NEAFL 2015

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok Lads and Ladies the 2015 NEAFL Season has now just started - Any news and tit bits please???? Someone must know something from out in the new revamped 11 Club Superpower 2nd tier AFL Competition????????????

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok Lads and Ladies the 2015 NEAFL Season has now just started - Any news and tit bits please???? Someone must know something from out in the new revamped 11 Club Superpower 2nd tier AFL Competition????????????

After a number of player losses, see Southport have been very busy. Apart from picking up Bock and Hunt as coaches,( with Hunt playing), they have recruited Bocks brother, and another guy by the name of Sully, a top VFL player for Geelong ressies,,, ex AFL players in Jarred Brennan, Jack Anthony, a kid by the name of Jones who was Captain of Tasmanias TAC cup side . Another kid from TAC cup by name of Ritchie, who was a Vic Metro rep in 2014.Also Hector, from Belconnen and Hancock from Broady.
See, ex broady players in Shreeve and Kieran Brennan are staying, but Ive heard Brewer is returning to Broady,, and I don't know about the other broady players in Wells, Burton and Mckenzie.

kittycat12

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Billy - if Aspley have only lost 7 or 8 players they are still well ahead of the losses compared to Redland and southport.
Sharks have signed some experience as needed but not sure if Bock is going to play much, Hunt maybe in the NFL and Anthony and Brennan have been out of the AFL system for a long while. Both clubs are actually struggling for consistent numbers. Expect the more even draw should help the QLD teams though.
Need this comp to work even though most know that there are some obvious issues. But hopefully the AFLQ people actually let the comp go for a few years before messing again and leave the QAFL teams and comp alone. Don't need constant changes.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree Kittycat - the worse thing than change is too much change. I would be surprised if any NEAFL club keeps a list of more than 80% from year to year - it is the nature of the comp. Sort of a "have a go" comp - test yourself, am I good enough to be drafted, do i like the high level of training / commitment? Yep, stay on, maybe get drafted, nup, go head somewhere else.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree Kittycat - the worse thing than change is too much change. I would be surprised if any NEAFL club keeps a list of more than 80% from year to year - it is the nature of the comp. Sort of a "have a go" comp - test yourself, am I good enough to be drafted, do i like the high level of training / commitment? Yep, stay on, maybe get drafted, nup, go head somewhere else.

smy1305,

I agree with yours and kitty cat's observations and comments above on this point of natural change due to personal requirements, although it makes it hard for the club based teams to go on and win the flag without commitment from players willing to play for each other - The AFL Reserve sides are now therefore nearly unbeatable, given this open door and change of playing roster policy by local clubs, unless players give their club and each other a commitment to build a team to win and this will mean that commitment to play together.

FootyFan24

Draftee
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

Nt Thunder signing Tambling and rumours circling about ex hawthorn and port ruckman in Brent Renouf. Some more signings within the next week

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nt Thunder signing Tambling and rumours circling about ex hawthorn and port ruckman in Brent Renouf. Some more signings within the next week

FooytFan24,

Good work scoop on the report above, I see the NEAFL web site has been active (which is unusual) early in the year with a report on most things reported here first on Big Footy, but it is interesting with the ins and outs to date - I am sure we have only scratched the surface, so any rumors of signings and movements to date, put them up on here and we will debate their validity, right or wrong - Does anyone know the backgrounds of the new names mentioned on the NEAFL web site signed for Aspley?????

Sad to see Raines (Ex of the Lions - New of the Suns) suffer an apparent knee injury at pre-season training - Suns training physical in pre season, WOW they might win a few in the NEAFL this year!!!!!

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well done to neafl on the article on the website. Very good summary. In the main it looks like the qld teams have lost more than they have gained. Will they drop back or do they have more coming? Will young locals step up?

3 months till season starts its a long time!

RememberRoyce

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a feeling the Giants could make a few teams wish they were playing down a grade. There will be some serious talent in that ressies team.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well done to neafl on the article on the website. Very good summary. In the main it looks like the qld teams have lost more than they have gained. Will they drop back or do they have more coming? Will young locals step up?

3 months till season starts its a long time!

2010 PREMIER,
local clubs have lost more then they have gained,,, that's for sure and that will continue,,, we all know that.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2010 PREMIER,
local clubs have lost more then they have gained,,, that's for sure and that will continue,,, we all know that.

