Connected to Optus NBN today and when I download Torrents it goes not Faster then 300kbps and when I was on ADSL I could get up to 1mbps.

So is there a way to FIx This Problem or is another thing that make the NBN Crap?

Torrents are not a good test, they can vary based on the seed you downloading from.

What speed are you getting from www.speedtest.net?

Torrents are not a good test, they can vary based on the seed you downloading from.

What speed are you getting from www.speedtest.net?

Speed Test for the Connect Mac I am downloading is around 18-22mbps

I actually found out that my Sisters Twins where Watching The Wiggles and when they turned that Off the Downloads when up over 1mbps. Did happen for a While this Evening and the VPN fixed that one

Has Dropped out at least once every day I have had it so far

Try using it at an off-peak time.

ISPs, and I've heard Telstra is one of the worst for this, do not buy enough bandwidth to service all their customers due the very high costs that NBN Co is forced to charge. Consequently, instead of buying 25 mbs for each 25 mbs customer, they may buy 1 mbs. When its off-peak, the customers get a good download speed but when everybody tries to use it, there isn't sufficient bandwidth top service everybody.

It sucks but it won't change unless the government stops requiring NBN Co to pay back the money invested in building the network or people are prepared to pay significantly more for the same internet they had before. In spite of absurd promises made when it was being started, we were never going to get something for nothing. Every dollar invested in building what we now have has to be paid back and thats on top of the normal costs of running the network

Got the NBN coming out on Wednesday how long does it take to install it ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try using it at an off-peak time.

ISPs, and I've heard Telstra is one of the worst for this, do not buy enough bandwidth to service all their customers due the very high costs that NBN Co is forced to charge. Consequently, instead of buying 25 mbs for each 25 mbs customer, they may buy 1 mbs. When its off-peak, the customers get a good download speed but when everybody tries to use it, there isn't sufficient bandwidth top service everybody.

It sucks but it won't change unless the government stops requiring NBN Co to pay back the money invested in building the network or people are prepared to pay significantly more for the same internet they had before. In spite of absurd promises made when it was being started, we were never going to get something for nothing. Every dollar invested in building what we now have has to be paid back and thats on top of the normal costs of running the network
Telstra is one of the worst retailers of the NBN. Over priced, and poor performed.
Last time I saw the average download speeds for Netflix they had Telstra down the bottom. Optus was the best along with TPG.

Telstra is one of the worst retailers of the NBN. Over priced, and poor performed.
Last time I saw the average download speeds for Netflix they had Telstra down the bottom. Optus was the best along with TPG.

Agreed on Telstra. I won't deal with them because they overcharge and underperform.

I haven't seen any list of good and companies, so any idea where Skymesh comes in? A bunch at work use them and swear by them...not at them like i used to do with Telstra

Its intersting looking at the future pathways for higher speeds with the Nbn.
With Fibre, thats a obvious one. In the lab they have managed to do a petabyte per second with fibre.

With HFC cable upgrading to the future DOCSIS 3.1 standard HFC cable is capable of 10gbs down and 1gbs up. Thats pretty good and there will be future upgrades over DOCSIS 3.1 going forward.

Fixed wireless looks healthy with the NBN already pulling 1.1gbs download on a trial in Vic using carrier aggregation. However in lab using 5g they have managed to get 1terrabyte per second download. So there is a good upgrade pathway for that.

Then even with the lesser FTTN there are good upgrade pathways.
First there is g.fast which can get 1gbs in lab trials and then there is the further improvement of xg.fast which has been doing up to 10gbs download. Then on top of this is the newest tech of TDSL. This stands for terabyte dsl and it is expected that it can do 10-1000gbs over copper lines. And before you think its pie in the sky, the guy that invented it is the same guy who invented adsl.and adsl2.

Agreed on Telstra. I won't deal with them because they overcharge and underperform.

