NEAFL 2018

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
watched the Lions belt Redlands today ... just hard to watch a local suburban club playing a AFL ressies club with some 10 to 15 listed players in their team .
And its a sad issue when a crowd of only some 400 people attend !!!!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
watched the Lions belt Redlands today ... just hard to watch a local suburban club playing a AFL ressies club with some 10 to 15 listed players in their team .
And its a sad issue when a crowd of only some 400 people attend !!!!

Also,,, poor form in the catering stakes, as it took 10 minutes to get a steak sandwich, not to mention they had no change ( $ 6.50 , I had a 10 dollar note ) and I couldnt even buy a coffee ,,, as they didnt provide this ..... wow,,, such a poor picture for a NEAFL game . ,,,

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also,,, poor form in the catering stakes, as it took 10 minutes to get a steak sandwich, not to mention they had no change ( $ 6.50 , I had a 10 dollar note ) and I couldnt even buy a coffee ,,, as they didnt provide this ..... wow,,, such a poor picture for a NEAFL game . ,,,

Im very impressed with Canberra and the way they are playing at the moment, for the first time in their short history, they have won 4 in a row.. Have been super competitive in season 2018.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im very impressed with Canberra and the way they are playing at the moment, for the first time in their short history, they have won 4 in a row.. Have been super competitive in season 2018.

Hey Pinocchio, looks like the Boys are having a huge form reversal from the club they were over the last couple of years, which is great news for Canberra, it is really hard to get enthused in a comp that is being euthanized in the very near future these days, even with the mighty Hornets playing great footy as well. Lets hope the transition for the non AFL clubs will be as smooth as possible!!!!! But I see another s**t fight coming up when and if they re-join their respected State Competitions.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Holman ended up at Mayne I heard BB??

Sad for Ryan and Aspley if this is the case as I was unaware of this development, I believed he was at Morningside playing in the QAFL waiting for a re-call to the Hornets side, he is a Morningside product who has performed admirally for the Hornets in the NEAFL since joining and was a big part in our Premiership year win over the Swans (who can ever forget that one for the ages), he will be missed if this is the case as he was a good club man and still is IMO a very handy player. Players come and go but when they leave they will never be forgotten and past players play a big part in the Hornet culture.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey, do any of you know we catch up with NEAFL Tribunal findings ?

justa,
My understanding on your question is - Unless you are there, or you are assosiated with the players club who was reported or the players Club who was offended not much gets out of NEAFL HQ, sometimes the Jungle Drum beats but not to many cases are open for Joe Public to reflect on or read about.

Jun 30, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Pinocchio, looks like the Boys are having a huge form reversal from the club they were over the last couple of years, which is great news for Canberra, it is really hard to get enthused in a comp that is being euthanized in the very near future these days, even with the mighty Hornets playing great footy as well. Lets hope the transition for the non AFL clubs will be as smooth as possible!!!!! But I see another s**t fight coming up when and if they re-join their respected State Competitions.

Hi Billy - what makes you say "comp that is being euthanized" ? I thought when I saw the draw this year and the afl teams playing each other so much it was further bad sign re: commitment to the other clubs but I haven't heard much else. I did see some media about an expanded VFL team but that was denied publicly by AFL.... What's your view or intel if able to say ?

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Hi Billy - what makes you say "comp that is being euthanized" ? I thought when I saw the draw this year and the afl teams playing each other so much it was further bad sign re: commitment to the other clubs but I haven't heard much else. I did see some media about an expanded VFL team but that was denied publicly by AFL.... What's your view or intel if able to say ?
Yes, I'm waiting to hear from the Big Bill too - I'm not hearing it from anywhere else, and all teams need certainty so they can plan going forward. There's no point in the AFL keeping it to themselves if it's all locked in already.

Go Billy Bunter...tell all...!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, I'm waiting to hear from the Big Bill too - I'm not hearing it from anywhere else, and all teams need certainty so they can plan going forward. There's no point in the AFL keeping it to themselves if it's all locked in already.

Go Billy Bunter...tell all...!

The AFL is planning a AFL reserves comp for season 2020 is the go ,,,, from the CEOS mouth himself at the AFL season launch in Qld which I attended.
Therefore, Aspley, Southport and Redland will return to the Qafl comp.

