NEAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
A New Year means a new forum for NEAFL watchers.
All the best to you all for 2018 and may your team have great success.

And happy Posting...

Cam Illett has been killing it in the NTFL so far this year, so no surprise he's backflipped on the retirement. Seems Vea Vea and Weetra are on their way out though, heading down to the SANFL. Going to be an interesting year though!

a2f0d2bb2a46599c178d219cf386c83b.jpg

Not sure if it’s a joke, but NT Thunder just announced McLeod has signed on. No idea how old he is though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ally,
We're going to be staying with family in Canberra for a week - where are your Demons setting up their training base.? Last year it was at McKillop l think.
Demons have picked up some really good young talent,Angus Baker,JarrodOsborne,Harry Carr from the swans Academy and premiership player at the Giants Connor Owen Auburn. Canberra could just be a smokey for finals in 2018...

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ally,
We're going to be staying with family in Canberra for a week - where are your Demons setting up their training base.? Last year it was at McKillop l think.
sorry for late reply JAB .....AWOL! The boys are training In Aranda Mon, Tues and Thurs. A few new faces but most of them are coming off injuries!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The standard of the NEAFL gets criticised but I note the result on the weekend with Canberra (7th last year) beating Albury (grand finalists last year) by 122 points.

Only one match of course and who knows who was and wasn’t playing, but the O & M known as right up there with the best country leagues in Australia and a string club like Albury well beaten.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The standard of the NEAFL gets criticised but I note the result on the weekend with Canberra (7th last year) beating Albury (grand finalists last year) by 122 points.

Only one match of course and who knows who was and wasn’t playing, but the O & M known as right up there with the best country leagues in Australia and a string club like Albury well beaten.

Premier,
u know the Albury Tigers are my old club where im still very involved in their going ons ... let me tell you they fielded not much better then a reserve grade side
with 10 of their best players not playing,they played 3 recruits, 5 players that are on the verge of becoming regulars and 3 young talents that are still eligible for the under 18 comp.
So I would not take any notice of the result.. whatsoever.
As a opinion, if both sides played each other at full strength , I think maybe the NEAFL side would win ,, but not by much .
Neafl is a good standard comp now , as are the top 5 sides in the QAFL ...where the standard of comps in country victoria have dropped over the past 10 years due to running costs, over the above player payments to so called gun recruits etc

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
To add to my comments .... country footy in victoria over the past 10 years has seen a number of comps fold, a number of clubs merge with a neighbouring club, and clubs simply folding. The standard of the historically big strong leagues such as the Ovens & Murray , GVFL, Ballarat , Bendigo comps have dropped .Even the major Melbourne surburban comps have merged into 4 comps ,, be it Northern and Southern comps. Geelong and Mornington Penisula.

What im getting at , is the fact that going to watch a NEAFL is as good as a standard you will see compared to the major victorian comps ... and as I commented, the top 5 sides in the QAFL provide a good standard of footy as well.
So I feel we in QLD footy are going ok standard wise. Time we appreciated it .

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
With the start of the season upon us, it's time to start up a tipping competition.

I can do it if needed but I seem to do it a bit too often - is there another who will step up to the plate for us ? It's not a big job.

footyhead247

Draftee
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Premier,
u know the Albury Tigers are my old club where im still very involved in their going ons ... let me tell you they fielded not much better then a reserve grade side
with 10 of their best players not playing,they played 3 recruits, 5 players that are on the verge of becoming regulars and 3 young talents that are still eligible for the under 18 comp.
So I would not take any notice of the result.. whatsoever.
As a opinion, if both sides played each other at full strength , I think maybe the NEAFL side would win ,, but not by much .
Neafl is a good standard comp now , as are the top 5 sides in the QAFL ...where the standard of comps in country victoria have dropped over the past 10 years due to running costs, over the above player payments to so called gun recruits etc

I went and watched one of the young fellers I know play for the Demons and he said they still have 8 boys that can come into their side and 4 of them are their top 5 players that being Swan (runner up bnf), Bruce (leading goal kicker), Halse (players player) and coach Klemke (4th in bnf). I'm a victorian and I also agree that country leagues are no where near what they used to be. From my observation a lot of good country teams like Albury could match NEAFL's top 10 players but if falls away pretty quickly from there. Even on the weekend the demons didn't have a weak player and were pretty even across the board. I spoke to someone at Albury and they said the salary cap and points have limited them from getting more players which has made them a bit weaker also Hyde, Daley, Cross etc aren't getting any younger. NEAFL seems to be getting stronger and i disagree Albury would match it with NEAFL sides. Maybe 5 years ago when those guys were younger. I heard the coach say they may need to look at playing other sides for practice games because thats twice they smashed Albury. They play Lavington this weekend full strength so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I went and watched one of the young fellers I know play for the Demons and he said they still have 8 boys that can come into their side and 4 of them are their top 5 players that being Swan (runner up bnf), Bruce (leading goal kicker), Halse (players player) and coach Klemke (4th in bnf). I'm a victorian and I also agree that country leagues are no where near what they used to be. From my observation a lot of good country teams like Albury could match NEAFL's top 10 players but if falls away pretty quickly from there. Even on the weekend the demons didn't have a weak player and were pretty even across the board. I spoke to someone at Albury and they said the salary cap and points have limited them from getting more players which has made them a bit weaker also Hyde, Daley, Cross etc aren't getting any younger. NEAFL seems to be getting stronger and i disagree Albury would match it with NEAFL sides. Maybe 5 years ago when those guys were younger. I heard the coach say they may need to look at playing other sides for practice games because thats twice they smashed Albury. They play Lavington this weekend full strength so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Footyhead, I never said Albury would match it with any Neafl sides at all.... I said at full strength Canberra would still beat Albury , but not by much ,,, like 6 or 7 goals ,,, not 22 goals .
So for Albury to match it with the AFL ressie sides ,,, well that would be 15 goal hidings .

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Already this year the fixture is compromised isnt it? The AFL ressies playing each other more often and the others play each other. What was a strange set up last season, but in some ways I understood why, is now a joke imo. The QAFL would be so much better with these teams there, and I think surely many supporters would prefer it surely rather than be ' making up the numbers' helping AFL ressies develop their youth.

The Brisbane and Gold Coast kids come through the academy and play ressies or go to their QAFL aligned teams and play seniors. Suns and lions can put more fulltime mature agers that are not on their list, like the Melb VFL teams do, rather than the ridiculous situation playing 16/17 year old academy kids who are not at NEAFL level. Only if they are good enough do they play ressies for the Suns. If not, they play QAFL, which is at a higher level with Southport etc. (sorry Sandgate!!)

Basher101

Rookie
May 12, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rumour has it that Grayson has been moved on by the Sharks, it’s a shame he was a good player but miles ahead of himself, looked as though he thought he was still on the Suns list the way he struts.
Wonder where he’ll show up next?

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
With the start of the season upon us, it's time to start up a tipping competition.

I can do it if needed but I seem to do it a bit too often - is there another who will step up to the plate for us ? It's not a big job.
Go on....someone on our forum must be willing to have a go !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back