NCFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any whispers to wrap up 2014 ?

Best wishes to all for a happy & safe Christmas & New Year

Whispers are that Mallee FL will fold end of 2015 season and North Central clubs not keen to accommodate even two or three of the displaced clubs. Let me guess the reasons - too strong, too weak, a bit far, would mean too many clubs.

Whispers are that Mallee FL will fold end of 2015 season and North Central clubs not keen to accommodate even two or three of the displaced clubs. Let me guess the reasons - too strong, too weak, a bit far, would mean too many clubs.

The mallee league folding should mean the future of the North Central league is secured you would think

The mallee league folding should mean the future of the North Central league is secured you would think

1. What teams are in the Mallee league?

2. If this league did fold (that's a very big if), where would the affected clubs reasonable/logically be expected to go?

1.What teams are in the Mallee league?

Down to just 5 clubs since Jeparit-Rainbow joined the weaker Horsham District and Hopetoun - Beulah merged.

2. If this league did fold (that's a very big if), where would the affected clubs reasonable/logically be expected to go?

Logic would suggest:
Ouyen transfer to Sunraysia FL
Walpeup - Underbool will merge with Ouyen or fold or transfer to Millewa FL
Hopetoun - Beulah to North Central FL
Sea Lake - Nandally to North Central FL
Woomelang - Lascelles to North Central FL

1.What teams are in the Mallee league?

Down to just 5 clubs since Jeparit-Rainbow joined the weaker Horsham District and Hopetoun - Beulah merged.

Logic would suggest:
Ouyen transfer to Sunraysia FL
Walpeup - Underbool will merge with Ouyen or fold or transfer to Millewa FL
Hopetoun - Beulah to North Central FL
Sea Lake - Nandally to North Central FL
Woomelang - Lascelles to North Central FL

Skippy how do you think the latter teams would go in the North Central League?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skippy how do you think the latter teams would go in the North Central League?

Id imagine they would be competitive and in the mix come finals time.

I think the big problem for most NCFL clubs is that its along trip from say Wedderburn to Sea Lake (1hr30) or Hopetoun (1hr 50), given majority of the leagues players are already traveling its going to make it even harder to recruit players.

My opinion would be that those remaining clubs either join the Golden Rivers, or the Central Murray, I'd imagine a lot of Sea Lake players are based out of Swan Hill already.

I think the big problem for most NCFL clubs is that its along trip from say Wedderburn to Sea Lake (1hr30) or Hopetoun (1hr 50), given majority of the leagues players are already traveling its going to make it even harder to recruit players.

My opinion would be that those remaining clubs either join the Golden Rivers, or the Central Murray, I'd imagine a lot of Sea Lake players are based out of Swan Hill already.

As I think I've mentioned before the problem for the lies of sea lake and Woomelang if they had to join the central Murray league is that it will severely hurt their ability to recruit. Players from Central Murray clubs are happy to go and play and couple of years and maybe more at Sea Lake or Woomelang because it means they don't have to play against their home club. Just on the travel side of things it's a bloody long way from Balranald to Woomelang

The sooner the outcomes of the current review are known the better......NCFL clubs are not keen on having to travel any further north that they do presently......and remember the NCFL also incorporates a strong hockey competition that enjoys a a significant following. Sea Lake to Central Murray, Mallee Giants to the Wimmera, Ouyen to Sunraysia, and Woomelang to Golden Rivers would be logical........perhaps Bridgewater and Pyramid Hill could transition to the NCFL and make it a 9 team competition with a southern community of interest not a northern community of disinterest!!

Will an extra 40 mins once a year really be all that big an issue? (It's 40 from birchip)

8 teams = 2 full rounds, one home, one away

The facts are:
Clubs needing/wanting to move all want to merge South (ouyen being the exception, as mildura is a recruiting base)
Leagues all want to grab sides to their South as better travel.

Unless there is a club between here and Bendigo Ballarat etc, wanting to join our league, (maryborough, bridgewater, etc) Something has to give somewhere.

Will an extra 40 mins once a year really be all that big an issue? (It's 40 from birchip)

8 teams = 2 full rounds, one home, one away

The facts are:
Clubs needing/wanting to move all want to merge South (ouyen being the exception, as mildura is a recruiting base)
Leagues all want to grab sides to their South as better travel.