I haven't seen any list of good and companies, so any idea where Skymesh comes in? A bunch at work use them and swear by them...not at them like i used to do with Telstra
ISP LEADERBOARD - JULY 2017
RANKISPSPEED Mbps
1Optus3.59
2Exetel3.52
3TPG3.47
4iiNet3.41
5Dodo/iPrimus3.38
6Telstra2.76

Skymesh might be too small to get mentioned on the netflix rankings.
Skymesh dont have good data allowances. Even when they say 2.2 terabyte only 200 gig is during peak and the 2 terabyte is off peak.
This is their way to limit congestion, rather than increase their cvc.

Last edited:
RANKISPSPEED Mbps
1Optus3.59
2Exetel3.52
3TPG3.47
4iiNet3.41
5Dodo/iPrimus3.38
6Telstra2.76

Skymesh dont have good data allowances. Even when they say 2.2 terabyte only 200 gig is during peak and the 2 terabyte is off peak.

Ok good to know. The guys at work are all pretty happy though.

I'm with IINet right now. I might stay with them when / if the NBN ever gets past the plumbing supply joints and gets to our house

Ok good to know. The guys at work are all pretty happy though.

I'm with IINet right now. I might stay with them when / if the NBN ever gets past the plumbing supply joints and gets to our house
It really is quite annoying the way the NBN is set up. The companies buy CVC for all the different areas. So one company might be over subscribed for the bandwidth they have bought from the NBN, while another in the same area has less customers for their cvc. But in another area it could be totally the other way round. You might just have to try a few to get the best one.
My republic is the cheapest, so try them first. They only offer the highest speed plan and sell it for what the other sell their slower plans for. If its good you win.

Hey guys. I've just moved into a house and we are able to get the nbn connected. Which is great. I'm just after your opinion on it? Like the best price and packages. I'm in Melbourne. Living in eltham. If that helps. Budget is about 85 per month.

RANKISPSPEED Mbps
1Optus3.59
2Exetel3.52
3TPG3.47
4iiNet3.41
5Dodo/iPrimus3.38
6Telstra2.76

That looks like ADSL speeds. Are you sure it's got anything to do with nbn?

Telstra has a very good reputation for nbn performance but its pricey.

I got an awesome custom plan from Skymesh (they matched a dodo plan) and have been happy with them.

If I was getting a new nbn connection today I'd probably go with Aussie broadband.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

That looks like ADSL speeds. Are you sure it's got anything to do with nbn?

Telstra has a very good reputation for nbn performance but its pricey.

I got an awesome custom plan from Skymesh (they matched a dodo plan) and have been happy with them.

If I was getting a new nbn connection today I'd probably go with Aussie broadband.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Thats just Netflixs download stats per ISP.
No doubt its a mix of ADSL and NBN.
It does show that speed wise Telstra isnt a good as they would want you to believe.

Most standard NBN plans are offering speeds around 12Mbps which isn't much, if any, quicker than ADSL2. If you want the superfast speeds you will pay for it. To me this is a con and not what we were promised. To get the 100Mbps speeds you will probably pay around $30 a month extra.

I have had NBN @ 25Mbps for three years now and I have not noticed it to be any faster than the ADSL2+ connection I had previously.

I use Telstra because I can bundle the NBN with Foxtel at a reasonable cost. I pay around $155 a month for NBN, home phone and FOXTEL with sports, drama and docos packs. I can get cheaper Broadband but by the time I add FOXTEL to the deal it works out to be more expensive. If I could get shot of Telstra I would.

The other big con is unlimited download capacity. They are really not giving you anything for the extra money and many people do not need it anyway. If you are into downloading movies and gaming it is probably worth the money but as I have Netflix and Stan as well as FOXTEL I do not need unlimited download. With many ISPs you cannot get the 100Mbps speed without purchasing an unlimited download bundle and of course you pay a premium for this combination.

