NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Here we go punters... out onto the track for some pre-season on a new forum...................

I'll lead the squad out into the great unknown by asking you Banana Benders about Surfers Paradise - I see three from the Southport Sharks have shifted to Surfers Paradise - what's the attraction ?
Not advancement opportunities surely. Is there more money at Surfers than at Southport ? If so then I'd be interested to know how that works because I just assumed that NEAFL clubs were more cashed up than local clubs. Could it be that the travel requirements are too much ?

Early days but I see that Sydney Uni has lost some key cattle but hasn't yet announced their signings - they are in a strong position seeing as they have a monopoly on NSW and seem to have strong relationships with the AFL.
I wondered whether Jed Turner might have decided to go back to bending bananas but he's not on the "Departing" list for the time being.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Here we go punters... out onto the track for some pre-season on a new forum...................

I'll lead the squad out into the great unknown by asking you Banana Benders about Surfers Paradise - I see three from the Southport Sharks have shifted to Surfers Paradise - what's the attraction ?
Not advancement opportunities surely. Is there more money at Surfers than at Southport ? If so then I'd be interested to know how that works because I just assumed that NEAFL clubs were more cashed up than local clubs. Could it be that the travel requirements are too much ?

Early days but I see that Sydney Uni has lost some key cattle but hasn't yet announced their signings - they are in a strong position seeing as they have a monopoly on NSW and seem to have strong relationships with the AFL.
I wondered whether Jed Turner might have decided to go back to bending bananas but he's not on the "Departing" list for the time being.
they are all good mates with pope would be my guess. he's an assistant coach there this year

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Hi Justa, hope you had a great xmas.
No it has been written or read wrong,they are meant to be blank as they are unsure of where they are going. Merrett is coaching at Bond Uni reserves a couple of grades down and Mills is talking to a couple of clubs including Coolangatta not Surfers I don't think.
It is the other way around Southport is cleaning out and they are becoming dangerous again, Fieldsy is rebuilding the place and plenty of change will happen over the next couple of years. I would say the juggernaut is being awakened with a smart football person now on the bridge.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
It is the other way around Southport is cleaning out and they are becoming dangerous again, Fieldsy is rebuilding the place and plenty of change will happen over the next couple of years. I would say the juggernaut is being awakened with a smart football person now on the bridge.
As you know, I'm 1200km south of you , in Emerald City and I used to be 2500km away south of the border in Mexico. So I have no idea of what I'm talking about (yes, it's been said before).
But I've followed Normy Dare since he played as a junior at my footy club in the early 1960s (and his dad was the club trainer, Craven Filter hanging out of his mouth as he ran out to give first aid !). And, following from afar as he coached Southport, I thought Normy Dare was going ok. And I was surprised when they shafted him a couple of years ago.
And now you say that the Sharks are becoming dangerous again and awakened - does that mean that they will get back to the Normy Dare era and that it was a mistake to sack him ?
PS - I watched the Sharks twice last season and I have to tell you that they didn't really impress, on-field or in the coaches box.

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As you know, I'm 1200km south of you , in Emerald City and I used to be 2500km away south of the border in Mexico. So I have no idea of what I'm talking about (yes, it's been said before).
But I've followed Normy Dare since he played as a junior at my footy club in the early 1960s (and his dad was the club trainer, Craven Filter hanging out of his mouth as he ran out to give first aid !). And, following from afar as he coached Southport, I thought Normy Dare was going ok. And I was surprised when they shafted him a couple of years ago.
And now you say that the Sharks are becoming dangerous again and awakened - does that mean that they will get back to the Normy Dare era and that it was a mistake to sack him ?
PS - I watched the Sharks twice last season and I have to tell you that they didn't really impress, on-field or in the coaches box.
Lots of coaches since Dare first time and a couple since last time, Boards don't sack themselves they usually sack coaches.Difference here is the back office is now in better shape, Untalented people are irrelevant now.With this club it was always about the quality of the decision making human resources not a money issue which it is for every other club in Australia.
Don't worry it took some sort of coaching :drunk: to take the talented top end list of 2014 out of finals into oblivion, so this issue has been around for a while.
They will still take time because culture takes time to rebuild but remember this post over the next couple of years.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would suggest Aspley will struggle to repeat their last three years of Grand Finals without their best two backmen.

