ND Pick # 44 - Rory Sloane - Discussion

jumpman5

Team Captain
Aug 25, 2006
Melbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
What I like most about the emerging culture in the AFC, is there seems to be less and less of the "GO home factor"....

A MASSIVE stack of our next geneartion are all 'interstaters', VB, Douglas, Knights, Dangerfield, Griffen, Jacky, Kite, Cook, Armstrong, McKay, Maric, Otten Tippett and Walker...add McKernan, Sloane, Lee and Young, that accounts for half our list...

Everytime you listen to a younger Crows player get interviewed, whether it be McKay, Tippett or VB they all talk about how tight-knit all the younger boys are, on and off the field...many of them live together and can always be spotted out and about together...the younger boys that get drafted are made to feel at home from day one.

I believe this stems from the Reilly-Goodwin relationship.... Goodwin took Reils under his wing at a time when he was extremely home-sick and probably saved us from losing Reilly back 2 VIC...Reilly done then same for VB, Maric and Knights, as they done for Douglas and Griffen, and on and on....(of course there will be those that get away -WATTS- but you'll never win them all)

I believe it is now a strong feature of our club now that NC, Matty Rendell and the team have no fear in drafting the best kids from interstate....

Sloane looks an absolute gem, but McKernan could be what we've been lookin for since Mods left....

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Figured I should get in early and claim Sloane as MY draftee. He's mine, nobody elses. I've never done this before, how exciting for me! When he becomes a gun player for the Crows I assume I can claim royalties.

5048507_firstImageIMG.jpg

Go you good thing! :)

Eastern Crow

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers, Adel Utd, Redbacks
some players are apprehensive, because they've heard from people that adelaide is a dead end place, nothing to do there blah blah blah... usually from people who have the intellectual potential to be a shoe shine boy.... we see that from time to time.

however, some players will be thinking - that's a damn fine club. thank **** i'm not going to a rabble.

good to hear he was happy to be here, would think many guys would be pretty keen to get into a good program.

not to mention we have some of the best club facilities in the land

why would you nor want to stay

Freddy Bassett

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 2, 2005
At Work
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PANTHERS,CHELSEA
What I like most about the emerging culture in the AFC, is there seems to be less and less of the "GO home factor"....

A MASSIVE stack of our next geneartion are all 'interstaters', VB, Douglas, Knights, Dangerfield, Griffen, Jacky, Kite, Cook, Armstrong, McKay, Maric, Otten Tippett and Walker...add McKernan, Sloane, Lee and Young, that accounts for half our list...

Everytime you listen to a younger Crows player get interviewed, whether it be McKay, Tippett or VB they all talk about how tight-knit all the younger boys are, on and off the field...many of them live together and can always be spotted out and about together...the younger boys that get drafted are made to feel at home from day one.

I believe this stems from the Reilly-Goodwin relationship.... Goodwin took Reils under his wing at a time when he was extremely home-sick and probably saved us from losing Reilly back 2 VIC...Reilly done then same for VB, Maric and Knights, as they done for Douglas and Griffen, and on and on....(of course there will be those that get away -WATTS- but you'll never win them all)

I believe it is now a strong feature of our club now that NC, Matty Rendell and the team have no fear in drafting the best kids from interstate....

Sloane looks an absolute gem, but McKernan could be what we've been lookin for since Mods left....

Great post..... Esp the bit about Goody taking Reilly under his wing. It was clear for all who drank at the Alma to see 4 or 5 years ago. The young lad was always with Goody and the Roo. That would be brain washing of the strongest kind to be 20 and hanging out with them

P.A.F.C

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
From Inside Football Magazine;
Rory Sloane - medium defender, Eastern Ranges, VIC
DOB:17/3/90 Ht:182cm Wt:76kg
"Rory won our best and fairest and had an excellent year including playing every game for Vic Metro. He's a midfielder who is just an all-round good player. His special thing is his kicking, which is just superb, and he's also an exceptional competitor. Got good pace and is very good one-on-one. He just wins contests basically."
- Eastern Ranges region manager Ian Flack
Vic Metro rep 2008. From Upwey-Tecoma FC.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Rory does a very good job on Chris Yarran here

As much as the commentator keeps drooling over Yarran, Sloane nailed him more than a few times - the spoiling was so clean, eyes only for the ball, then a second effort to get the ball out of the area... fantastic.

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rory does a very good job on Chris Yarran here:

[youtube]cMY131FTEbQ[/youtube]

So when we face up against Yarran next year we should bring Sloane into the side? :p He didn't do bad there at all.

Imagine him and Myke Cook running around the field, there would be confusion everywhere! Let alone all the other blondes.

Back