NCAA NCAA Re-Alignment

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like the majority of the Big East doesn't want Boise State, even as a football only member. (But I guess that's what happens when the majority are basketball members and want to cut what they think as dead weight (football) off)

Sounds like the football schools are really getting pissed off now, they know they need to expand to stay relevant, and some insignificant schools like Georgetown, St Johns, DePaul, Seton Hall and Notre Dame (yeah, I'm just taking the piss out of ya there on that one:p) are making life difficult for them

From what I last read, Big East wants 12, almost settled on 10 to shutup the basketball schools, but they realise they need 12 now (well, in the next 6-7 weeks) to hold onto AQ status from 2013 onwards

they need 6 schools from 9 on the table.

1. East Carolina
2. Central Florida
3. Houston
4. SMU
5. Navy
6. Air Force
7. Boise State
8. Villanova
9. Temple

Sounds like East Carolina has a no on them

6 from 8.

Sounds like there's colusion from Villanova (basketball member) and South Florida to halt Temple and Central Florida, in an effort to get Villanova in.

And the non-football schools don't want Boise State potentially opening it up for Temple and UCF. (probably Temple)

Football schools headed by Rutgers and West Virginia contemplating setting up a new conference and leaving DePaul, Marquette, Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Villanova behind because of bridges being burned.

Football doesn't like the Basketball schools dictating how to run their league.

It'd be like the Manchester United reserves coach telling the FA how to run the EPL. Just totally moronic because it doesn't really effect them.

Re: Possible Re-Alignment Discussion

On another note.

I wonder what would happen with the WAC-MWC if Boise State and Air Force left, and ditched their non-football sports in the WAC.

Hawai'i, Fresno State and Nevada would have a pretty tough choice on their hands.

Join Colorado State, New Mexico, UNLV, San Diego State and Wyoming
or stick with Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Utah State, UTSA and Texas State.

Whichever has the 3 would be better But think about the future. Hawai'i and Nevada would be going to Cal AND Texas once a year. That recruiting would be immensly beneficial to them!
ESPN (WAC) vs some 3rd rate CBS/NBC channel (MWC for another 4-6 years)

Football wise, I'd stay in the WAC if Boise State and Air Force ran for it.
But that basketball in UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego Staet and even Colorado State is tempting.

What about a merger?

Hawai'i x 1
California x 3
Nevada x 2
Colorado x 1
New Mexico x 2
Wyoming x 1
Idaho x 1
Louisiana x 1
Utah x 1
Texas x 2

Maybe add UTEP as a 16th team?
Go back to the 'pod' idea?

Pod 1 - Hawai'i + Cal schools
Pod 2 - New Mexico + Nevada schools
Pod 3 - Texas + Louisiana schools
Pod 4 - Colorado State, Wyoming, Utah State, Idaho

Re: Possible Re-Alignment Discussion

Looks as if the MWC and C-USA are going to merge in Football, to see if they can get an AQ bid. This has been proposed by media for a while. Not sure if they will get the bid but we'll see. Will be a two division conference (i presume no interdivision play) with a championship game. Currently 22 teams but after a big east raid that may come down to a more manageable number.

Re: NCAA Re-Alignment Discussion

And now about 25% of the schools in that merger have invites to the Big East :p

UCF, Houston and SMU have invites as full members
Air Force and Boise State as football only

UCF is 1 group
Houston, SMU, Air Force AND Boise State all have to accept their invites for the big East to increase the $5M buyout to $10M.

Soudns like UCF, houston and SMU are over in a heartbeat

Boise State is searching for a home for their other sports. Air Force would have to do that, but they're unsure on whether to move up full stop.

Talk now that Missouri is going to the SEC (from the NYT), Big 12 probably hopes if they do so they do so fast so they can raid the Big East and MWC before everybody jumps (assuming they do) and exit fees go up. Even with BYU the Big 12 is probably strong enough to stay a AQ conference at 10 schools, though I doubt they want to be the only conference without a title game, and i doubt they want to scrape the barrel for C-USA or MWC seconds (fine schools but not Boise standard when it comes to football).
Hey Dirty Bird any idea who they might take to get to 12, assuming they don't raid the Big East, and Big East gets it's 12.

If they go to 12 and dont touch the Big East it would be BYU, and probably Houston + SMU

Maybe BYU and Boise State + AIr Force.

It wont happen. They need to raide Big East now.

Better chances at sticking at 10.

COnvincing Louisville to come in and pay $10M, while having to wait till the 2015 season or so is just too long to get them.

Probably get BYU to stay at 10, and sit there for a few years.

If they go to 12 and dont touch the Big East it would be BYU, and probably Houston + SMU

Maybe BYU and Boise State + AIr Force.

It wont happen. They need to raide Big East now.

Better chances at sticking at 10.

COnvincing Louisville to come in and pay $10M, while having to wait till the 2015 season or so is just too long to get them.

Probably get BYU to stay at 10, and sit there for a few years.
Yeah i think thats probably the most logical thing to do, if the Big East does get SMU and Houston Boise and Airforce, I think any chance of getting West Virginia or Louisville to leave is gone, Only school that would leave that is UConn, and thats only because it wants ACC bad.

Would always love Notre Dame to come to the Big 10. They sit right in the middle of our conference and have rivalries with most of our teams. But they love their NBC TV deal and other rivalries with USC and Navy so doubt they will ever relocate..:(

Would always love Notre Dame to come to the Big 10. They sit right in the middle of our conference and have rivalries with most of our teams. But they love their NBC TV deal and other rivalries with USC and Navy so doubt they will ever relocate..:(

I'd much rather the Irish in Big Ten, it is logical to me, but a lot of talk now says if they have to jump it will be to the ACC. May be a ploy so the irish keep all their rivalries and get a very favourable deal.