Gavin Gross is overseas for three months mid season and Michael Hutchinson is unlikely to play as he has a new job.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would suggest Aspley will struggle to repeat their last three years of Grand Finals without their best two backmen.

Gavin Gross is overseas for three months mid season and Michael Hutchinson is unlikely to play as he has a new job.

Hole in Bucket,

Now lets not start having doubts in John Blair's coaching ability to cover for the above 2 losses, John is a master at pulling a rabbit out of his hat when needed, we all thought that with losing the quality of 7 or 8 that the Hornets lost after their Grand Final win they would struggle. then up stepped the Blair machine and Boom, grand final appearance no 3 in a row last year in one of the most formidable AFL football stadiums in the country, don't underestimate that performance, even though the record shows a nail bitting win to the Thunder and a loss to the never give up Hornets, it was a very, very close one when you take the barnacles off it. THUNDER deserved their win no doubt about that, but for the Hornets to travel to Darwin and nearly pinch the premiership, it was a grand, grand effort.
So with all that said, the loss of two players mentioned above may dent IMO for a short while the Hornets defensive stuctures, JB will devise a cunning plan and someone or someone's within the club will get an opportunity and chance to lift and become part of a new revamped defensive unit.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hole in Bucket,

Now lets not start having doubts in John Blair's coaching ability to cover for the above 2 losses, John is a master at pulling a rabbit out of his hat when needed, we all thought that with losing the quality of 7 or 8 that the Hornets lost after their Grand Final win they would struggle. then up stepped the Blair machine and Boom, grand final appearance no 3 in a row last year in one of the most formidable AFL football stadiums in the country, don't underestimate that performance, even though the record shows a nail bitting win to the Thunder and a loss to the never give up Hornets, it was a very, very close one when you take the barnacles off it. THUNDER deserved their win no doubt about that, but for the Hornets to travel to Darwin and nearly pinch the premiership, it was a grand, grand effort.
So with all that said, the loss of two players mentioned above may dent IMO for a short while the Hornets defensive stuctures, JB will devise a cunning plan and someone or someone's within the club will get an opportunity and chance to lift and become part of a new revamped defensive unit.

Billy Bunter,
agree,,,, Grose will be back after his overseas holiday anyway,,, ( and that news is from his father direct to me )
And from what Ive read so far,,Aspley have picked up some more then handy recruits .... have no doubt under Blairs coaching , they will be right up there

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sun's moving Forward (At Last):

The post below was noticed, while surfing on the Goldburn Valley site and I have copied it to here as it is IMO a note worthy story, by the looks of things it looks like the Suns are finally starting to get serious about their NEAFL Team, it seams they may have been given a shake up to improve or else, with this appointment of a very good playing coach???? Well in the least they have looked and acted to have a senior player capable to lead from the front and support the up and coming Sun's Academy top up boys and young listed players at the club. Small steps taken much too late IMO. A big Loss to Tatura Footy Club and the GVFL, but an important gain to NEAFL and the Sun's Football Department and the club moving forward.

CZKIAk6UkAAAvs-.jpg

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seeing that Aspley lost a quality ruckman and 2 quality midfielders last year and they still made the grand final. I think they'll be fine and also they had top quality players go on holidays during the year last year as well so they'll be fine

Damo,

I am with you on this, I see by the NEAFL website that the Thunder are recruiting some quality players from around the country, have any SOS'S been sent out around Australia to bring back some Aspley born Sons to give them and all other contenders a serious shake up at finals time this year?????? I have heard a good rumour that at least 5 quality past Hornet players, who have played AFL and VFL recently are planning to re-unite with the Hornets next year (2017) to give the great John Blair ( the rumour is - if he retires) a winning quality season send off, as most have put it - The best coach in the game (in QLD if not the Country) deserves the best final year of involvement the game that all players for and against him can give him. I hope he coaches from the Nursing home (when he does finally retire), but he would have to be real good to Maurine, too get her to drive him to and from training and to and from the games each week.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Damo,

