NCFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which teams look in best shape for finals? Wyche ahead as the ladder suggests? And if not which team/s are best to challenge them?

Also where are finals at this year.. All I know is st Arnaud has the grand final

Hooper looks set to line up for Charlton, after playing 2 Senior games (and taking the field for 5-10 minutes or so of the two reserves games prior to each)
Ketterer also qualified for finals.

Charlton making a charge, that's for sure, but I'm still backing Wyche at this stage

Initial finals likely First Semi Charlton, 2nd Semi to the winner of the First Semi, Prelim to the loser of the First Semi, and Grand Final at St Arnaud. *Subject to change
Wedderburn hosts the Feeny Medal in just over 2 weeks time

This is what I was talking about last year with the unfairness of players just qualifying. The league did the right thing & upped the number of games required to play seniors finals to 4, but allowed them to include reserves games played on the same day as senior games. Go figure...
For mine Wych are still the team to beat, though Birchip are coming home with a wet sail & obviously at their best Donald are hard to beat. Realistically whoever can play well on the day could potentially end up with the flag, but I think the Navies are the least likely at this stage, though this Sat will tell a story.

This is what I was talking about last year with the unfairness of players just qualifying. The league did the right thing & upped the number of games required to play seniors finals to 4, but allowed them to include reserves games played on the same day as senior games. Go figure...
For mine Wych are still the team to beat, though Birchip are coming home with a wet sail & obviously at their best Donald are hard to beat. Realistically whoever can play well on the day could potentially end up with the flag, but I think the Navies are the least likely at this stage, though this Sat will tell a story.

I agree for the most part, however I don't think "unfairness" is the right way to put it... No one has broken any rules, either this year or last year.

There are a few things (mostly very minor) where the NCFL trail behind neighbouring leagues, and this is probably one of them. but there's only so much you can do, when you have 8 clubs, with rotating executive voting on things based on what's best for them right now, as opposed to looking down the track.

As far as how the season is going to go down, from the Get-go, any of probably 7 teams could have came home with the flag. This is a season where the side sitting on the bottom has knocked off the side sitting in 3rd, and the side 2nd from the bottom should have probably knocked off the (then) undefeated top side, on two occasions.

It's a tricky one, I'm assuming these same rules apply to TAC cup players? A local kid having a crack at TAC or VFL for that matter would be a welcome addition to any side over the next month or so but how do you have rules for local kids and not others eg Hooper.
Pick a bloke who's played 4 games and not someone who's played all year. Fair chance the bloke/s that miss out will be wearing a different jumper next year!

I'm sure Rocco and his saints have a different opponion on the navies being the least likely, 100+ point win is a fair statement. Agree with Birchip though, wet sail can they maintain it for another 4 games?
Will be interesting to see if the news of Fisher Coaching Horsham Saints next year has somewhat derailed the Royal Blues or they just had an off week last week.

I am told that it was always going to be a 2yr thing with Luke.

Not sure that he will be taking any players with him, but there's probably a few names there that I wouldn't expect to hang around with out him.

It's far is playing minimal games, and having a local miss out, there is no doubt that it can go one of two ways...

It comes down to the selectors making the call.

Pays off, they are a genius, everyone is happy
Doesn't, that's where the s**t hits the fan

Yep, agree totally about local players playing in the TAC or VFL & coming back. Maybe there should be different rules for them??
On current form the Navies are a total of about 24 goals behind the other finalists in their losses in the last encounters, so it's a bit hard to be too positive about them & their chances in the finals. Saturday will set the scene a bit.

Last edited:
I am told that it was always going to be a 2yr thing with Luke.

Not sure that he will be taking any players with him, but there's probably a few names there that I wouldn't expect to hang around with out him.

It's far is playing minimal games, and having a local miss out, there is no doubt that it can go one of two ways...

It comes down to the selectors making the call.

Pays off, they are a genius, everyone is happy
Doesn't, that's where the s**t hits the fan
You blokes have had little experience with this type of thing M4S, you should give them some advice. On another note, and im sure as per usual you wont answer, are the rumours that the Saints are going to battle to fill the committee or executive next year true or just bullshit. If as rumoured you lose those on your committee that are pulling the pin that's a hell of a lot of admin experience your losing.

B&F count at the Burn on Saturday night - any update on the winners across the grades ?

B&F count at the Burn on Saturday night - any update on the winners across the grades ?

From Facebook:

REDBACKS FANS! Saturday night we held our Best & Fairest in what a great night for the club. To recap, the awards went as followed:
SENIORS:
Best & Fairest - Daniel Gash
Runner-Up - Hayden Polglase
Best First Year Player - Will Holt
Players MVP - Robert B Tonkin
RESERVES:
Best & Fairest - Shaun Polka
Runner-Up - Usain Holt
Best First Year Player - Jesse Douglas
Coaches Award - Sam Carroll
The Best Clubman award went to Danny Fowles who continually puts in effort week in week out and was a much deserved recipient!
We also had two other very special awards in which Life Memberships were awarded to both Chris Holt & Tony Holt. Both fellas have been stalwarts of the club for many years on end and this was a fitting way to recognise all they have done and continue to do for us!
Congratulations to all award winners on the night, and thanks to everyone who supported us this season. No doubt we'll achieve bigger and better things in 2017!! #GoRedbacks

You blokes have had little experience with this type of thing M4S, you should give them some advice. On another note, and im sure as per usual you wont answer, are the rumours that the Saints are going to battle to fill the committee or executive next year true or just bullshit. If as rumoured you lose those on your committee that are pulling the pin that's a hell of a lot of admin experience your losing.

I should give them advice?

Riley McIvor. You folk set the trend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appeal successful down to 9 weeks, pretty big uproar I hear over this.. Looks like it still might go further
36 weeks was a huge call, but to drop it to 9?? You'd reckon someone got it wrong, or maybe both did.
It appears that many league tribunals get overturned by the appeal process. That's what it is there for, but it would not be surprising if some of the tribunals got jack of their deliberations being trashed.

36 weeks was a huge call, but to drop it to 9?? You'd reckon someone got it wrong, or maybe both did.
It appears that many league tribunals get overturned by the appeal process. That's what it is there for, but it would not be surprising if some of the tribunals got jack of their deliberations being trashed.

What is currently happening at the appeals tribunal is an absolute disgrace

Who's leading the chargers next year?
Bulls- Carland
Boort- Perryman
Charlton- Walklate?
Donald- Tom Bell
Sea Lake- Doreing?
St Arnaud- ??
Wedderburn- Benaim??
Wyche- Bull

Whispers:
-Sea Lake have picked up a ruckman from Swan Hill way, all reports is his a gun. Weekly not going back though.
-Charlton have lost Kirra
-Scratcher is leaving the Burnery, Herdys last year of footy.
-Wyche hopefully have a few extras in the next month.
That's all I've got.

Who's leading the chargers next year?
Bulls- Carland
Boort- Perryman
Charlton- Walklate?
Donald- Tom Bell
Sea Lake- Doreing?
St Arnaud- ??
Wedderburn- Benaim??
Wyche- Bull

Whispers:
-Sea Lake have picked up a ruckman from Swan Hill way, all reports is his a gun. Weekly not going back though.
-Charlton have lost Kirra
-Scratcher is leaving the Burnery, Herdys last year of footy.
-Wyche hopefully have a few extras in the next month.
That's all I've got.

Ryan OSullivan is the ruckman from swan hill way. Multiple league B&F and one of the best ruckman I have seen. He up against Orr would be good to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back