NDIS funds raided for drought relief

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...lief-under-morrison-plan-20181026-p50c5k.html

Disability advocates have slammed Prime Minister Scott Morrison's decision to "repurpose" $3.9 billion originally set aside for the NDIS to pay for drought relief, but the plan has been cautiously welcomed by farmers.

Mr Morrison unveiled his $5 billion Drought Future Fund at a summit attended by farmers, economists, industry bodies and state and federal ministers in Canberra on Friday, promising measures to drought-proof the nation's agriculture sector.

The first $3.9 billion of the scheme, which would operate similarly to the Medical Future Fund, is to be paid for out of a pool of money originally intended for the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

Physical Disability Council of NSW chief executive Serena Ovens likened the move to "stealing from Peter to pay Paul", saying the funds should instead be used to ensure the NDIS would be sustainable in the long term and that Australians with disability were given "what is required to have a normal, reasonable life".

Ms Ovens said while helping farmers was a worthy aim, it should not be done "at the cost of an equally important scheme for some very vulnerable people".

Difficult choice though, without support farms could be permanently lost. Meaning less future income and taxes to pay for budget. Alternative is tax increases

You mean rain, right? How the * is Morrison planning to "drought proof" the nation? Throwing money at the issue won't solve the problem. No rain means drought.

This from the party that won't do anything about climate change...

Difficult choice though, without support farms could be permanently lost. Meaning less future income and taxes to pay for budget. Alternative is tax increases
They're doing what governments do -particularly reactionaries - they're going for the low hanging fruit. If they actually seriously went after the corporates who regard paying tax as optional there would be no need to perform smash and grab raids like this.

You mean rain, right? How the **** is Morrison planning to "drought proof" the nation? Throwing money at the issue won't solve the problem. No rain means drought.

I think the plan is to give $ to farmers to stay on the farm. Or maybe reduce water losses somehow

I think the plan is to give $ to farmers to stay on the farm. Or maybe reduce water losses somehow

Fine. But how does that help the stock that require water? Sure, the farmer can get their supplies trucked in but the only thing that is going to help is rain. It wouldn't be called a drought otherwise.

Side note. I'm in the Indian desert atm and it absolutely smashed down 2 nights ago, hailed too. First time in years my driver said.

So, to summarize.

Morrison - "f*** the disabled".
I suppose a purely right wing outlook is * the disabled they are non productive and aren’t taxpayers to the level of the farmers and if we don’t support disabled maybe they due earlier and less money paid in long term.

#probablynottrue #butwhocantell

Apparently (details to be explored further in due course) there was $850K grant to help drought proof Murray Darling Basin given to a National party candidate out of Shepparton in ~2011. From what I understand the money disappeared and allegedly and mysteriously turned up in his bank account.

On the other hand, Joyce and Steve from MineCraft are vouching for him and are saying he’s a good bloke...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean rain, right? How the **** is Morrison planning to "drought proof" the nation? Throwing money at the issue won't solve the problem. No rain means drought.

I thought Morrison’s plan was to pray for rain.

Having a Science Minister and investing in Science would have helped towards drought proofing Australia. But The corrupt Liberal Party is not interested in that leftist s**t, they’re more interested in their own alternative opinion of Science that doesn’t get exposure on the communist run ABC, but gets “free” time in Bolt’s column.

Instead we have an innovation minister where

innovation = “duh, if you increase the cost of a monopolised resource you get more munny duh”
innovation = “duh, if you give me “political donations” I’ll help you get more munny”

Set up an "insurance" scheme were farmers put in money during good years to be used during bad ones would make sense.
That would make a mess of the tax avoidance in good years/put your hand out in bad ones business plan.

When actions speak louder than words news item;

The Morrison government has promised they will pray for rain if elected in at the next Federal Election.

Sounds like black mail vote for us or we dont prey for rain

That’s the way the Gubmint operates, they always make idle* threats about what they won’t currently do unless they’re elected in for another term. Additionally if you say something they (and their key stakeholders) don’t like, they take something away, like funding. Just look at the CSIRO and ABC.

Their qualifications lie in being thugs, liars and bullies, but they are empty vessels when it comes to everything else - no smarts, no morality, no values, no truth, no courage, no humanity, no strength.

Incidentally, if CSIRO was taken seriously they would have;
1) received adequate funding and not had their guts cut out by the Abbott government
2) made Australia world leaders in drought-proofing technology

*Idle meaning they’re both not doing it currently and not planning on following through with their promise

Fund some permaculturist to go around and teach farmers to farm sustainably would be a good start

They might learn something of a the hippy greenies

Farmers mostly vote liberal.

Make up the majority of factions in the country. Farmers hate hippies because the hippies are right.

However today's hippy is not the same as yesterday's hippy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back