ND Pick # 44 - Rory Sloane - Discussion

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Competitive defender who can also play in the midfield or forward. Wins his own ball, is strong overhead and is excellent in one-on-one situations. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2008 and won the Eastern Ranges Best and Fairest and the TAC Cup Coaches Award. His endurance featured at the NAB AFL Draft Camp where he ranked second in the beep test (14.5) and sixth in the 3km test. His 2.98secs for 20m also showed his all-round athletic excellence. From Upwey-Tecoma FC.

Sounds like your pure AFC draft pick doesn't it.

Own ball, one on one and good athletics!

Thats exactly what I thought when I read that description. Good beep test, good sprint, good 3km results, competative......thats your classic AFC pick under Craig!

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting that Matty Rendell said that Sloane was the player that would have been the next chosen by the Crows in the 2007 draft. He seemed really chuffed when talking about Sloane. A 6' aggressive midfielder with real leadership qualities.

Shows that Vic Crow was correct in this post from months ago!

He nominated for the draft. http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=53248

Anyway, I quite like him. Wouldn't have minded him at Adelaide, but our strategy of drafting quite small forced our hand in taking Aaron Kite with our last live pick. The club rates Kite, but Rendell did say that he was the only player we took out or order from our 'best available' list because of his height. That indicates there was a crop of smaller players that we did rate higher than Kite. Maybe Sloane was in that group and got unlucky.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10992548

From May 12th! That's an unbelievable call from Vic Crow :D

Apparently Sloane is going to be on 5AA sometime soon.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just heard him on 5AA, not hard to see why they were impressed with his attitude. Extremely well-spoken kid, modest but confident, gushed over how excited he was to come to Adelaide and train with the boys. Was joking with the radio guys, not intimidated in the slightest. They asked him what his nickname was (Rendell has indicated he had one based around his hair) and he said people had called him "The Golden Child" but said he hoped that nickname wouldn't follow him to Adelaide. Wildy suggested "The Chosen One" and he laughed and said something like "Yeah, we'll have to pass on that one. We'll come up with one when I get there!" - seemed like he had a good sense of humour. Said he played a couple of times on Dangerfield earlier in the year and that he's a quality player. Chris Knights is an ex-Eastern Rangers guy and he said Knights called him to welcome him. Burton and Goodwin also called him and were extremely nice, he says the club seems extremely welcoming and he's sure it will be a good time.

Has a sister living here in Adelaide playing Volleyball which will be helpful! Said that it wasn't far for his family to come and watch him play too, which is a far cry from the usual crying over moving an hour's plane flight away. His parents are excited about him starting his football career and when asked how they reacted to him having to move he said "I guess I had to move out some time!" - having a sister already interstate with sports probably prepares them.

All in all, sounded like a fine quality kid, I'm already a fan :) He arrives tomorrow evening.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did they say that or what?
Because some friends are coming over soon and I would really like to hear it. If you could just post when it is on ?

Could anyone record it please?

Sorry, you just missed it. Don't fret though, I have little doubt he'll be on the radio a fair few times over his career :) A natural speaker.

Oh, I forgot, he says he played mostly on-ball and up forward throughout his junior days, and only moved to defence when he went to the Rangers. Says he's happy to play anywhere he can get a spot.

thed

Senior List
Jul 27, 2004
at home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
just listened to the interview.... what a confident, relaxed young man. very impressive.

Matt Rendells relaxed demeanor appears to be reflected in the characters he is bring to the club.

obviously the real test is how he plays footy, but if that interview plus the youtube footage is an indication looking forward to watching him in the years to come.

Coathanger

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2006
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Yankees,Virginia Cavaliers
Well done to you guys.You have a cracker in this lad.

I was hoping like hell we would take him at pick 34.

Only issue is Craig letting him have a game( ala T.Walker).

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Walker will have plenty of games, don't worry about that :) It's rare for a Crows player to debut in his first year, and I guess there's logic to that being that we have an extremely strong state level competition to develop players in away from the unforgiving glare of the AFL. Better to let kids spend a year feeling comfortable playing at a high level and finding their feet, and then eventually earning a spot.

Being that I've decided he'll be the next VB, I suppose we can expect a few games next year. Following in the footsteps and all :D

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

Different type of player to Walker, I could see Rory getting a fair number of games next year, he sounds like the type of player who would excel in a NC environment. Many of our midfield types lately have come in and at least played 2 or 3 games in their first year. If you look at it VB, Knights, Vince, Porps, Douglas, Otten, Dangerfield even Jacky and Cambell got game time in their first year and a case could have been made that had Mackay and Cook not suffered season ending injuries in their first years, they would have played too, no reason why Rory won't.

Walker was given time in the SANFL to work on a few things such as 2nd and 3rd efforts, defensive pressure, ensure he worked hard 100% of the time, not just some of it, small things, but in the end he will probably be better for it and by the sounds has come out to preseason training in tip top shape with an amazingly good attitude, a year in the SANFL might prove to be really beneficial, although its often hard to measure this kind of stuff.

97-98

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
sloaneuo5.jpg

Like the sound of this kid.

Crow-mo

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Dec 31, 2005
Mo Mansions LA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide
some players are apprehensive, because they've heard from people that adelaide is a dead end place, nothing to do there blah blah blah... usually from people who have the intellectual potential to be a shoe shine boy.... we see that from time to time.

however, some players will be thinking - that's a damn fine club. thank **** i'm not going to a rabble.

good to hear he was happy to be here, would think many guys would be pretty keen to get into a good program.

Ticktak

All Australian
Nov 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, Canucks, Seahawks
some players are apprehensive, because they've heard from people that adelaide is a dead end place, nothing to do there blah blah blah... usually from people who have the intellectual potential to be a shoe shine boy.... we see that from time to time.

however, some players will be thinking - that's a damn fine club. thank **** i'm not going to a rabble.

good to hear he was happy to be here, would think many guys would be pretty keen to get into a good program.

Think they found this out from his teachers:D

Back