Big night for the Big East, maybe explains why conference commissioner won't meet with C-USA and MWC counterparts.

Boise St had a meeting with Big East officials on Sunday. Only thing stopping them jumping is uncertainty on BCS (only reason they would jump too).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big East is ONLY merging if Missouri leaves, the Big 12 takes Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati, AND the others teams don't come over.

If all that occurs, we get this cluster **** of a conference.

Won't happen though.

Big East is pretty close to expanding.

Missouri doesn't have enough votes in the SEC (BigTen is just laughing at them) so it'll take a while for that to occur too.

If I were the Big XII I'd go BYU (Mormon base) Boise State (get everyone watching on TV hoping they fail). And if Missouri leaves, grab San Diego State as a **** you to the Pac-12 and grabbing someone right in the heart of their footprint, opening up the South Cal recruiting hotspot to the Big XII more.

ps - From what I've heard, West Virginia will only leave for the SEC. They want a strong football and basketball. The football upgrade isn't big enough in the Big XII to make amends for the basketball downgrade.

SEC website screwed up and welcomes Missouri. West Virginia are jumping to the Big 12 and intend to play there next year despite expecting the Big East to enforce the 27 month rule (don't know how) (whoever came up with that rule must be thanked because it is buying them heaps of time)

Big 10 is the mid-west conference so it would make sense from a geographic perspective.

Big East has sent invitations out today, but the Big East commisssioner didn't say who is getting them.

Idaho's board of education meeting on Thursday, so we should know then.

I've heard that Boise State is the key to all this, so the Big East needs them to accept first, but the problem is, we'll only accept if Air Force is definantly going.

With WVU going to the Big XII the Big East has had to find another member.

Media reports saying an announcement is expected before Saturday, maybe as early as Thursday.

Expected new Big East

East

Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Navy

West

Boise State, Air Force, Central Florida, SMU, Houston, BYU

With WVU going to the Big XII the Big East has had to find another member.

Media reports saying an announcement is expected before Saturday, maybe as early as Thursday.

Expected new Big East

East

Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Navy

West

Boise State, Air Force, Central Florida, SMU, Houston, BYU
As a Boise fan I'm thankful that we finally are going to be in an automatic BCS Conference. And to be honest, those 12 teams look stronger than the ACC does from Top to Bottom. From a Big East point of view losing West Virginia was bad, but adding the combination of Houston, SMU, Boise and BYU just made this conference the best its been since Miami and Virginia Tech left in 2003.

All I can hope for now is conference realignment stability. The SEC and ACC seem to be happy at 14 teams, and the Big East, Pac-12, and Big Ten seem to be happy at 12 teams. The Big 12 says they're happy at 10 for now, but I think they're not going to like being the only major conference without a Championship Game. Maybe they can add Wyoming or New Mexico or San Diego State.

As a Boise fan I'm thankful that we finally are going to be in an automatic BCS Conference. And to be honest, those 12 teams look stronger than the ACC does from Top to Bottom. From a Big East point of view losing West Virginia was bad, but adding the combination of Houston, SMU, Boise and BYU just made this conference the best its been since Miami and Virginia Tech left in 2003.

All I can hope for now is conference realignment stability. The SEC and ACC seem to be happy at 14 teams, and the Big East, Pac-12, and Big Ten seem to be happy at 12 teams. The Big 12 says they're happy at 10 for now, but I think they're not going to like being the only major conference without a Championship Game. Maybe they can add Wyoming or New Mexico or San Diego State.

That is an ok conference still the weakest of the BCS AQ conferences imo, but may just hold onto that aq bid. Boise is the only real powerhouse school (if they can be called that yet). And i doubt they'll win national championships out of it, will probably still need two strong out of conference games to earn voters respect. The new Big East will have only one national championship since ww2 and only about 3-5 in the entire history of the conference.

If the Big 12 wants to expand then I'd say they'd raid the BiG East for the likes of Louisville or Cinncinatti, BYU or Boise rather than taking 2nd rate mwc wac or c-usa schools

If the Big 12 wants to expand then I'd say they'd raid the BiG East for the likes of Louisville or Cinncinatti, BYU or Boise rather than taking 2nd rate mwc wac or c-usa schools

You do realize that only a few years ago, Louisville and Cincy were "2nd rate C-USA schools." The only reason they got into the Big East in the first place was because of basketball. The consensus would take SDSU football over Louisville and Cincy any day of the week. That's the reason the Big 12 didn't want Louisville in the first place. Their football program wasn't good enough.

You do realize that only a few years ago, Louisville and Cincy were "2nd rate C-USA schools." The only reason they got into the Big East in the first place was because of basketball. The consensus would take SDSU football over Louisville and Cincy any day of the week. That's the reason the Big 12 didn't want Louisville in the first place. Their football program wasn't good enough.
yeah i do. but Wyoming brings little value to the Big 12 that market is so small, SDSU could, but the big east schools Louisville and Cinncinatti are getting better. Cincy has thrown several impressive seasons togeather in Football, finishing undefeated after the regular season in 09. And Louisville Basketball would make it more enticing to the Big 12. I'd Still take BYU and Boise over both of them though. Not sure if Big 12 would let Boise in as an all sports program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back