NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

My cable connection is getting switched off in two months with the cut off to organise migration by that date in less than one. So after much delay I'm finally booked in for NBN at the end of the month. Glad I didn't go when the initial roll out happened as plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then and I'm getting Telstra's 100 unlimited for exactly what I'm paying now. Fingers crossed the issues have been ironed out and it's as reliable as my current connection.

Last edited:
My cable connection is getting switched off in two months with the cut off to organise migration by that date in less than one. So after much delay I'm finally booked in for NBN at the end of the month. Glad I didn't go when the initial roll out happened as plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then and I'm getting Telstra's 100 unlimited for exactly what I'm paying now. Fingers crossed the issues have been ironed out and it's as reliable as my current connection.
Went HFC when I moved house in July it's been flawless since.

Can highly recommend Superloop for performance and price.

Went HFC when I moved house in July it's been flawless since.

Can highly recommend Superloop for performance and price.

What sort of speeds are you getting? Telstra uncapped my cable for a while earlier in the year and I was hitting around 85/5 during peak. Of course won't know until it's up and running but I imagine it will be similar as it's on the same infrastructure. They must be pretty confident though as they're guaranteeing 80/35 minimum during peak and if not they'll discount it further. It's probably all subjective but i've had 0 dramas with Telstra in the 8 years I've been with them.

What sort of speeds are you getting? Telstra uncapped my cable for a while earlier in the year and I was hitting around 85/5 during peak. Of course won't know until it's up and running but I imagine it will be similar as it's on the same infrastructure. They must be pretty confident though as they're guaranteeing 80/35 minimum during peak and if not they'll discount it further. It's probably all subjective but i've had 0 dramas with Telstra in the 8 years I've been with them.
I'm on 50/20 and get rock solid 46/17 + speeds whenever I've checked. Superloop has a reputation for excellent ping times too. Look up the thread on whirlpool for far more detail and real world speed tests.

I'm on 50/20 and get rock solid 46/17 + speeds whenever I've checked. Superloop has a reputation for excellent ping times too. Look up the thread on whirlpool for far more detail and real world speed tests.

I had a bit of a look yesterday but it's about as useful as asking how long is a piece of string. Before and after is more informative due to congestion and the part from the premises to the node being the most important. I should be ok. I'm in an estate that was only built when we moved in so we're probably on our own node and patch of network going by my previous cable speeds over the lifetime.

Your Speed depends how close you are to the Node. Need to be within around 300 meters to get Full Speed. I am around 400-450 away I get.

Speed Speedtest.JPG

I am also on the 100mbps Package

Last edited:
I had a bit of a look yesterday but it's about as useful as asking how long is a piece of string. Before and after is more informative due to congestion and the part from the premises to the node being the most important. I should be ok. I'm in an estate that was only built when we moved in so we're probably on our own node and patch of network going by my previous cable speeds over the lifetime.
Are you getting FTTN or FTTC?

Not sure I'll need it. I'm on 4G and 4 of us can game, stream and surf simultaneously with no issues. What are people doing that actually needs speeds of 50-100mbos?

Mostly Downloading

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i get about half the speed promised. however after some reading, that could maybe improve if the cabling in the house were fixed up - that is at least, removing the wiring used in one of the extra old phone sockets which seem to slow the NBN down.

Bentleigh here - gone from an average of 3mbps to 40mbps with NBN. Pretty stoked - sucks that some are having issues, I finally have first world internet :)

Bentleigh here - gone from an average of 3mbps to 40mbps with NBN. Pretty stoked - sucks that some are having issues, I finally have first world internet :)
Bentleigh in Victoria?

I have a question, I use to have Optus cable and never ever once had issues with speeds and downloading/gaming on pc and ps4. About 8 weeks ago or whatever I was forced to go to the nbn and now it’s the biggest piece of s**t. I had to get wifi extenders in the house, and even then I struggle to play games and whatnot during peak times without suffering major lagg issues, it’s starting to really piss me off. Is there something I can do about it ?
I love Optus.. oh coz there’s a wall in your house between the modem and the divice that’s why it’s slow.... dude I live in a ******* house with walls!!!!

