ND Pick 39 - Max Duffy

Remove this Banner Ad

People look at Saint Kilda's style under Lyon and then extrapolate that to mean he's a defensive coach.
He's not, he's a very very smart coach who understands that good defence is the basis of a winning football side, no RL coached side will ignore defence, however he is also on record as saying teams have to kick a score to win games of football and RL is adaptable. When at the Saints he looked at the players available and the ground they played most of their footy on and set about building a team that was virtually unbeatable at Etihad BUT he knew how to adapt the gameplan to go interstate and win on different grounds, they embarrassed us on Subi several times by exploiting the wide open spaces much better than we did. FFS Brett Peake was his secret weapon, he embarrassed us with Brett Peake!
Now that he's at Freo he's looked at where we play and he's building a side to win at Subi, to be unbeatable there. we play half our matches there so if we win them all we are pretty much playing finals BUT and again the but, he's also been able to transform us, in one year to a side that can win and win tough in Melbourne.
The man is a coaching genius and he's not a one trick pony. Whatever it takes, anywhere, anytime.
We are going to destroy teams at Subi with pace, hard running AND flair. Good times people.

I remember reading a comment about that early in the season and that was in comment about Crozier taking the high flying marks, where he was told he role was to be more of a crumbing oppurtunist and let Pav and Sandi go up in the contests.
Obviously, Walter's isn't paying any attention to the coach.

People look at Saint Kilda's style under Lyon and then extrapolate that to mean he's a defensive coach.
He's not, he's a very very smart coach who understands that good defence is the basis of a winning football side, no RL coached side will ignore defence, however he is also on record as saying teams have to kick a score to win games of football and RL is adaptable. When at the Saints he looked at the players available and the ground they played most of their footy on and set about building a team that was virtually unbeatable at Etihad BUT he knew how to adapt the gameplan to go interstate and win on different grounds, they embarrassed us on Subi several times by exploiting the wide open spaces much better than we did. FFS Brett Peake was his secret weapon, he embarrassed us with Brett Peake!
Now that he's at Freo he's looked at where we play and he's building a side to win at Subi, to be unbeatable there. we play half our matches there so if we win them all we are pretty much playing finals BUT and again the but, he's also been able to transform us, in one year to a side that can win and win tough in Melbourne.
The man is a coaching genius and he's not a one trick pony. Whatever it takes, anywhere, anytime.
We are going to destroy teams at Subi with pace, hard running AND flair. Good times people.

Quoted because the like i gave wasn't enough :)

I can seriously see Freo assaulting the top 4 next year. There isn't a team in the AFL atm that i would mark off as a loss.

When we lost against Adelaide in the semi's it was reported that the guys weren't shattered or devestated, they looked hungry for more and excited about what they achieved.

Bring on 2013 - Fit, available, any one, any where @ any time!!

ah ok, well that makes sense, if you are a crumbin forward, that is your role. I would suggest though that if the correct situation arose, ross wouldnt be unhappy to see him go for a fly

If I remember the story right, Ross wasn't unhappy that he flew for the mark, he was disappointed that he didn't hold it.

353710-hayden-crozier.jpg

Yeahhhhh boy!

The stories doing the rounds after we selected him was that former teammates were saying these towering marks aren't just flukey one off things; he regularly does it..... and so when I heard the scuttlebutt that Ross was unhappy with him doing it at training, I was puzzled to say the least.

I think Freo fans are in for a thrill this year with Crozier, Simpson and the Corporal.

The stories doing the rounds after we selected him was that former teammates were saying these towering marks aren't just flukey one off things; he regularly does it..... and so when I heard the scuttlebutt that Ross was unhappy with him doing it at training, I was puzzled to say the least.

I think Freo fans are in for a thrill this year with Crozier, Simpson and the Corporal.

I think it's fair enough. If you're playing as a small forward, in general, you need to get front and centre. Particularly at training. Perfect practice, makes perfect. On game day in the right circumstances, I doubt Lyon would have an issue with it. Time and a place. The team comes first etc.

I think it's fair enough. If you're playing as a small forward, in general, you need to get front and centre. Particularly at training. Perfect practice, makes perfect. On game day in the right circumstances, I doubt Lyon would have an issue with it. Time and a place. The team comes first etc.

