Toast ND Pick #13 - Welcome to Freo Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

You are right about all of those things so best case scenario is he will adapt as you say. The thing which makes him a potential flight risk is that he is from a close knit family. His family moved to Brisvegas to be with Mav, and the plan was to move to Vic this year when drafted. Mav is pretty underrated outside of St Kilda, he could even emerge this year as being in our leadership group. Having said that, Lachie is twice the player Mav is.

Flight risk, ah something we laugh at !!!.

If we can hold Pav, we can hold anything.

Flight risk??

He's Tasmanian, moved to Brisvegas. Hes needed to adapt to new areas, make friends etc. He'll just do what he did in on the coast. He'll be in Victoria most fortnights assuming hes playing for Freo.

Yeah Im not sure what the flight risk talk is about... anyway, I think you guys have a real steal here (if u can call pick 13 a steal). I see alot of Black and Lenny Hayes in this kid. Will be a ripper player

Flight risk, ah something we laugh at !!!.

If we can hold Pav, we can hold anything.

Since Jeff White have we actually lost a first round pick to the "go home" factor? I know we lost Brown, Palmer and Drum, but they are not the same. After that, Warnock is the only significant player I can think of who wanted out.

What exactly are you implying? Weller would still be under contract and St Kilda wouldn't be putting pick 1 on the table.

You may have missed the trade period this year yakka.

I am implying that if St Kilda want him and he wants to leave then they would have to pay through the nose.

We didn't draft him, and he was actually a reluctant trade in the first place, as was Tarrant.
Tarrant wasn't reluctant. He emphatically stated he wanted to play for either Freo or West Coast, as he was chasing a flag. He did the same thing after Collingwood won the flag in 2010 and looked like going back to back. Is it wrong that I enjoy the fact he never got one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, I know they are 'highlights' but the 12 kids drafted before him must be bloody amazing!

Go and watch Duggan's highlights and then rewatch Weller's highlights.

Then you will come to realise a very simple truth. The drug culture at the Eagles has reached their recruitment dept.

That video has got me a bit excited again. Just wondering how yous all think he might get his start?

Lachie is clearly very talented and highly rated and I'd expect him to play some games this year. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to get a gig and whether he sees a lot of the green vest next year. Some young midfielders get their start in the forward or back lines before moving into the midfield, but going on the highlights, I can't see him starting in defense or deep forward. Maybe high half forward, but that's almost a midfield role anyway. I think he'll have to displace someone from an outside mid/ half forward role, and there's a fair bit of competition there considering Sheridan and Sylvia weren't getting regular games last year.

Crozier was given his first run in round 10 of his first year. Sheridan had to wait till round 23. Josh Simpson wasn't exactly burning up the training track and had to wait until half the team was rested against StKilda to get his debut. But then played in round 4 of his second year.

I think Weller will most likely have to wait until late in the season and likely start as the sub.

Any predictions?

Very exciting clip... A few things I noticed:

1. Excellent skills

2. Excellent composure

3. Good speed

4. Not many hard ball gets, seemed predominantly on the outside- will he be prepared to get the hard ball? Is he tough?

5. He played in the second tier competition, he wasn't playing against the best, therefore is he really as good as he looks or is that a bit misleading because he was playing against lesser opposition.

4 and 5 aren't there to knock the kid, they are legitimate questions that I am asking becAuse I really haven't seen him at any level play beforw

Go and watch Duggan's highlights and then rewatch Weller's highlights.

Then you will come to realise a very simple truth. The drug culture at the Eagles has reached their recruitment dept.
They make some inexplicable decisions. The only answer I can think of is that they are so terrified of making a mistake they go for the most conservative option they can find. I joked before the draft they would no doubt take Duggan as he was the most vanilla player on offer whilst being secretly worried that they would pick up a genuine gun like Weller.
Its surreal. Going to be funny next year when Duggan is running around like Priddis doing dinky little kicks to nowhere and Weller is making 80 yard plays. Eagles fans will start self immolating.

Very exciting clip... A few things I noticed:

1. Excellent skills

2. Excellent composure

3. Good speed

4. Not many hard ball gets, seemed predominantly on the outside- will he be prepared to get the hard ball? Is he tough?

5. He played in the second tier competition, he wasn't playing against the best, therefore is he really as good as he looks or is that a bit misleading because he was playing against lesser opposition.

4 and 5 aren't there to knock the kid, they are legitimate questions that I am asking becAuse I really haven't seen him at any level play beforw
Don't think this is an issue.

Isaac Heeney also played in the second tier competition, and regardless everyone still thinks he would have been a top 3 pick. So I wouldn't be worried about the competition, he doesn't lose any skill or pace playing in a higher competition.

Plus the guy was getting tagged every single game, so it's even a greater testament to his quality that he was still able to dominate.

Encouraging. I note at about 1:30ish he bombs the ball about 45m on his left as well.

To quote my Eagles supporting best mate "Don't mind Duggan but would have preferred Weller". The real difference there is the pace. I like how Weller just goes balls-out as soon as he grabs the ball and still manages to put it on someone's chest.

The question is 'where does he fit next year'. We have so much midfield depth. Crozier is an automatic in for me. Sheridan really needs to push this year or he risks being on the outer. Morabito needs a good run with injuries or he could fall by the wayside too. Not a lot of spots.

Also, if anyone is seriously worrying about this 'go home factor', take a look at these instagram posts from Lachie.

The guy seems to be really embracing the purple with these images and comments. Even got his misses in on it :rolleyes:.. well i presume it's his misses.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.PNG
    IMG_0836.PNG
    204 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0837.PNG
    IMG_0837.PNG
    167.3 KB · Views: 64
Encouraging. I note at about 1:30ish he bombs the ball about 45m on his left as well.

To quote my Eagles supporting best mate "Don't mind Duggan but would have preferred Weller". The real difference there is the pace. I like how Weller just goes balls-out as soon as he grabs the ball and still manages to put it on someone's chest.

The question is 'where does he fit next year'. We have so much midfield depth. Crozier is an automatic in for me. Sheridan really needs to push this year or he risks being on the outer. Morabito needs a good run with injuries or he could fall by the wayside too. Not a lot of spots.
Heat will go on second tier players, players down on form, I expect the pressure to retain your position should lift everyone.

They make some inexplicable decisions. The only answer I can think of is that they are so terrified of making a mistake they go for the most conservative option they can find. I joked before the draft they would no doubt take Duggan as he was the most vanilla player on offer whilst being secretly worried that they would pick up a genuine gun like Weller.
Its surreal. Going to be funny next year when Duggan is running around like Priddis doing dinky little kicks to nowhere and Weller is making 80 yard plays. Eagles fans will start self immolating.

Have you actually watched Duggan's highlights? Man was roosting 60 metres with ease, making great decision plus he is almost a full year younger than most other draftees.

Yes, Weller has more pace, but don't act like Duggan's highlights weren't very impressive aswell.

Blakely doesn't have blistering pace, quite the opposite, does that make him vanilla?

Have you actually watched Duggan's highlights? Man was roosting 60 metres with ease, making great decision plus he is almost a full year younger than most other draftees.

Yes, Weller has more pace, but don't act like Duggan's highlights weren't very impressive aswell.

Blakely doesn't have blistering pace, quite the opposite, does that make him vanilla?

The fact that he is now an eagle, not only makes him a bad footballer, it also makes a bad bloke..... True story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back