NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to love Internode. Shame they were taken over by TPG, but they were still good when I was with them years ago. I moved house to someone who had iPrimus. Now that was a poor company. Spent an hour on the phone with someone with the tech skills of a 4-year-old. So, when moved house , I changed again and I went to MATE communications. Didn't have an issue for the first year. Good price and good customer service, so I kept with them when I moved house again.

Oh boy, this is where my fun starts. My current address is not listed on the NBN. It has been installed and it will work, but this address/house has the wrong unit numbers listed. I just have to give them the details of the NBN Box and match my unit number to this box. There is only 2 units and 2 boxes. That's it. A simple admin error which should be simple to fix. Surely

3 weeks later, I am still waiting. Mate are blaming the NBN Co. The NBN Co says MATE should sort this out. And I am getting increasingly frustrated with both of them. How can this process take this long? Thank god for Telstra Air, or else I would have no internet at all. When Telstra are making you look bad, then you have issues.

Last edited:
an NBN (if done properly) would be an amazing thing for Australia.

Unfortunately what we have is Copper network version 2. Which is the same thing we've been using for the past 100 years.

Yes, I'm aware of HFC Cable and the occasional FTTP, but good luck with getting a 1:1 contention rate with HFC.

I'm on FTTC, having been stuck on old ADSL for a long time. So I'm off a very low base.

I am however very happy.

My download speeds are pretty close to the 50Mbp/s i am paying for ( i.e. always over 45 ), with uploads solid also. When i first got it, stability was a dog, but it is improving. The stability could be due to my local exchange growing capacity as our suburb expands usage.

Apparently there is a backlog of connections in my area and Telstra have advised to delay rolling over but in the mean time have completely uncapped my cable. This actually peaked at 95mbps. Good to know as the NBN here is using the same HFC infrastructure so I know close to max speed is obtainable.

8322285786.png

I used to love Internode. Shame they were taken over by TPG, but they were still good when I was with them years ago. I moved house to someone who had iPrimus. Now that was a poor company. Spent an hour on the phone with someone with the tech skills of a 4-year-old. So, when moved house , I changed again and I went to MATE communications. Didn't have an issue for the first year. Good price and good customer service, so I kept with them when I moved house again.

Oh boy, this is where my fun starts. My current address is not listed on the NBN. It has been installed and it will work, but this address/house has the wrong unit numbers listed. I just have to give them the details of the NBN Box and match my unit number to this box. There is only 2 units and 2 boxes. That's it. A simple admin error which should be simple to fix. Surely

3 weeks later, I am still waiting. Mate are blaming the NBN Co. The NBN Co says MATE should sort this out. And I am getting increasingly frustrated with both of them. How can this process take this long? Thank god for Telstra Air, or else I would have no internet at all. When Telstra are making you look bad, then you have issues.

A small little update. They finally got me connected to the NBN a couple of Fridays ago. By that time, I guessed my address at a different company(Launtel) and got it right the 2nd time. After a small wait(NBN Co!!!!!), Launtel got it connected a couple of hours before Mate did and they had a free 7-day trial. So, I ignored Mate(and, boy they were persistent) for almost a week while I used up my free trial. Mate did say they wouldn't charge me until I got connected.

Good company Launtel and would recommend them if you want short term NBN. They charge $3.50/per day and free quick connection and disconnection fees. great if you are not home a lot........Mate are just cheaper sadly over the month.

The stupid thing about this whole process is that address is still wrong on the NBN database. What was the point of me waiting 3 weeks if the same issue will come up again once? Wish Mate had just guessed at the start, instead of going through this whole process and getting nowhere in the long run. And what is the point of this process for NBN if they don't fix the issue anyway. Just stupidity.

NBN said my street was ready a while ago. Many isps started the mail drop again to entice signups....

I ignored them as my plan is to wait until right before the old cable is due to be cut.

Got more nbn related mail over the last week that has said to hold off signing up to a provider while more work is being done. And Telstra sent an update saying the sign up process is delayed as they can't handle si many people trying to connect at once. In the mean time they have given another speed boost (I say another as they've sent info about giving it multiple times already so I'm already at maximum speed).

I'd be happy with retaining the connection as it is. I will probably have problem after problem with the nbn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got NBN installed which is FTTC. Went with Exetel, only a few days in but no issues.

Only took a week to get connected from my application which I was surprised by!

Getting around 44 mbps consistently. Beats the 4 to 8 that I was getting before!

It basically just sums up the whole NBN project. They have no idea.

NBN was fine until a certain political party decided to torpedo the whole project once they got into government. I hope the tax payer doesn't mind paying for all this copper infrastructure to be replaced (which it eventually will).

NBN was fine until a certain political party decided to torpedo the whole project once they got into government. I hope the tax payer doesn't mind paying for all this copper infrastructure to be replaced (which it eventually will).
All the money will have gone as stage 3 tax cuts it will need to come from pensioners health or education

I still havent hit 20 on my 25 plan hover around 17 18 no hope of 50 even if I prayed and paid here

Can anyone recommend me a good modem for NBN?

Will be used for gaming and streaming. I'm also looking for more range. The current modem is in the garage, and I plan on keeping it there. But the wifi doesn't reach the rear of the house. Current speed is around 95mbps.

Someone did suggest that I just purchase a wifi range extender but not sure how well they work?

8434579274.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back