ND Pick 17 - Josh Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

JOSH SIMPSON
DOB: 09/02/1994
Height: 184cm
Weight: 73kg
Club: East Fremantle/Western Australia

Bio: Exciting medium midfielder/forward with natural speed and agility. Dangerous player around goal and very capable overhead for a player of his size. Represented SA in 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before returning to his native WA in 2012 where he played four matches and averaged 14 disposals and three tackles a game.

Click here to view AFL.com.au's 30-day draft countdown

Upside: Simpson moved from South Australia, where he was on a scholarship at Rostrevor College, back to Perth after last season to be closer to his family who hail from a small town near Geraldton. While the move, and a broken collarbone early in the season, disrupted the continuity of his development he is still a very enticing draft prospect. Simpson is a very quick and creative forward-winger who isn't afraid to take on the game. He's evasive in traffic, very hard to tackle and disposes of the ball well off his right boot as well as his non-preferred left.

"He's a very slick mover - he knows how to move and when to move in traffic. Put a bit of grass in front of Josh and he's off - he'll make the most of the smallest opening. He's a real professional too. He takes his football very seriously, he doesn't just rely on pure skill, and he's a real leader in his community as well." - WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino.

Downside: Simpson can light up a game with a freak goal or a dashing run, but recruiters would like to see him develop his ability to have more of an impact on the contest across four quarters. He has a decent tank, which will only get better, so learning a few tricks of the trade and improving his knowledge of how an AFL midfield ticks will help him in this regard.

Plays like: Simpson's favourite player is Swans star Lewis Jetta and there are some similarities between the two. Simpson is a bit taller than Jetta, but they share a similar build and a long-striding gait that propels them across the ground at a rate of knots.

Draft range: Some consider Simpson a possible top-10 draft pick, but its more realistic to expect he'll get taken somewhere in the 10-to-20 range. He has the pace and skills that would add something to most midfields, but Adelaide, Geelong and North Melbourne could really benefit from bringing him onboard.

In his own words: "I am a team player always and someone who people can rely on. My strengths are my ability to run and carry the ball, my kicking skills and my ability to create space."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson look like a gun. Good to get some more WA talent into the team ...... Hope we get some talls.

From Quigleys Phantom Draft :

Josh Simpson

Given we are coming off a season where Lewis Jetta has really announced himself I am tipping there should be a fair bit of interest in Simpson who is probably the closest facsimile to Jetta in this draft. Simpson might not have quite the top end pace that Jetta does just yet but he has enough pace to be very dangerous and the rest of his game is very similar. Like Jetta he is a predominately outside winger who can get forward and kick goals.

Last year Simpson left his home 500km north east of Perth and went to school in Adelaide. He played for SA at the Champs as a small forward and did pretty well. After talking with his coaches he decided to move back to WA for his final year of under 18s where he could both work on his football and be near his family for the year prior to being drafted. It appears he was not necessarily homesick but merely recognised that after this year he would likely be spending a lot of time away from his family and decided to make the most of it while he could. He is close to his family but says all the right things about looking forward to going to whoever picks him. He did pretty well in SA last year and I think the go home risk is probably not too high with him.

On the park Simpson is an outside receiver with good run and carry. He is an elusive runner with both good swerve and a big sidestep when he pulls it out. When you watch him play one of the interesting things is the away he attacks the gaps between opposition players. He splits the players and slides through with pace and deceptive strength. Simpson is not a big guy and probably never will be overly large but he has good balance and core strength and uses that to good effect on the park. That somewhat unexpected strength combined with his elusiveness make him a very difficult proposition to tackle.

Simpson has a very natural kicking style and he uses touch kicks a lot. Is is capable of drilling in a low worm burner but tends not to bring this out too often. Despite what you might think given his build, Simpson is one of the longer kicks in this draft capable of kicking goals from 60 metres out. Even at 55 he doesn't overkick the ball and seems to do it pretty easily without too much effort. With his set shots he tends to guide the ball through the goal, working it around with feel rather than kicking through it like goal kicking coaches tend to prefer. He is a pretty reasonable shot for goal so I would not be messing with him too much. If it is not broke don't bloody fix it. Simpson is a natural right footer but he is one of the better in this draft on his non-preferred. He has pretty good length and weight on his left when he is forced to use it.

I would like Simpson to have gotten a few more possessions this year and he does tend to drift in and out of games. This could be a function of his endurance which could use some work (although it is not terrible now by any means). When he is involved in the game he works hard and looks like a pretty good gut runner capable of sustaining a run. He can fade out pretty quickly though. It took Jetta a few years to build his running power in the WAFL before he was picked up by Sydney and I think similarly it might take Simpson a preseason or two before we see the best of him. In his Colts games this year he managed only 14 disposals per game which is not a lot for someone of his talent. In fairness I should mention that he did break his collar bone in April this year and this interrupted his season a bit although he did show good dedication rehabbing his injury and returning sooner than expected. He is not a big defensive pressure kind of player at the moment although he does pick up a few tackles each game. As he ups his endurance I think this area of his game will improve.

Overall I like Simpson quite a lot. He is a natural footballer who looks like he is willing to work to improve his game. If I was looking to add a Lewis Jetta type run and kicker then I would certainly be looking Simpson's way. On talent he should go in the top 20 and I would be surprised if he fell below that.

Interesting read that one, he sounds like a pretty level-headed kid.

I liked this bit:

But shocked by the news Western Bulldog Zephaniah Skinner had become the latest in a long line of young Aboriginal players to prematurely quit the AFL to return home, Simpson is adamant he'll cope wherever his draft fate sends him and dreams of having a 10-year career.

"With us Aboriginal kids, I reckon at a young age we need to kind of leave our family a bit," he said.

"When I first boarded, I cried and cried and cried for my family. But once you get over that, you should be used to it. I don't know what's going through their mind sometimes. A lot of players want that opportunity, and they just let it walk out the door. So for me, I'm in a better position than most."

He is definitely exciting and I have to admit I am looking forward to how the three speed demons in Hill, Pearce and Simpson get used, plus I want to get a good bit of game time from Crozier and Mora this coming season. Yowzers, that is exciting.

One thing that impresses me was he was a natural kick off both feet. Also like his pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back