I am with you on this, I see by the NEAFL website that the Thunder are recruiting some quality players from around the country, have any SOS'S been sent out around Australia to bring back some Aspley born Sons to give them and all other contenders a serious shake up at finals time this year?????? I have heard a good rumour that at least 5 quality past Hornet players, who have played AFL and VFL recently are planning to re-unite with the Hornets next year (2017) to give the great John Blair ( the rumour is - if he retires) a winning quality season send off, as most have put it - The best coach in the game (in QLD if not the Country) deserves the best final year of involvement the game that all players for and against him can give him. I hope he coaches from the Nursing home (when he does finally retire), but he would have to be real good to Maurine, too get her to drive him to and from training and to and from the games each week.

Ha ha ha ,,, good post Billy Bunter ,, cant agree more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
...It is the other way around Southport is cleaning out and they are becoming dangerous again, Fieldsy is rebuilding the place and plenty of change will happen over the next couple of years. I would say the juggernaut is being awakened with a smart football person now on the bridge...

Frase Thurlow says, “The professionalism is so much higher at Southport than what it was and that’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed since being back. Certainly the standard of the place has risen."
That's a nice old kick in the teeth to the recent heirarchy isn't it ?

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Frase Thurlow says, “The professionalism is so much higher at Southport than what it was and that’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed since being back. Certainly the standard of the place has risen."
That's a nice old kick in the teeth to the recent heirarchy isn't it ?

I don't think so. He hasn't been there for about 4 years the comp has changed a lot so of course the professionalism has increased.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think so. He hasn't been there for about 4 years the comp has changed a lot so of course the professionalism has increased.

I trust he brings a bit back to help the sharks improve, as he left with the club owing him nothing and him not living up to his potential at a club were nearly everyone got a chance, even the unknown chemists. Its a big call by the boy who was disappointed at not being selected at NEAFL Seniors level but rookie listed all the same????????

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those of us that have have watched the tragedy that has been the Qld Talent pathway over the last 10 years, it was interesting to see another of Mark Browning captains call's Joel Wilkinson out of the sport and off to the NFL.Watching a game of football for this man (Browning) must be like watching a polar bear in a snowstorm, the damage he has done to half a generation of footballers is immeasurable.I hope someone in the AFL is keeping a tally of the cheques they have been writing on his behalf, $$$Millions that could have gone to grass roots footy.

He must have a mentor watching over him in high places because even though he has been the architect of these hair brained schemes, with Academies and turnover he is the only one left here of the good old boys.

Just for his benefit, here is a quote from the National Newspaper article that sums it up:

"Ultimately, Wilkinson’s undoing in the AFL was his lack of understanding of the game and that again will be the key at the Cardinals"

Might apply to Browning as well except we are not fortunate enough that he is going to another code.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those of us that have have watched the tragedy that has been the Qld Talent pathway over the last 10 years, it was interesting to see another of Mark Browning captains call's Joel Wilkinson out of the sport and off to the NFL.Watching a game of football for this man (Browning) must be like watching a polar bear in a snowstorm, the damage he has done to half a generation of footballers is immeasurable.I hope someone in the AFL is keeping a tally of the cheques they have been writing on his behalf, $$$Millions that could have gone to grass roots footy.

He must have a mentor watching over him in high places because even though he has been the architect of these hair brained schemes, with Academies and turnover he is the only one left here of the good old boys.