One problem I have had with Telstra and the NBN Co is that if you have a problem they are prone to hand balling the problem. I had some connectivity issues about twelve months ago and when I rang Telstra Support they tested the connection but could not trace the problem. They then hand balled the problem to the NBN Co. for 'further testing'. While I was waiting for Telstra to get back to me I manually re set the Telstra DNS settings for SA and surprise, surprise this rectified the problem. I would have thought the Telstra support guy would have known to check the DNS default settings. I note from Telstra's Crowd Support page that there has been increased activity with customers asking for the Telstra DNS/IP address. It looks like I was not the only one experiencing difficulty.

Most standard NBN plans are offering speeds around 12Mbps which isn't much, if any, quicker than ADSL2. If you want the superfast speeds you will pay for it. To me this is a con and not what we were promised. To get the 100Mbps speeds you will probably pay around $30 a month extra.

I have had NBN @ 25Mbps for three years now and I have not noticed it to be any faster than the ADSL2+ connection I had previously.

I use Telstra because I can bundle the NBN with Foxtel at a reasonable cost. I pay around $155 a month for NBN, home phone and FOXTEL with sports, drama and docos packs. I can get cheaper Broadband but by the time I add FOXTEL to the deal it works out to be more expensive. If I could get shot of Telstra I would.

The other big con is unlimited download capacity. They are really not giving you anything for the extra money and many people do not need it anyway. If you are into downloading movies and gaming it is probably worth the money but as I have Netflix and Stan as well as FOXTEL I do not need unlimited download. With many ISPs you cannot get the 100Mbps speed without purchasing an unlimited download bundle and of course you pay a premium for this combination.

One problem I have had with Telstra and the NBN Co is that if you have a problem they are prone to hand balling the problem. I had some connectivity issues about twelve months ago and when I rang Telstra Support they tested the connection but could not trace the problem. They then hand balled the problem to the NBN Co. for 'further testing'. While I was waiting for Telstra to get back to me I manually re set the Telstra DNS settings for SA and surprise, surprise this rectified the problem. I would have thought the Telstra support guy would have known to check the DNS default settings. I note from Telstra's Crowd Support page that there has been increased activity with customers asking for the Telstra DNS/IP address. It looks like I was not the only one experiencing difficulty.

Running netflix and stan alone for any decent amount of time will chew through your data unless you are with someone that offers them outside your allowance and afaik no one offers both of them a heap of places only offer plans of 1gb 10gb 100gb or unlimited even the places that offer 500 we would go over that without even trying.

I'm paying $5 less per month for 25/5 than I was for ADSL and it's miles quicker than I was getting, sits around 23/24 90% of the time

I use foxtel go to stream the footy when it's not on FTA tv and with the ADSL you couldn't download and stream at the same time or it would get stuttery now I can do whatever and it works fine

Running netflix and stan alone for any decent amount of time will chew through your data unless you are with someone that offers them outside your allowance and afaik no one offers both of them a heap of places only offer plans of 1gb 10gb 100gb or unlimited even the places that offer 500 we would go over that without even trying.

I'm paying $5 less per month for 25/5 than I was for ADSL and it's miles quicker than I was getting, sits around 23/24 90% of the time

I use foxtel go to stream the footy when it's not on FTA tv and with the ADSL you couldn't download and stream at the same time or it would get stuttery now I can do whatever and it works fine
Agreed.
I was on Telstra ADSL 8000kbs unlimited through TPG on selling it. It was terrible. Max I ever got was 4000kbs and the copper lines were so bad the noise levels were crazy. Constant drop outs and when we would complain Telstra would just put a noise filter on the line and drop the speed down to 1500kbs to try and make the line stable. I would then complain the speed was s**t and they would take the filter off and try and increase the speed to 4000kbs to try and fix that. After any good rain the line would die and Telstra would have to come out and fix the joints and connections which got moisture in them. Endless trouble. For this I was paying $69.99 a month plus the $40 telstra phone line costing $110 per month.
I had the NBN connected a month ago through fixed wireless, on a 25Mbs unlimited plan. It costs the same as my old ADSL plan was, and I dont need a phone line now so im $40 a month better off, with a constant 22Mbs download speed regardless of peak time or not.
No drop outs, no noise, wonderful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back