Unless there is a club between here and Bendigo Ballarat etc, wanting to join our league, (maryborough, bridgewater, etc) Something has to give somewhere.

I'll use myself as an example and Google as my calculator!
Bendigo to Hopetoun = 3 hrs
Bendigo to Woomalang 2.45 hrs
Bendigo to Sealake = 2.35 hrs
'Will an extra 40 mins once a year really be all that big an issue' to answer your question as a player who travels to play and train every week, yes it's a big issue!

Not all players who travel get paid! cant say I would be excited by the extra travel

The bye is one of the best bloody things in the NCFL........gives all the travellers a break...... We need 9 teams which equals two full rounds by 8 = 16 game season with an even draw and that's plenty!!

Would be good to get rid of the bye in the fixture:cool:

2 choices 1 leave as is and risk it going like the Mallee or 2: take the 3 Mallee League clubs and have a stronger league and have a 10 team competition i know what one i would go for the 2nd choice . look at the long trip for Jeparit rainbow now double hopetoun travel to St Arnaud in the Cricket, same to Charlton and Wycheproof better then having no clubs at all. For all we know woomelang and Sea lake may get sent to Golden Rivers .

Last edited:
Unfortunately the way things are with dwindling populations and the loss of clubs more travel is going to be inevitable. There is simply too many clubs around for the amount of us blokes who still love playing footy. Those of us who do it for the love of it will have to cop going further to do it. Those who get paid small fortunes to play can just suck it up in my opinion

Unfortunately the way things are with dwindling populations and the loss of clubs more travel is going to be inevitable. There is simply too many clubs around for the amount of us blokes who still love playing footy. Those of us who do it for the love of it will have to cop going further to do it. Those who get paid small fortunes to play can just suck it up in my opinion

yep so many clubs folding travel aint the factor better having a club then not
Wedderburn to beulah 144 km 1hr 44 min
which is nothing im originally from Brim former mallee League club we had to travel 2 hours 11 min 158 km to Manangatang
its fine when u only travel long distances once a year they have to do it as well Underbool was just on 2 hours as well
Ouyen close as well not so bad when our first game started at 11:00 not any earlier

Nullawil has a massive trip to hay so once u done long trips a few times its not as bad as u first think .
it would Make North Central alot stronger 10 team comp rather then 7 and possible shrink .
that would help new clubs get new players from bendigo or ballarat directon

You could play with roota truck save on driving. I hear your brother maybe coming back to play for his beloved dees... Now that would be some travel!!

I'll use myself as an example and Google as my calculator!
Bendigo to Hopetoun = 3 hrs
Bendigo to Woomalang 2.45 hrs
Bendigo to Sealake = 2.35 hrs
'Will an extra 40 mins once a year really be all that big an issue' to answer your question as a player who travels to play and train every week, yes it's a big issue!

Not all players who travel get paid! cant say I would be excited by the extra travel

Hopefully the hub don't just try a bandaid solution and look into the future for the good of country footy, the 5 mallee league clubs should join he ncfl with boort and wedderburn going to the lvfl. Tooley/manag the Malle eagles also to join the league. Nyah and balranald to join the golden rivers with hay to go to piccola league. Then have swan hill, tyntynder, woorineen, kerang, raiders & kangas, Rochy, kyabram, echuca utd, moama to form a new league and echuca bombers to the bfl. That would make the 4 leagues much stronger

QUOTE="Carlton_09, post: 36635666, member: 74059"]yep so many clubs folding travel aint the factor better having a club then not
Wedderburn to beulah 144 km 1hr 44 min
which is nothing im originally from Brim former mallee League club we had to travel 2 hours 11 min 158 km to Manangatang
its fine when u only travel long distances once a year they have to do it as well Underbool was just on 2 hours as well
Ouyen close as well not so bad when our first game started at 11:00 not any earlier

Nullawil has a massive trip to hay so once u done long trips a few times its not as bad as u first think .
it would Make North Central alot stronger 10 team comp rather then 7 and possible shrink .
that would help new clubs get new players from bendigo or ballarat directon[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back