Just for his benefit, here is a quote from the National Newspaper article that sums it up:

"Ultimately, Wilkinson’s undoing in the AFL was his lack of understanding of the game and that again will be the key at the Cardinals"

Might apply to Browning as well except we are not fortunate enough that he is going to another code.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Lifes a Beach,,,
so hear what you are saying... Let me tell you a factual story involving Browning.
Back in the mid 1990s my son ( Ben Dalgliesh) made the QLD under 18 side at 16 years of age. .. that year the national championships were played down in the Riverina area with games at Albury , Wagga,and Narrendera.
Qld were in division 2 and the coach was Mike Woolnough ( ex Geelong ) and John Gastev ( eagles and bears player ) .. Ben was awarded with the best and fairest player for QLD, came runner up in the Div 2 comp best and fairest to one Dean Rioli ( Essendon player ) and was named in the all australian team .
Another fact is the highest possesion winner during the comp was one Ben Cousins ,, averaging 37 touches a game ,,, my son was second averaging 35 touches a game from the midfield.My son was more of a ball magnet,, like Greg Williams in this era.
As a result ,, a number of clubs had Ben on their books to recruit ,, eg , Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast, Carlton and the Swans
Player;Manager at the time be it Ricky Nixon contacted me and asked to handle Bens affairs as he was 100% sure he would be drafted in the following season.
So come the next season and Ben is now 17..... Mark Browning has taken over as the coach ,,,,,, the comp that year is in Melbourne ,,, Browning decides to play Ben in the back pocket ... stating he needs to learn all positions of the game, not just be a ball magnet midfielder, ;;; well he plays Ben in the back pocket every game and drags him on numerous ocassions for not playing to instructions .
I pleaded to John Gastev to talk some sense into Browning,,, and in the final game of the comp , Browning put Ben into the midfield and he had 37 touches ..against Tassy,,,As a result, Ben didnt acheive any honours,,, the interested clubs dropped off him ... the kid was devestated,,,
He didnt get drafted, played in the Hampton football league the next season and as a 18 year old won the leagues best under 21 year old player,, then went and played for Saint Marys in the NT comp under coach Russell Jeffreys, and played in a flag win Jefferys , whom was a good friend with then Shane O Sullivan whom was the recruiting manager at the time for Carlton ,, expressed huge interest in Ben ,,, but you know what,, in Bens thoughts the horse had bolted,, he had enough ,,, he came to Perth and played for Subiaco for half a season and retired at 20 years of age,,,
Now please understand ,, My son may have not been good enough to make the cut ,, for many reasons,,, but he was crucified by Browning !!

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Lifes a Beach,,,
so hear what you are saying... Let me tell you a factual story involving Browning.
Back in the mid 1990s my son ( Ben Dalgliesh) made the QLD under 18 side at 16 years of age. .. that year the national championships were played down in the Riverina area with games at Albury , Wagga,and Narrendera.
Qld were in division 2 and the coach was Mike Woolnough ( ex Geelong ) and John Gastev ( eagles and bears player ) .. Ben was awarded with the best and fairest player for QLD, came runner up in the Div 2 comp best and fairest to one Dean Rioli ( Essendon player ) and was named in the all australian team .
Another fact is the highest possesion winner during the comp was one Ben Cousins ,, averaging 37 touches a game ,,, my son was second averaging 35 touches a game from the midfield.My son was more of a ball magnet,, like Greg Williams in this era.
As a result ,, a number of clubs had Ben on their books to recruit ,, eg , Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast, Carlton and the Swans
Player;Manager at the time be it Ricky Nixon contacted me and asked to handle Bens affairs as he was 100% sure he would be drafted in the following season.
So come the next season and Ben is now 17..... Mark Browning has taken over as the coach ,,,,,, the comp that year is in Melbourne ,,, Browning decides to play Ben in the back pocket ... stating he needs to learn all positions of the game, not just be a ball magnet midfielder, ;;; well he plays Ben in the back pocket every game and drags him on numerous ocassions for not playing to instructions .
I pleaded to John Gastev to talk some sense into Browning,,, and in the final game of the comp , Browning put Ben into the midfield and he had 37 touches ..against Tassy,,,As a result, Ben didnt acheive any honours,,, the interested clubs dropped off him ... the kid was devestated,,,
He didnt get drafted, played in the Hampton football league the next season and as a 18 year old won the leagues best under 21 year old player,, then went and played for Saint Marys in the NT comp under coach Russell Jeffreys, and played in a flag win Jefferys , whom was a good friend with then Shane O Sullivan whom was the recruiting manager at the time for Carlton ,, expressed huge interest in Ben ,,, but you know what,, in Bens thoughts the horse had bolted,, he had enough ,,, he came to Perth and played for Subiaco for half a season and retired at 20 years of age,,,
Now please understand ,, My son may have not been good enough to make the cut ,, for many reasons,,, but he was crucified by Browning !!