I googled a few of the recruits for the qld teams and a few decent ins there. Maybe with some natural progression from retained players they may all still be reasonable. But here's the difficulty for them - no easy games with the exit of 3 of the lower teams and the winless Suns clearly addressing the embarrassment and impairment to player development of being uncompetitive. Pressure on Giants players to stay on a reducing sized list should ensure their strength and swans and lions to be strong again.

Ruthless_honest

Debutant
Jan 28, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hear brennan is only playing up to 8 games...

Surely this isn't a recruit used to its maximum he won't care by rd6 and will quit stating family reasons..

Ruthless_honest

Debutant
Jan 28, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just checking out all the ins and outs for the NEAFL teams. Redlands with some big outs. Does anyone know where all those Redlands players are going ??Especially Phil Carse, he was a gun !!

Carse - coach country Vic
Hughes - overseas retired
Scott brothers - tall one to magpies short one moved down south with mrs I think.
Estall - back to mt Gravatt
Pfeiffer - coach UNI
Dzufer - BIG coin to maroochydore

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scott brothers - tall one to magpies short one moved down south with mrs I think.
Pfeiffer - coach UNI

Thanks heaps for the reply. Great info. Do you think Redlands will still give the top sides a nudge again this year, or will they see a rebuilding phase ??

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks heaps for the reply. Great info. Do you think Redlands will still give the top sides a nudge again this year, or will they see a rebuilding phase ??
hard to say at this stage of the off season, but in my opinion at this moment the Swans, Giants, and Lions will dominate the comp and the Suns will improve big time .Thunder will be up there in the top 4 also..As of our local clubs, I see them having a hard time this year , because they just cant compete on the field with a list that is a huge financial burden.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
hard to say at this stage of the off season, but in my opinion at this moment the Swans, Giants, and Lions will dominate the comp and the Suns will improve big time .Thunder will be up there in the top 4 also..As of our local clubs, I see them having a hard time this year , because they just cant compete on the field with a list that is a huge financial burden.
Interesting time now that we are a couple of years into the restructured competition and the long term plans for the comp need to start unfolding. I think it is going to be a good season. I think Southport will bring plenty to the table this year, and I am hoping Redlands can continue to develop as they played some very good footy last year. I am not so sure that the AFL reserves sides will be dominant, as they will continue to play academy players and draftee's, against some experienced, hardened bodies of some of the regular NEAFL clubs. I am surprised a little with the amount of movement though from playing lists from year to year, that certainly does make things harder to really build a very good, experienced, quality playing group. Just my opinion as a casual fan.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pfeiffer - coach UNI

Yeah massive... He won't have to work for a full week bc of the money he is getting at the Roos.....

Tigertuff15

Draftee
Jan 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting time now that we are a couple of years into the restructured competition and the long term plans for the comp need to start unfolding. I think it is going to be a good season. I think Southport will bring plenty to the table this year, and I am hoping Redlands can continue to develop as they played some very good footy last year. I am not so sure that the AFL reserves sides will be dominant, as they will continue to play academy players and draftee's, against some experienced, hardened bodies of some of the regular NEAFL clubs. I am surprised a little with the amount of movement though from playing lists from year to year, that certainly does make things harder to really build a very good, experienced, quality playing group. Just my opinion as a casual fan.

Looks like the Qld teams may drop off a fraction this year, I'm not sure how the Syd Uni boys are looking, but the ACT teams are finding it a struggle at the moment by all accounts.

Ainslie will be competitive with the addition of a few good players from Belco, but will probably only maintain last years list and be in the mix for a finals spot without being genuine contenders.

Eastlake had big upheaval, the Footy manager has been "found out" and a new role created to babysit him for the remainder of his 3 year contract. Football Chair sacked and a new Footy committee put in place because the old structure paid lip service to football - members rarely seen at games or functions, no long term plan or direction.

A new professional coach should see the Demons start to improve its standards to the level required, but they are still struggling to attract/retain players and coaches, apparently they have offered $15-20k to multiple assistant coaching candidates who have all turned it down due to the way previous people have been shafted by the club over the last decade.

Some key signings in their playing coach, Garlick (Syd Hills) and Dowdell ( ex-Adelaide Crow) should see them be much more competitive on the field, but time is ticking to see if they can get it right off the field and maintain their spot in the NEAFL.

Interesting to see how this comp goes over the next year or 2.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Feeling a bit of sarcasm here??
Yeah spot on. Trust me ruthless he is getting a dollar to play and if he plays well will receive more but it's not the sort of money that would entice too many top shelf players. There is always false rumours that get thrown around in footy circles. That's life. But dans #1 motivation for playing is mates playing and rekindling old junior days.

Back