Yeah if the Pav has made a lead and the ball goes deeper, jump all over the head of that sorry arse defender, otherwise watch how Walters follows Pav like a remora

There is a compilation somewhere on Youtube of his marks in Country footy. It's remarkable.

it hasnt come up properly on here for some reason, but this is my favourite footy pic of all time, and it is why i have it as my avatar... wish it would come out clearly. but anyway, croz can certainly take them

28550_1378659640436_1650240563_906721_6676585_n.jpg

Try saving and using this one KPR:
2gyb09s.png

Well, Ross was purportedly squeezing the flair out of Crozier's game and it does seem odd to now target extreme individual flair in two players, Simpson & Duffy.
I recall after an early game last season that Gerard Healy asked his panel on, " On the Couch " , " have you ever seen a more attacking Ross Lyon coached team before ? " to which the consensus was, an emphatic no.

Fremantle is the Ross Lyon paradox.
I remember him saying a similar thing re: McPharlin too. No speccies, stay on the ground and do your job.

Poor reflection on Duffy. Mike Ellis is a legend of WA basketball and an ex NBL coach.

It's amazing that players when cut blame the coach but never look at the reason why they were cut.

I didn't read that the way you did. To me it seems like he was saying that Ellis cutting him made him focus on his footy. And that has worked out well.

He didn't say anything about Ellis apart from that, that I could see.

Pretty much what I was thinking. If he's playing the small forward role (even though he's a medium forward height wise) and there isn't already a small front and square he needs to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I remember the story right, Ross wasn't unhappy that he flew for the mark, he was disappointed that he didn't hold it.
I would think that Ross wants Crozier playing as a crumbing forward at the moment as he is so slight but once he has bulked up a bit and can hold his own in the packs he would have the freedom to do more things like that. Probably just trying to protect his slight frame for now

Or he doesn't want Crozier jumping on teammates heads at training because of the risk of injuries. You're reading too much into it.

Or he doesn't want Crozier jumping on teammates heads at training because of the risk of injuries. You're reading too much into it.

Okay yakka, I'll run with this one. sounds very reasonable given the new mantra from Ross last year about being fit and available. He was trying to get away from the injury situation of 2011 & 10.

yeah. I just havent been bothered to change it, but the moment i heard we had taken crozier, all i heard about was some awesome mark he took, obviously the first one that came up was the state uner 18's mark, but the second one and IMO the better one was my avatar. looks like he must be only 16 in that pic... unbelievable grab. apparently there is video of it somewhere, but i havent been able to find it.
I checked with the best source, the great man himself and there is no footage. I completed an extensive search of the interwebz myself to find nothing...
It was him playing for Rowville Hawks Vs Mooroolbark in the EFL.

"Yes mate, that's your number right there. No, i'm afraid the other 98 are unavailable. Yes, really. I know right?"

That's not how it works. When you play at a league club you get your jumper presented to you. Think about it, the bloke ends up at one of the proudest clubs in sporting history, and you expect him to throw his jumper presentation in their face in case some juveniles on big footy don't like his number. ;)

It's obvious Duffy enjoys the soixante-neuf, but is there a problem with this? Probably means we'll see a record high number of score assists from him next year.

Think about it, the bloke ends up at one of the proudest clubs in sporting history, and you expect him to throw his jumper presentation in their face in case some juveniles on big footy don't like his number. ;)
He was with the Royals?:p

I thought there was some leeway with numbers - as part of the deal to get to Carlton, Ted Hopkins got a low number when he joined so that his locker was more amongst the senior players and he could learn more (no homo!).

IMO, getting handed 69 can potentially add unwanted pressure to a new recruit, i.e., that he's expected to quickly get in the groove.

He was with the Royals?:p

I thought there was some leeway with numbers - as part of the deal to get to Carlton, Ted Hopkins got a low number when he joined so that his locker was more amongst the senior players and he could learn more (no homo!).

IMO, getting handed 69 can potentially add unwanted pressure to a new recruit, i.e., that he's expected to quickly get in the groove.

You don't reckon he's flexible enough to adapt to the more rigorous positions yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back