Are you sure your Ben's father? I knew him fairly well

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hear you StuyD1, so many stories...so much damage.
Never contrite, never learns from his mistakes, never tries to make up for what he did wrong, just PR spin to apportion the blame elsewhere.The Academies now provide some safety net that didn't exist back in the day but the mexicans here probably aren't much interested so we will move on.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lifes a Beach,,,

stuyd1,

Tragic story mate, it is one of too many when you see some of the no idea promoted athletes running around who have not got a clue and who are turning this great game at the top into one for sissy's and netballers, it tells me once again that AFL footballers are not born but are created by ego's of men and women who have the power to make it happen.

May I bring your attention to one Lee Spurr, again simular to your boy, he played well above his years as a junior Qld footballer, who under the protected AFLQ talent pathway we have here in Queensland, Lee eventually went on to play in the U/18 allies team in his draft year. I remember him sitting on the bench for a qrt and being dragged off and then on from the back pocket all game, as he was in most of Qld's U/18 representative games that season, but through all of this and then going on to be named in the Melbourne AFL report as one of the best players for this Allies game but not named in MB best players published here in Qld!!!!!!! That was the year that Fly McRae coached the Qld U/18 team and from memory, I think they got 12 players drafted or rookied from that year - but not Lee Spurr.

Lee then saw the writing on the wall and quickly moved to South Australia at the end of that year, far away from MB's controlling influence and opinions and played with Centrals in the SANFL, he did his time for a year in the seconds and when he did get his opportunity in the seniors, he was a regular who was named in the best players on most occasions when he laced up the boots. Lees was a player who everyone who watched him play here in Qld believed he could play at the higher level if given a chance, simular to Dane Zorco from Broadbeach AFLC and Matt Payne from Zillmere/Aspley.

The never give up attitude that Lee possessed drove him to be picked up by Freemantle as a rookie and he has now progressed not only to live out his dream of playing AFL football but is also a senior regular who is also now part of the leadership group of that club.

I often think of the 12 or so players who did get an AFL gig the year Lee was past by and think what are they doing now, some are just no bodies with a hand full of VFL, WAFL and SANFL games to their credit, some played a few AFL Games and are now probably working as car salesmen and the like, some have gone on carved out a career and are still playing at the AFL level but not many and at least one is currently in Jail and will be for an extensive period of time.

Lee through all of the disappointment of not being given a chance (and that is all it is, a chance) to for fill his childhood dream as a junior in the prime of his life and his game, waited patiently for his opportunity to arrive, coincidently while he waited he had the driven sense to enrol into University in South Australia and has now got his credentials as a fully fledged practicing Lawyer - So in a quirky way Mark Browning probably did him a huge favour, He to date, may not have won a Brownlow Medal, but he has a Medal of honour which he wears very proudly and hopefully Lee can sit in his place in the future quite comfortably, (I can only imagine) wondering who will be next in line for the man who makes the lives of so many young talented footballers into ones who end up hating the great game we all love.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think u may find just as many hard luck stories in every state from many kids and their parents stuyd! Bottom line is that unneed to persist to play elite level sport. If u can't despite injuries, selection set backs, then u aren't good enough to play at that level.
The players who end up playing afl footy aren't necessarily the most talented, just the most talented of those who persisted. If MB was shithouse at his job he would have been given he heave ho by now.
Personally think that if a kid who missed out on being drafted was legit he would have headed south pre NEAFL to see how he goes in the SANFL or VFL. If they didn't then really, they weren't fair dinkum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back