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL is planning a AFL reserves comp for season 2020 is the go ,,,, from the CEOS mouth himself at the AFL season launch in Qld which I attended.
Therefore, Aspley, Southport and Redland will return to the Qafl comp.

From my understating there will be reserves comp in 2020,
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Geelong
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
St kilda
Carlton 10 teams maybe Tasmania coming in, but they will not reck the WAFL,SAFL or NEAFL.
So the other leagues will stay the same, people are getting confused when they hear AFL reserves and thinking every club is coming into it, only the 10 victorian clubs have been considered...

Jun 30, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
That is what I heard was the most likely development. However I wouldn't put it past the AFL to change its mind or further bastardise the NEAFL comp in some way. To be honest I doubt they look more than 2 seasons ahead if that, NEAFL itself has changed how many times since its inception......The worry is for the non-AFL clubs who've invested years and millions in propping up the comp and they don't get the certainty they deserve to plan for their clubs. This is despite the massive heavy lifting they do in providing the "pathways" and competition for the professionals.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My mail is that the NEAFns
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Geelong
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
St kilda
Carlton 10 teams maybe Tasmania coming in, but they will not reck the WAFL,SAFL or NEAFL.
So the other leagues will stay the same, people are getting confused when they hear AFL reserves and thinking every club is coming into it, only the 10 victorian clubs have been considered...

pinocchio,,,, thanks for this info ,,,, now that sounds more like what should occur .

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Geelong
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
St kilda

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pinocchio,

I too was understanding that it was a total reserve team format from what I had been told, which is the way it should be IMO, the NEAFL Comp (although continually changing to suit the AFL Reserve Teams) is still a very AFL biased comp. The North Eastern AFL Reserve sides x 4 when they play against the non AFL sides in the NEAFL Comp is like kissing your sister (apologies to our Tasmanian friends) it is a kiss but you don't go bragging about it. Our two Qld senior AFL sides are languishing at the bottom of the senior Ladder with the Giants about to suffer soon what the Suns and Lions are going through currently, great at the start but over ridden by the traditional sides IMO. The only way, again IMO to get the listed players in the Non Victorian AFL sides playing to their potential, is to have them playing in a structured AFL Reserve's Competition through out the whole country. The AFL spend just as much money on NEAFL sides travelling each week as they would to have the all of the AFL reserve sides travelling with their senior sides. To bring a Tasmanian side into a Victorian AFL Competition would be a bigger joke, as they struggle to beat a NEAFL side each year and it would decimate Tassie footy, like the NEAFL cleaned out Canberra, Sydney etc. NT Thunder again IMO would slip into the SANFL Competition perfectly. The other teams would slide back into their state and territory leagues where they should be.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Geelong
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
St kilda

If nothing else, the two Adelaide clubs are 4 years into a 15 year deal in the SANFL. With West Coast and East Perth ending their partnership, if they can't get the standalone reserves team in the WAFL I suppose there's a chance they might also be keen for the Victorian AFL reserves comp too though?

Jun 30, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
So what do people think, are any of the community clubs a realistic chance of a tilt at the flag? My sense is the Lions, Swans and even the Giants again might be too strong at this time of year - as ever in this comp usually...

Grand final on Sunday. Swans having the senior team knocked out has resulted in guys like Rohan Marsh Fox and Towers being ineligible which may be enough to swing the favouritism to Southport.

Full credit must go to Stephen Daniel for turning it all around in one season. From 9th to minor premiers and possibly a flag is a huge achievement. Also points to the disarray that was the Nathan Bock era.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Full credit must go to Stephen Daniel for turning it all around in one season. From 9th to minor premiers and possibly a flag is a huge achievement. Also points to the disarray that was the Nathan Bock era.

Full marks to Stephen Daniel and the Sharks on Saturday, the game was played on what you could call Lake Southport!!! I was shocked when I arrived at the ground as this was the wettest I have ever seen the playing surface in all of my years of following Qld Footy, the rain we got here on the north side of Brisbane was very little, having said that, both sides had the same conditions and the sharks (pardon the pun) handled the surface water a lot better that the Hornets did.

I think the way the Sharks played and if they repeat this form, it could very well be another Premiership to a non direct AFL associated side this year. The Swans will need to bring their best game to Southport to win this one I feel.

Good luck to both teams this weekend and well done to all the other teams in the comp this year, it has been a great year with Canberra being the side which has evolved as one to beat in 2019.

Back