Chikka Ferguson.....................................56.....4..........60
getgaff...................................................55.....3(x).....58
Stuyd1...................................................54....4...........58
Billybunter.............................................54.....4..........58
justabaraker..........................................53.....4..........57
peanut...................................................53.....4..........57
ravenxau...............................................51....1(x)......52

Gilmore to the Demons?
Ally, i don't know any more than you - in fact, I probably know less - but I can't see that an ambitious coach would see a move from Syd Uni to Canberra as a forward step. Canberra is only a part-time job and Gilmore already has business interests on Sydney. You might be right but I doubt it. I reckon he's more likely to take on a coaching role with the Swans or GWS....the previous Syd Uni coach did exactly that !

It would make more sense to me for a Canberra local to take on the Canberra NEAFL job, and my thoughts turn to Kade Klemke or Mark Armstrong. Or another GWS Academy or even Canberra AFL/O&M/Riverina coach from down your way. Just guessing......

As for the SU job, my thoughts turn to Lewis Roberts Thomson who is the main assistant already, seems to relate well to the boys, is well connected in national AFL circles, and has valuable experience in elite footy.

As a wild card, I would throw in the coaching job at the East Coast Eagles (ex-NEAFL) in the Sydney comp. It would be a coveted job in a solid, professionally run club, and would be a great fit as a feeder club into the AFL system (or even into the NEAFL). An Academy coach might well see that as a forward step.

I'm like you in thinking that it will all be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
My Tips for Round 20

Sydney Uni: Students too strong for the directionless, still only Southern Capital Territory side.
Giants: Sleepers for the flag, B. Miller will want a season gained not pained, regardless of the game plan.
Thunder: One the Swans can afford to lose but not Thunder at this time of year.
Southport: Suns usually trip over the money when they play at the Sharks.

Ally, i don't know any more than you - in fact, I probably know less - but I can't see that an ambitious coach would see a move from Syd Uni to Canberra as a forward step. Canberra is only a part-time job and Gilmore already has business interests on Sydney. You might be right but I doubt it. I reckon he's more likely to take on a coaching role with the Swans or GWS....the previous Syd Uni coach did exactly that !

It would make more sense to me for a Canberra local to take on the Canberra NEAFL job, and my thoughts turn to Kade Klemke or Mark Armstrong. Or another GWS Academy or even Canberra AFL/O&M/Riverina coach from down your way. Just guessing......

As for the SU job, my thoughts turn to Lewis Roberts Thomson who is the main assistant already, seems to relate well to the boys, is well connected in national AFL circles, and has valuable experience in elite footy.

As a wild card, I would throw in the coaching job at the East Coast Eagles (ex-NEAFL) in the Sydney comp. It would be a coveted job in a solid, professionally run club, and would be a great fit as a feeder club into the AFL system (or even into the NEAFL). An Academy coach might well see that as a forward step.

I'm like you in thinking that it will all be interesting to watch.
I agree that Klemke would be a good choice as a playing coach. Hes a bloody good player in his own right (was on Essendons list i believe) and the Demons have been actively chasing him.
I would ask Pete McGrath who is currently coaching GWS academy and John Harper (Demons assistant at present) to act as senior assistants. McGrath was a champion player in his day and is highly respected/well liked as a coach. He also has strong Riverina connections, an area Demons reaslly want to focus on.
Harper is one of the most credentialled coaches in NSW. i think hes a level 3. has coached in SA and the ACT, NSW Rams, GWS Academy and was Blairs assistant last year Neafl V Tasmania.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

ROUND 20

Canberra v Sydney Uni
Giants v Redland
Thunder v Swans
Southport v Gold Coast

My tips:-
Sydney Uni
Giants
Thunder
Gold Coast

Can I just say (not a justasay) but this time comes to Justabaracker - He or She who tips each week without a side being even thought about or picked just after the round results have ben posted that has in part struck home to me - Forget who is the winner but who either he or she who has the passion wins not only the footy tipping but the supporters medal matter what!!!!!!!

