NEAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Sydney Uni has unveiled their new coach for 2017. Interesting.
He will be on training wheels, but if enthusiasm and attention to detail are what it takes then he might be the man for the job.
The Uni website says that he looks forward to bringing a premiership to the trophy cabinet....hey, they ALL say that, don't they ? But he is up against some heavy rollers like the UWS, Swans and John Blair.
My guess is that the best NEAFL teams will be the ones that can attract the best players from outside, as Ally Craft pointed out..."now for some players". From what you people say, John Blair seems to have always been able to do that, Canberra will do that through a coaching panel of very well credentialled networkers, and the AFL teams have streams of strong juniors guaranteed.
And it will be interesting to see whether Uni has the pulling power to attract strong players from interstate. They rely heavily on West Australians and the new coach comes from there so perhaps he still knows people who can play a bit.

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
good luck to Morrison....he has a pretty good history of coaching over the years from juniors to premier U18s in W.A. through to seniors. he knows Uni setup and they obviously know him.
Big footsteps to fill however....
Uni seems to be a different club in that it can offer that "further education' lure. they seem to have been able to attract quality players. Are they growing any of their own???

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Uni seems to be a different club in that it can offer that "further education' lure. they seem to have been able to attract quality players. Are they growing any of their own???
The trouble with our little forum here is that we have no contributors from Sydney Uni. And I don't accurately know how the club rolls.
They have affiliations with junior community clubs and send players to kids' training, as most clubs do.
The gun kids of the area are locked in by the Swans Academy (as happens in League, Union, golf, basketball, tennis, etc) and I suppose that Uni gets some use of those kids. Uni has lower teams that would be a catchment for young kids and I suppose that some of them graduate up the ranks. But, as for us all, there is a mighty drop-off at 18yo or so when they discover part-time jobs, travel, girls, study.
But hardly any of their NEAFL players have come up through the ranks within Uni footy - they have come through the players' network, or the attractive academic incentives or have been placed there in the NEAFL environment from other clubs in Sydney.

But I wish there was a contributor on here from the Uni who actually knows what they're talking about...I'm just a footy lover who goes down to the park to watch the best footy available.

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Josh Bennett huge get for Demons...key forward who has already proved himself at this level. Milne (ruckman/key defender) also will improve the side. Klemke adds plenty in the backline. Swan is a bigger body who could play CHB. Good bloke who will be a great influence around the club. Not sure if he will star at this level tho as he can be pretty rough with the footy, but his size will help the younger Dees.
So far, recruiting-wise, its an 8 from me!

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Nick Salter played for Port Power and then was a gun with Ainslie.
Now he's to play suburban footy in Sydney. And there's no way back from there . .!

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nick Salter played for Port Power and then was a gun with Ainslie.
Now he's to play suburban footy in Sydney. And there's no way back from there . .!
spoke with salts before ACT GF this year.......his back is stuffed. not surprised that he'll just play local footy from now on. personally, i was dreading that he'd sign with Uni!

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
spoke with salts before ACT GF this year.......his back is stuffed. not surprised that he'll just play local footy from now on. personally, i was dreading that he'd sign with Uni!
Uni is all Sports scientists and bio-mechanics wonks - they would have spotted him from a mile off...!

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Uni is all Sports scientists and bio-mechanics wonks - they would have spotted him from a mile off...!
Tom "the soup" Young is a massive loss for both Uni and Neafl. IMO the most consistently damaging midfielder we've seen. Does that bring Uni back a bit?

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Tom "the soup" Young is a massive loss for both Uni and Neafl. IMO the most consistently damaging midfielder we've seen. Does that bring Uni back a bit?
In the last couple of weeks, Uni has lost their coach, GM and best player. So, yes, it seems to bring them back to the field a bit.
But premierships aren't won in November...you lose your cattle at season's end, they go to the sale yards, then you buy up the new cattle and see how it has all gone by pre-season.
We look forward to finding out who Uni picks up.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Your Canberra Demons did well to strike early and l can't wait to see how they go next year. l drove past Manuka the other week and got excited just being nearby ..!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the last couple of weeks, Uni has lost their coach, GM and best player. So, yes, it seems to bring them back to the field a bit.
But premierships aren't won in November...you lose your cattle at season's end, they go to the sale yards, then you buy up the new cattle and see how it has all gone by pre-season.
We look forward to finding out who Uni picks up.