Cable would have been faster because there were far fewer people using that technology.

Its been a while since I've looked up which ISPs are good, but a Optus weren't a recommended provider about 1.5 years ago when I signed up to the NBN. They probably don't buy enough bandwidth for all their customers to hit max speeds in peak times

Best rated RSPs at the moment on Whirlpool are Superloop, Aussie Broadband and Future Broadband.

Superloop (who I'm with on HFC) great network, speed and ping time but expect to wait on the phone if you need support. Currently have $20 off for the first six months. No minimum contract required.

Aussie similar to Superloop but a bit more expensive and a bit better customer service. No minimum contract required.

Future a little more expensive and 12 months minimum contract but highly rated.
All three above have Australian support.
Telstra held in pretty high regard for performance but expensive and overseas based crap support.
Optus known to suffer congestion and poor support.

Steer clear of any of the TPG providers iinet, Internode etc. terrible overseas support and over priced.

Bentleigh in Victoria?

I have a question, I use to have Optus cable and never ever once had issues with speeds and downloading/gaming on pc and ps4. About 8 weeks ago or whatever I was forced to go to the nbn and now it’s the biggest piece of s**t. I had to get wifi extenders in the house, and even then I struggle to play games and whatnot during peak times without suffering major lagg issues, it’s starting to really piss me off. Is there something I can do about it ?
I love Optus.. oh coz there’s a wall in your house between the modem and the divice that’s why it’s slow.... dude I live in a ******* house with walls!!!!

Did they move where your connection was? Did you change routers?

Are you on FTTN, FTTP, FTTC, HFC?

Generally range extenders and wifi aren't good for gaming and can contribute to lag and poor performance. If you can look at Ethernet of Ethernet over Power and connect gaming consoles or PCs with a wired connection.

I had to get wifi extenders in the house

In theory NBN shouldn't affect your wireless LAN. Some house layouts don't play nice with wireless, but if it previously worked OK then another modern router should be OK also. I'd be inclined not to accept the "walls" explanation and tell them that your Wi-Fi was significantly better before the switch and ask if they can supply a better router (which they might not have).

Unless the speed you're getting via NBN is truly diabolical and slower than your old Wi-Fi...

Anyone know how to check coverage for 5G?

NBN not expected to reach my area until mid 2020.
Theres a map at the bottom

Had it installed today. Getting great speeds off the wifi but from my desktop it's capping at roughly 42/40. I've been 35mbps down on cable for so long that I haven't noticed if there are any gremlins in my setup. Have updated my motherboard network drivers and going to replace all of my network switch, powerline adaptors and ethernet cables and see if that fixes anything.

Wifi results. The only time I didn't get a solid 40 on the up.
Screenshot_20191128-171646_Speedtest.jpg

Just bought a new pair of powerline adaptors and new cat 5e cables. The Netgear PLP2000 adaptors have 2 ethernet ports so I've run one right into my PC and the first test is exactly what I wanted to see. Grabbed a new 8 port Netgear network switch for my PS4 and anything else so now to plug that into the adaptor's second port and try again. At least now I know if my speed drops I know the culprit.

Edit: yay new switch is fine. Expensive exercise but something obviously needed replacing

8804075747.png

Last edited:
Honestly can't complain at all about my NBN anymore.

Got installed roughly 6 months ago in one corner of the house, but after running an extra long ethernet cable from the modem to the middle of the house to put the router in a more central spot, haven't had any issues.

Speeds are good, don't get dropouts(Occasionally get a no internet error, but just switch from 5ghz network to 2.4 and back to fix) and for the most part can't see what all the fuss is about the NBN. Internet definitely has improved since NBN was installed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back