Thank you Justa for being a believier in this apparant no one can win by being part of it, this new AFL competition North of Melbourne - Sorry for my late tips over the year but at the end of the day he or she who supports our league wins, the rest can kiss my very old and barnacled paper used dock. I have loved your work all year, thank you for being a suporter of the new feared NEALF League - Those that laughed can and will only do so for a short period of time - Be warned we who now understand the game and what it takes to be part of it, are here amoung you - so watch your butts as the north East are comming and we are comming hard.
Teach your Kids in the South to appreciate the game and the name AFL and not just expect it to happen to them to be part of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just say (not a justasay) but this time comes to Justabaracker - He or She who tips each week without a side being even thought about or picked just after the round results have ben posted that has in part struck home to me - Forget who is the winner but who either he or she who has the passion wins not only the footy tipping but the supporters medal matter what!!!!!!!

Thank you Justa for being a believier in this apparant no one can win by being part of it, this new AFL competition North of Melbourne - Sorry for my late tips over the year but at the end of the day he or she who supports our league wins, the rest can kiss my very old and barnacled paper used dock. I have loved your work all year, thank you for being a suporter of the new feared NEALF League - Those that laughed can and will only do so for a short period of time - Be warned we who now understand the game and what it takes to be part of it, are here amoung you - so watch your butts as the north East are comming and we are comming hard.
Teach your Kids in the South to appreciate the game and the name AFL and not just expect it to happen to them to be part of.
No, no research goes into my tips - and that's why I am equal second last. I pick the Swans and Giants, pick against Brisbane and Canberra then pin the tail on the donkey for the rest.
I don't know who's who in teams other than Sydney Uni. And even then, I'm scratchy.

But I like watching a good game of footy, whoever is playing....comes from living in Melbourne with its ground rationalisation. And I love walking out to a NEAFL huddle and casually standing next to famous people like Kevin Sheedy, John Longmire, Jared Brennan, Lewis Roberts Thomson, Rhys Shaw, Xavier Clarke and Nick Davis.
NEAFL brings high quality footy to the 'burbs.

watched uni v demons sat. good game in somewhat tricky conditions.....breeze was quite swirly. uni missed a few shots that may be put down to conditions.
no young and winmar was out of game early.
however dees certainly showed plenty of spirit all day, something i reckon they can hang their hats on all year, and made uni fight hard for the win.
long periods of pressure by canberra were broken up by more poised use of the footy by uni. Unis forward entries were better all day.
to me, uni had canberra at arms length all day but never looked like smashing them. credit to the dees.
spoke to gilmour before the game....he looked like he was ready to play! very knowledgeable man and super passionate. i expect he will bob up somewhere else soon. he said he was very keen to keep coaching. LRT to Uni...Gilmour to Swans?
uni structures around the footy are very strong. i look forward to watching them in this years finals.
i thought Baker and Bruce played strong 4 quarters. there is a lot to like about canberra.
behind the scenes a commitment for 5 years by canberra to the NEAFL appears imminent...new coach and aggressive recruiting (including a gun FF) and a determined appetite for success may should see canberra develop quickly.
hope so.

NEAFL TIPPING COMP - after week 20
Ally Craft................................................60.......2........62
Chikka Ferguson.....................................60.......2........62
getgaff...................................................58.......3........61
Billybunter.............................................58.......3........61
justabaraker..........................................57.......4........61
Stuyd1...................................................58......2.........60
Peanut...................................................57.......2........59
ravenxau...............................................52.......3........55

Wow, talk about a logjam at the top ! One round to go and any of seven could win the coveted prize (just a reminder...bragging rights but no cash, sorry).

Apols to Chikka - you got 2.

Last edited:
NEAFL TIPPING COMP - after week 20
Ally Craft................................................60.......2........62
Chikka Ferguson.....................................60.......1........61
getgaff...................................................58.......3........61
Billybunter.............................................58.......3........61
justabaraker..........................................57.......4........61
Stuyd1...................................................58......2.........60
Peanut...................................................57.......2........59
ravenxau...............................................52.......3........55

Wow, talk about a logjam at the top ! One round to go and any of seven could win the coveted prize (just a reminder...bragging rights but no cash, sorry)
Did I get 1 or 2?

Thunder
Giants
Swans
Gold Coast
Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back