I do not represent Uni in any capacity but follow them due to various close connections. Haven't been reading here for a while but came upon this thread via a "Bookmarks" clean up a few weeks back.

Couple of comments - don't overestimate Gilmore's impact. Yes very significant, but even though he was coach he was never a spiritual leader of the playing group and he also was a polarizing character for the rest of the club so had an unsustainable style. Morrison has been there the whole time since NEAFL entry and has full support of club and playing group. Remains to be seen re: recruiting and game day success - Young a massive loss of course but with the Club well established now as the only Sydney team I know they have lots of people call them these days - their issues are lack of $ and lack of state league facility. On GM loss not a big worry as he was promoted internally so departing GM will actually manage incoming GM so if anything more depth and spread over the program (Gilmore the only departure of significance footy dept wise).

Last edited:

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Jumbo prince,
Great to have your input and thanks for clarifying. Hope to hear more from you as Uni has no speakers on this forum. You make it sound like Uni might go ok next season , if the new coach can pull rabbits out of hats.

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your Canberra Demons did well to strike early and l can't wait to see how they go next year. l drove past Manuka the other week and got excited just being nearby ..!
Ben Dowdell has left the Dees....big loss as he was our no1 ruckman. Going OS. Demons also missed out on Liam Griffiths (ex Ainslie, AFL AIS member who has been playing VFL.) Hes going to Sydney Uni. Good pickup for them. Quick, clean and pretty neat with footy.

May 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hey banana benders.......what are we to make of the cleanout at the Lions ? Will Mitch Hahn make a difference..?
Well going on the last couple of seasons maybe a good clean out is what was required at the Gabba, Mitch Hahn seems to be a popular selection from a player perspective, well respected. Hopefully pick a couple of quality kids up in the draft with picks 3 ,16,21,and 22.And it will be interesting to see how Matt Eagles goes after winning this years recruit.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Courtney Dempsey played under Blairy at Morningside and will be announced as an Aspley player very soon.

Impressive news HIB (welcome to the NEAFL forum), although there is always considered loyalty (one would think in old associations). I hear his old club in Cairns is very, very interested in his services and the current $$$$$ offered to join them, makes the Hornets look like a club without the obvious revenue they currently have.

If CD gets this figured Coin offered I have heard about at either club - I might think about making a rookie start to NEAFL Footy at age 52 (well we all need a bit more superannuation don't we??????). If correct, it also might mean that a lot of loyal players at most clubs, currently are very much under paid for their expected 4 days a week service toward the win of their clubs success this year and the all important holy grail!!!!!!

Are there any other player movements that are happening on the grape vine to and from the NEAFL - this coming season, this is after the silly elite drafting period that everyone holds their hat on?

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey banana benders.......what are we to make of the cleanout at the Lions ? Will Mitch Hahn make a difference..?

I am with Thunderdoc's earlier comments on this one - I don't expect too much improvement, as I heard they have only ordered half of the usual amount of socks this year, than that in previous years - as the coaching staff this year won't be telling the players to pull their socks up as they will know they will only be wearing one each - Drafting stock, not much improvement, I think Laughing stock will still be the situ again this year. Coaching changes, change training and playing patterns and structures - Not culture!!!!! Stronger demanding Players change culture and not much currently has changed IMO!!!!!!!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Reckon there will be a big improvement in the Lions and especially the Suns injuries allowing. Fagan will improve everything from culture to playing style imo.

Anyone have news on Trent Stubbs (ex Hawthorn scholarship, Collingwood rookie) supposed return to Sydney Uni after a year with West Adelaide? Am a distant relative of his so always sort of try keep up to date with his happenings but not close enough to speak to him or the fam haha

Also, hoping NT Thunder do well under Hodges. Was glad he got the job over Aaron Davey, means Davey keeps playing for Palmerston in the NTFL :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back